Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times

Advertisements

A relative went to the store about a week ago and saw a young couple giving away free puppies outside of the store. On an impulse, he picked up one of the (very sweet, very cute) pups and brought it home. Long story short, he and his wife had a long talk and decided that they can't keep the pup for lots of valid reasons. He would have to take the pup to a shelter if he couldn't find a home for it. We happened to be in town and told him that we would take the pup as it is a good time in our lives for us to get another puppy (although we had been thinking along the lines of a pure lab or golden). We have since taken the pup to a vet for her first shots/worming/well check.

The puppy is a 9 week old lab/terrier mix of some sort, a mutt, but we have no other details. She is very sweet, active, loves kids and has played well with other dogs, including our own (a gentle, goofy golden retriever) . We have begun crate/potty/leash/general training using the gentle, positive reward methods and redirection that we used with our golden. The pup seems to be catching on and overall she seems to be quite smart. We are all becoming quite attached to her.

But there is one problem - there is a chance that she is a lab/pit mix. (No way to be sure, but others have noted some strong signs of pit in her appearance). I have no experience dealing with or training dogs with aggressive tendencies. I'm feeling a bit in over my head with the prospect of handling potential aggression issues down the line -I'm not much of an "alpha-type" trainer! And I'm worried that this sweet little pup might one day grow to bully our golden or worse - hurt our kids. Right now she is doing some typical puppy play biting which we are discouraging.

I love her but worry has me wondering whether or not we should just find this puppy a new home sooner rather than later....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:19 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
In my personal opinion, a lab/pit mix will be one of the sweetest, loyal, most loving dogs you could probably ever have.

Please give this dog a chance & do some research on pits

Courtney

Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Aggressive "tendencies"? Think again.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
There is no reason to think she has aggressive tendencies. You say she does well with kids, dogs, etc. The only problem is the name of the breed. Enroll her in a puppy class, give her plenty of excersize, and plenty of love, and just be firm with her puppy behavior. In other words, treat her like any other dog. She'll reward you by being possibly the most affectionate and funniest dog you've ever had.

Last edited by subject2change; 07-08-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
In my personal opinion, a lab/pit mix will be one of the sweetest, loyal, most loving dogs you could probably ever have.

Please give this dog a chance & do some research on pits

Courtney
Thanks - it's hard to imagine this little fur ball being anything other than sweet. But I've been doing some research on pits and I'm concerned that while many people seem to appreciate the breed's overall sweetness/loyalty to their owners, many have noted that they need to "really be watched" around other dogs (tendency to fight, never let them loose at a dog park) and children as they tend to be alpha over kids.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times

YouTube - ‪Pit Bull Blues by John Shipe‬‏

I took the above from another thread click on it and watch it then tell me are those aggressive dogs? The pitties and pittie mixes that come to our dog park and beach are some of the most loving dogs I have ever met. I have no problem letting my dogs play with them even my delicate girlie boy Dazzle.

When my sisters and I spet a week at Best Friends we took dogs out for walks in town and on over nights and by far one of the best dogs we took out was Artie. he was a blonde and white pit and such a sweet sweet well behaved boy!

I think you have the mindset that all pit bulls are aggressive evil dogs...not true.Shower her with love and she will return that to you and the fact you have a golden to help raise her is great as dogs learn alot of behavior from other dogs.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:39 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,654 times
Default Quit worrying about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
A relative went to the store about a week ago and saw a young couple giving away free puppies outside of the store. On an impulse, he picked up one of the (very sweet, very cute) pups and brought it home. Long story short, he and his wife had a long talk and decided that they can't keep the pup for lots of valid reasons. He would have to take the pup to a shelter if he couldn't find a home for it. We happened to be in town and told him that we would take the pup as it is a good time in our lives for us to get another puppy (although we had been thinking along the lines of a pure lab or golden). We have since taken the pup to a vet for her first shots/worming/well check.

The puppy is a 9 week old lab/terrier mix of some sort, a mutt, but we have no other details. She is very sweet, active, loves kids and has played well with other dogs, including our own (a gentle, goofy golden retriever) . We have begun crate/potty/leash/general training using the gentle, positive reward methods and redirection that we used with our golden. The pup seems to be catching on and overall she seems to be quite smart. We are all becoming quite attached to her.

But there is one problem - there is a chance that she is a lab/pit mix. (No way to be sure, but others have noted some strong signs of pit in her appearance). I have no experience dealing with or training dogs with aggressive tendencies. I'm feeling a bit in over my head with the prospect of handling potential aggression issues down the line -I'm not much of an "alpha-type" trainer! And I'm worried that this sweet little pup might one day grow to bully our golden or worse - hurt our kids. Right now she is doing some typical puppy play biting which we are discouraging.

I love her but worry has me wondering whether or not we should just find this puppy a new home sooner rather than later....
You are the perfect parents for this puppy! pit bulls agression is only "bred into" long lineage of fighting bred dogs. Pit bulls (American Strafforshire Terriers) were actually called nanny dogs because they are so wonderful with children. If a pit bull (full or mixed breed) is raised in a loving enviornment with lots of loving socialazation with people, children and other dogs you will have a most PERFECT PET. Keep her, she won't grow up to hurt anyone....but most especially their own pack members!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Also borrowed from the other thread

FOR OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS AMERICANS KNEW PIT BULLS FOR WHAT THEY DID BEST. BABYSITTING. | Yonah Ward Grossman

The shelter I volunteer for has adopted hundreds of pit puppies and adults to homes with children and other dogs. I have a female pit bull and female pit mix, both 3 years old and the best of friends.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There is no reason to think she has aggressive tendencies. You say she does well with kids, dogs, etc. The only problem is the name of the breed. Enroll her in a puppy class, give her plenty of excersize, and plenty of love, and just be firm with her puppy behavior. In other words, treat her like any other dog. She'll reward you by being possibly the most affectionate and funniest dog you've ever had.
We can tell that she has some clown in her already . We've got the love, exercise and consistency in training. I love dogs and they take to me, but they are not the least bit intimidated by me. I'm firm but they don't always listen...

I'm not trying to freak out about the whole "pit" thing but I want to make sure that I have a clear picture on the breed (both good and bad). I want to do the right thing by this pup.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,654 times
Oh by the way, you can stop "alpha behavior" very easily in young dogs. Just make sure you are ALWAYS the strong, patient, loving alpha dog and immediatly stop even the tiniest alpha behaviors right away. If they are a bit bullish with toys....take the toy away until he plays properly...if he starts to bristle or hold his tail stiff while eating or holding a treat....take it away immediatly and don't give it to him until he has had a second or two of "accepting" that you are alpha not him. But you must start young and never give him a chance to misbehave...but do it with love and firmness. You wouldn't allow your child to bully, don't let your puppy bully. Same concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs