U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times

Advertisements

It is also good to work on eliminating food aggression in dogs, especially pit bulls. If your pit bull has food aggression issues, that can be bad news, for a dog that will bite down, and hold with 1200 psi. I think we all agree, if you have dog, especially a larger breed dog, then you really have to put the work in to train the dog appropriately. Big dogs require alot of exercise, and training. I can't stand to see dogs at the shelter because they were not properly trained in the beginning, like people expect perfect dogs?!

I worked HOURS with my dog, Sam, every day, training him, because he was such a bad puppy he drove me insane, he was a big giant puppy baby...he did not know what was correct behavior. And dogs are not going to learn it just sitting in the yard, or watching TV...having a well trained dog is the best gift you can give your self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:10 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
1200 PSI ?????????? lol Pit Bull Rescue Central

Old 07-18-2011, 05:34 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,228,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is also good to work on eliminating food aggression in dogs, especially pit bulls. If your pit bull has food aggression issues, that can be bad news, for a dog that will bite down, and hold with 1200 psi. I think we all agree, if you have dog, especially a larger breed dog, then you really have to put the work in to train the dog appropriately. Big dogs require alot of exercise, and training. I can't stand to see dogs at the shelter because they were not properly trained in the beginning, like people expect perfect dogs?!

I worked HOURS with my dog, Sam, every day, training him, because he was such a bad puppy he drove me insane, he was a big giant puppy baby...he did not know what was correct behavior. And dogs are not going to learn it just sitting in the yard, or watching TV...having a well trained dog is the best gift you can give your self.
No canine in existence has a bit force of 1,200 PSI. A dog's bite is directly proportional to the size of their head. The bigger the mouth, the stronger the bite. American Pit Bull Terriers are not particularly large dogs, and have an average bite force of 235 PSI. A German Shepard is larger, and has an average bite force of 328 PSI. An English Mastiff is the largest, and has an average bite force of 556 PSI.

APBTs bite force is not even impressive by other canine standards.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM

I did not look it up, I just read that some place...sorry...but none the less...train the dog...food aggression is bad news.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,688,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

APBTs bite force is not even impressive by other canine standards.
Lol, tell that too someone that has been attacked by one.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:28 PM

93 posts, read 112,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Lol, tell that too someone that has been attacked by one.
I would rather be attacked by a pit bull then a german shepard or mastiff. I'll never forget watching my neighbors german shepard chew on a tree trunk for fun.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 PM

My cousin was severely disfigured by an Akita, who ripped into his face. My cousin had just come into the kitchen, and did not realize the owner had just put a bowl of food down for the dog. He went to hug the dog, whom he played with frequently played with.

The dog went crazy, ripped his cheek, his nose, and bit into his eye.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM

86 posts, read 266,503 times
The Akita Inu should never be messed with when it's eating. When the Akita is eating it is extremely protective of it's own food, and it may thing you are trying to steal it, etc. Whatever you do do not mess with the Akita while he or she is eating. I do know that there are other dogs out there that are just as defendant of their food. If you have a kid I won't suggest an Akita anyway. They might walk into the room while the Akita is eating, and boy there won't be a good ending there.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,130,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Our puppy is showing no signs of food aggression, so far. If our Golden is eating out of her dish, the pup will sometimes push her way in and eat out of the dish, too.

At what age does food aggression typically show up in a dog? Our pup is roughly 10 weeks now.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM

521 posts, read 999,030 times
Default thanks for speaking the truth princessbing, you're great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbing68 View Post
And for those of you that are in favour of dog parks, I am sitting here shaking my head. I don't care if there are more favorable outcomes than non-favorable. I own an APBT and he is very well trained. I dare not take him to a dog park because I know what he may be capable of. It is a gamble taking this breed to a dog park and APBT's do not need doggy friends much to the dismay of the people that insist their pibbly poo needs doggy friends. I hold my dog to a higher standard because of the negativity toward the breed. I feel if something should happen I would be held accountable because I am the one with the APBT. It takes one more negative story for the media to jump all over it and to give the people in favour of BSL more ammunition.

To the OP if you want a link of why dog parks a huge no no for people with pit bulls, let me know. You will see stories on there with major consquences against the owner of the pit bull. And like many people the owner NEVER had a problem taking the pit bull to a park.

I see this alot in agressive breeds, chows, pitbulls, dobermans, german shepherds..
while they want to think their dog is fine & dandy palling with other dogs, in many cases, it's just not so!

Our dogs have been attacked numerous times by pitbulls, and they didn't do anything to provoke it either.. It's just in their nature, to be aggressive... it in their bloodlines... there's not much you can do, but try to actively get them to NOT be aggressive.
However, it's hard to get your dog to NOT do, what his instincts tell him to.
we've had hunting dogs, and it's so hard to not get them to bark, to sniff around when you take them walking, to go AFTER things, like retrieving sticks and such, cuz it's been BRED into them to do these things.

Yeah. I want to take my dog to a dog park too, but I'm afraid to. Our dog's very gentle and sweet and doesn't fight back, even when attacked.
I've seen attacked about a half a dozen times in the last few months and I'm terrified for him... our dog won't fight back.. our dog is big too.. over 70 lbs!

it's good to finally see a pitbull owner who realizes that her/his dog can be a danger to other dogs. I see so many people falsely claiming that pitbulls are so sweet and NO danger whatsoever to other dogs..
I see so many pitbulls owners who refuse, absolutely refuse to even chain up their pitbulls or even put up a fence for them in their yards. It's lunacy.
There's a street near us, where we always fear to walk, cuz the owner constantly lets his pitbull out loose in the yard...and he's a big one too.
he could so easily run down or across the street and attack our dog. It's crazy cuz the whole back yard of his house is fenced too.
Don't let pitbulls run loose if there's other dogs walking by... especially in crowded neighborhoods

Yup, just heard on the news about 2 pitbulls who got loose and went, attacked a little dog and killed it. Heard on the news too, about a little 5 years old girl who was attacked & killed by a pitbull. The dog attacked her grandma too.
Even if I had a doberman, i'd watch myself where the dog went... saw a lady with an akita the other day, and another dog owners wanted her dog to meet theirs..
the akita owner smartly told her that her dog didn't get along well with other dogs and begged off that idea... Thank god for responsible dog owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or