U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM

909 posts, read 2,949,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Here' some more reading for the OP:
Dog attack on baby one of the worst - National - NZ Herald News
Battle Ground family says pit bull mauled their terrier - FOX 12 - KPTV - Portland News, Weather and Sports
Boy's face could be paralyzed after pitbull attack - WLBT 3 - Jackson, MS:

Lets face REALITY. Pitbulls can easily go from nice and cute to mean and deadly. I have never read a single article where the owner of a Pitbull that attacked another animal or small child claimed the dog was vicious. No they always claim it was the sweet, wonderfull, loving docile house pet equal to Mr Bunny. Well if it attacked and killed another dog and mauled and ripped off the face of a child, obvisouly its not so sweet and loving as they thought.

You and only you must make the decission if you accept that it will be Mr. Bunny, or will it be Mr Savage, bacause if anything goes wrong, I seriosuly doubt anyone who told you it would be a loving pet will come forward to pay your medical bills. If they were such loving pets in the hands of responsible owners, there wouldn;t be any stories of loving carring responsible pitbull owners who one day was in a life and death struggle with their beloved pet.
You know, after bombing that quiz posted by skelaki, I'm wondering, how do the news reporters know for sure the dogs involved were pit bulls. Esp. in the 2nd attack. Since no one claimed the dogs yet, did authorities just guess based on appearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,737,753 times
Quebec mother charged after dog kills newborn | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

We can play this game all day long...the above posting is about huskies that killed a baby. Dachhounds have killed babies. It is not the breed of dog...it is ANY dog can be a threat to a child, especially if the dog is not socialized around children, and views the infant as prey. I don't even know who would leave a small baby unattended around a dog, even my Sam, Basset Hound Mix, who loved kids, would have been startled if a baby started screaming, he would have looked to me to fix the "problem" and if I was not around, he would have been upset, and tried to "fix" the problem himself....so, any dog can be a danger if upset.

Last edited by jasper12; 07-11-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: added Sam's breed...Basset Hound Mix! Best Dog Ever.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,235,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quebec mother charged after dog kills newborn | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

We can play this game all day long...the above posting is about huskies that killed a baby. Dachhounds have killed babies. It is not the breed of dog...it is ANY dog can be a threat to a child, especially if the dog is not socialized around children, and views the infant as prey. I don't even know who would leave a small baby unattended around a dog, even my Sam, Basset Hound Mix, who loved kids, would have been startled if a baby started screaming, he would have looked to me to fix the "problem" and if I was not around, he would have been upset, and tried to "fix" the problem himself....so, any dog can be a danger if upset.
I agree. As a previous poster noted "Lets face REALITY." Journalist, COPs, doctors, and everyone else involved are able to distinguish an American Pit Bull Terrier from any other breed of dog about as well as most people. They have utterly no clue. They see a dog with short fur and floppy ears that is not a Labrador Retriever and suddenly it becomes a "pit bull."

My Buddy is continually accused of being a pit bull, but he does not have a speck of APBT in him. He is a Boerboel, with a little Labrador Retriever thrown in. He is easily twice the size of an APBT at 130 pounds.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,373,682 times
Even more revealing would be a look at the owners of all the dogs (no matter what the breed) that were involved in attacks. Overwhelmingly, in injuries and attacks by pit bulls and Rottweilers and other "bad boy" breeds, the owners were irresponsible and clueless. They ALL say "we had no idea/the dog never showed signs of aggression/it just turned" blah blah. Of course people will say that...duh! They don't want to be held responsible for improperly raising or keeping a dog, or being ignorant about signs of stress or aggression.

Find a case of a dog that "turned" and attacked or killed someone that was owned by a savvy dog-owner, who took the dog to classes, worked or regularly exercised it, was involved in dog sports of any kind....I doubt that you can.

Unfortunately any large/possibly high drive type of dog should only be owned by people with a heightened sense of responsibility or knowledge. Unfotrunately, this is often not the case.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM

909 posts, read 2,949,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Even more revealing would be a look at the owners of all the dogs (no matter what the breed) that were involved in attacks. Overwhelmingly, in injuries and attacks by pit bulls and Rottweilers and other "bad boy" breeds, the owners were irresponsible and clueless. They ALL say "we had no idea/the dog never showed signs of aggression/it just turned" blah blah. Of course people will say that...duh! They don't want to be held responsible for improperly raising or keeping a dog, or being ignorant about signs of stress or aggression.

Find a case of a dog that "turned" and attacked or killed someone that was owned by a savvy dog-owner, who took the dog to classes, worked or regularly exercised it, was involved in dog sports of any kind....I doubt that you can.

Unfortunately any large/possibly high drive type of dog should only be owned by people with a heightened sense of responsibility or knowledge. Unfotrunately, this is often not the case.
Totally agree with this. I think the tragedy in the link is pretty telling. How in the world can a dog with no warning signs suddenly become food aggressive is such a savage way? Unless the dog was ill, old and failing in the senses, I don't see how this is possible.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

I owned one dog, a fixed female black Labrador Retriever and Golden Retriever mix, that attacked an Animal Control Officer that required him to get 14 stitches. I was not there at the time, but my next door neighbor witnessed the incident. My dog was chained to the backyard porch, and according to my neighbor, Animal Control came on to my property. My dog saw them and tried to hide underneath the porch. But she was chained, so they just pulled her out by the chain. That is when she bit one of them, hard.

They proceeded to beat the crap out of her, which resulted in two broken ribs and perforations in her ears and lips. They also held her for 9 days, without medical attention, in "quarantine" even though I showed them all of her shots were up to date.

I finally got her back after paying for 9 days of "kenneling", took her to the vet immediately, and promptly stopped payment on my check to Animal Control. When I finally got her back from the vet, I bought her a porterhouse steak. She was a great hunting dog. Unfortunately I had to put her down 4 years ago this month. She was 13.5 years old and riddled with cancer.

Animal Control in Anchorage is not run by the city or even sworn law enforcement officers. They are private contractors that bid for the city contract. My dog was not the first one that they stole from private property in order to raise revenue, but she was one of the last. There were so many complaints against this company that the city canceled their contract with them just a few months later.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,373,682 times
Glitch, that's an awful story. I am so sorry - that's terrible.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Glitch, that's an awful story. I am so sorry - that's terrible.
I no longer live in Anchorage, thankfully. The new contractor the city awarded the Animal Control contract to went out of their way to reassure everyone. They said that before any dog or cat is taken to the pound they would first attempt to contact the owner and bring the animal back, if possible. I do not know if they made good on their promises, but the city continues to farm out law enforcement authority to for-profit businesses, so I expect more abuses in the not too distant future, if they have not occurred already.

The point of my story is that there are times when a dog should be aggressive, and that was one of those times. I got another puppy (a female Alaskan Husky) when she was 9 years old, and she would come over and growl at the puppy whenever the puppy was play biting, as if to say "knock it off", but that was the one and only time she was ever aggressive with anyone. I still miss her, 4 years later, but I still have the Alaskan Husky (Blizzard, who will be 8 this year) and I added a male Boerboel puppy (Buddy) who will now be 4 years old in September, after I had to put Shasta down.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,602,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I owned one dog, a fixed female black Labrador Retriever and Golden Retriever mix, that attacked an Animal Control Officer that required him to get 14 stitches. I was not there at the time, but my next door neighbor witnessed the incident. My dog was chained to the backyard porch, and according to my neighbor, Animal Control came on to my property. My dog saw them and tried to hide underneath the porch. But she was chained, so they just pulled her out by the chain. That is when she bit one of them, hard.

They proceeded to beat the crap out of her, which resulted in two broken ribs and perforations in her ears and lips. They also held her for 9 days, without medical attention, in "quarantine" even though I showed them all of her shots were up to date.

I finally got her back after paying for 9 days of "kenneling", took her to the vet immediately, and promptly stopped payment on my check to Animal Control. When I finally got her back from the vet, I bought her a porterhouse steak. She was a great hunting dog. Unfortunately I had to put her down 4 years ago this month. She was 13.5 years old and riddled with cancer.

Animal Control in Anchorage is not run by the city or even sworn law enforcement officers. They are private contractors that bid for the city contract. My dog was not the first one that they stole from private property in order to raise revenue, but she was one of the last. There were so many complaints against this company that the city canceled their contract with them just a few months later.
While I hate the story, I was expecting the ending to be more tragic, and was only happy that it wasn't

It's stories like yours that are a reminder to pet owners et al. that the pets that we have in our homes are, after all, animals. As such, they can inflict serious bodily harm at all times.

It is nothing short of unrealistic and/or ridiculous that our pets are expected to be incapable of inflicting bodily harm and that they would be subject to abuse or even a death sentence for even the minorest of infractions (even for those instances in which they are clearly defending themselves)?! Children and adult humans aren't even held to those standards. It is ridiculous that dogs get bad reps for being unable to live up to impossibly high standards.

What galls me is the complete lack of tolerance, especially on the part of civil officers who are supposed to be professionals who are trained to not react in anger. And those Animal Care and Control officers were supposed to be acting in the best interests of animals?! They were called out to check on the dog and they ended up beating it?! Seriously?!

I swear, if it had been me, I would have hired a lawyer and sued the bejesus out of those SOB's. The officers clearly had no idea what they were doing but, being human, felt that they could do "whatever" b/c it was a dog.

It sickens me on a daily basis how few rights animals, pets and pet owners have in this country. And I still can't believe that after all of the horror stories that we hear on a daily basis that the laws remain the same.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM

22,766 posts, read 16,845,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
A relative went to the store about a week ago and saw a young couple giving away free puppies outside of the store. On an impulse, he picked up one of the (very sweet, very cute) pups and brought it home. Long story short, he and his wife had a long talk and decided that they can't keep the pup for lots of valid reasons. He would have to take the pup to a shelter if he couldn't find a home for it. We happened to be in town and told him that we would take the pup as it is a good time in our lives for us to get another puppy (although we had been thinking along the lines of a pure lab or golden). We have since taken the pup to a vet for her first shots/worming/well check.

The puppy is a 9 week old lab/terrier mix of some sort, a mutt, but we have no other details. She is very sweet, active, loves kids and has played well with other dogs, including our own (a gentle, goofy golden retriever) . We have begun crate/potty/leash/general training using the gentle, positive reward methods and redirection that we used with our golden. The pup seems to be catching on and overall she seems to be quite smart. We are all becoming quite attached to her.

But there is one problem - there is a chance that she is a lab/pit mix. (No way to be sure, but others have noted some strong signs of pit in her appearance). I have no experience dealing with or training dogs with aggressive tendencies. I'm feeling a bit in over my head with the prospect of handling potential aggression issues down the line -I'm not much of an "alpha-type" trainer! And I'm worried that this sweet little pup might one day grow to bully our golden or worse - hurt our kids. Right now she is doing some typical puppy play biting which we are discouraging.

I love her but worry has me wondering whether or not we should just find this puppy a new home sooner rather than later....
Ugh. I'm so sick of what the media has done to pit bulls. You treat your dog correctly, your dog will be fine. ANY dog can have aggressive tendencies if not raised and trained properly, it is all in how you train the dog, NOT the dog.

If you socialize, properly, from an early age to humans and other dogs, if you are always calm, fair and assertive which means, you do not correct the dog, when training it, until you are 100% sure that the dog KNOWS the command, (and saying it 10 times doesn't mean that the dog knows the command), if you are always fair that way, if you never raise your voice to the dog, if you don't punish the dog for something well after the fact, (ie: popular thought, dog piddled on floor while owner was away, owner comes home and disciplines dog, dog has no idea what for, just knows owner is an angry jerk), only within seconds of what dog has done, if you always remain calm and patient with the dog, if you remember the dog IS A PUPPY right now, and if you properly obedience train your dog, AND if you take on the role as pack leader and do not let the dog dominate you, (ie, lean on you, tell you when to pet it, go out doors and gates before you, you give in to its demands when it barks, etc), you should not have a problem with the dog.

YOU are in control of how this dog is going to be. Pits are actually some of the most affectionate, best dogs ever. They used to be on the fricken Little Rascals for crying out loud. They used to "babysit" kids, for crying out loud, again. It is because SOME idiots in this world decided to raise them to be aggressive and fighters and the media, who does MORE destruction to animals than almost any other source on earth, has run away with this and made everyone believe that all pits are dangerous dogs.

Baloney!

YOU train that dog right, YOU decide how that dog acts later in life because YOU put in the hard work to properly socialize, properly train and YOU be the leader. It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or