U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,355,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I personally think that is true for all species...!
My wife certainly agrees with you! I think you guys are right....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,038,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Yes I am sure it is a pit bull. The dog is large and aside from my Collie, yes I thought he was huge since his width is double the size of my collie. Dang, thought it would be a funny story to share since I am not really a fan of the breed. Tough crowd.

OP good luck on your puppy. Sounds like you know how to handle dogs and so far seems like the pup is progressing nicely.
Your friend's family member is breeding dogs WAY outside of breed standard then, because an APBT should NOT be that big. They run 35 to 55 pounds on average. Of course, because so many morons are breeding them and so many idiots seem to think bigger is better, the entire breed is being totally destroyed by irresponsible back yard breeders that are just after a buck. So if your friend's family member is breeding them that big, he's part of the problem.

'Pitbull' is a loose catch all term for many bully breeds and they range quite a bit in size. Staffies tend to be smaller than the other breeds. The American Bulldogs seem to be on the bigger side. I've had both through the rescue and own a staffie myself. Also have an APBT / Great Dane mix.

I thought your story was cute and I'm glad you had a chance to see it's not a 'pitbull' issue, it's an owner issue, just like with ALL breeds. The lady that needed the face transplant years ago had her face ripped off by the family Lab for pity sake. Of course it didn't really make the news because 'man's best friend Lab removes owners face' doesn't sell as well as evil man eating pitbull rips off lady's face. There's a ton of media bias out there and it's all because it sells their papers and makes them money. Pretty sad that a large number of animals die every day because the media wants to make a few bucks along with the BYB inbred rednecks spitting out puppies left and right so they can buy their Marlboro and Bud.

That said, I do agree that your friend needs to be a lot more careful. That little accident will do nothing more than add to the bad reputation of the breed in the eyes of the neighbors there. This is not a breed - nor is any medium or large breed - for a family or owner that won't be completely responsible and careful. All it takes is one little puppy getting excited at seeing a new person to love and scratch them when it's jumping up for a pet. That very quickly becomes 'pitbull rips neighbor in attack'.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 575 times
Default Hey..

Base on the characteristics you said.. It seemed to be more of BMD or a saint bernard mix..
But there's nothing wrong if its true that its a half pit. Pits are not aggressive dogs. It was that most of them were TRAINED to be fighting dogs. I mean it.. TRAINED! So it is up to you how you raise those buddies. Have patience and its worth your time.

Last edited by arrianavera; 10-27-2011 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or