U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,123,598 times

Advertisements

We have a 4 year old female Golden Retriever who was spayed (around 5 1/2 months old) before she reached sexual maturity. We have now lucked into a precious 9 1/2 week old lab mix female pup who we also plan to have spayed.

Our GR has always gotten along fine with other dogs, regardless of sex. Even when another dog barks or growls at her she really doesn't seem to take much notice and I've never once worried that she would fight with another dog.

Our female lab mix puppy is a bundle of energy. She will often playfully nip at our GR's legs while they run around outside together. When the puppy gets over exuberant the GR will growl at her and even bite at her (but not hard enough to hurt), the puppy will sometimes roll over on her back and then start to play again. The GR has done this with other young, playful puppies before and the play has never escalated to a fight.

Our dogs seem to like each other and will even snuggle up with each other.

I've read that female dogs often don't get along when they get older. Does early spaying help to prevent such conflict?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,223,996 times
Same-sex pairs of dogs CAN be more problematic than opposite-sex pairs, but they often get along just fine. As I posted before I have two bully-breeds, both females, both around 3 years old. The 2nd was originally a "foster dog" for us. She came from the shelter I volunteer for, as did the other one. I really liked her but I was afraid of the same sex thing, more so because neither one has any doggie manners and both have a knack for getting on other dogs' nerves. When a long time passed and she still wasn't adopted, I decided to foster her, envisioning having to "manage" the 2 dogs. Well, wasn't I surprised when they took one look at each other and decided "OK, let's play!". And they've barely stopped since. Needless to say I was a foster failure by about day 2.
And just think, if you couldn't have 2 same sex dogs together, nobody would have 3 or more.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,172,192 times
I have three females, all spayed around 7/8 months of age and they all get along...never even one squabble.

We started with a Labx...when she was one year old, we brought a Boston puppy home, a year and half later, another Boston pup...finally added a male Frenchie to the mix three years later.

I've even had two female Boston fosters and still no problems. Sometimes I think it's more a personality thing rather than same sex.

Good luck - hope everything goes well.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM

3,184 posts, read 7,056,621 times
I have 2 females and we've never had a problem. Kona was the first and was annoyed when we brought Sophie home, but she got over it quickly and they are very bonded now.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,520,341 times
I don't have 2 spayed females living in the same house but my in-laws often bring their spayed golden retriever (6-7 y.o) to our house and she and our spayed 4 y.o. lab mix get along just fine. We have a picture of them the first night they met and they are basically sleeping on top of each other.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,893,512 times
I too have 2 females and they get along just fine. It seems as though the GR is just showing the youngin how to behave

Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM

22,698 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Two females can be a problem but it can be successful if one is dominant and the other submissive. If you have two dominant females, you could have problems. Female dog fights are some of the most vicious as they have been known to fight to the death. Spaying has nothing to do with it.

If you have two dominant females, your choices are:

Work very hard on training and let them know you are the leader, not them, and do things separately with them. Do not let them roam the house freely when you are not there. You may be the leader in their eyes but multiple dogs will still figure out a hierarchy from there. Two dominant females will always be fighting for the higher rank. You can keep them but it will not be the same as other households with multiple dogs.

Rehome one of them.

However, again, if one female is dominant and the other submissive...you should be fine.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,590,104 times
I really doubt that it will be a problem, especially b/c they are growing up together. I would not interfere when your Golden "disciplines" the younger dog: this is normal socialization and very important for the puppy, as it will let her know who is dominant (i.e. your older Golden) and this will establish a pattern that will continue when both are adults. Most problems develop when people interfere and prevent the older dog from cowing the younger dog: then, the younger dog realizes that he/she can get away with challenging the older dog, and it never stops.

Whatever you do, let your Golden discipline, within reason. If it seems like too much for the puppy, then separate them, but don't scold your Golden or coddle the puppy; in fact, not showing favoritism in those instances is really important.

And, of course, always make sure that they are supervised.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,789,484 times
while same sex issues can arise in any dog at any time, its MUCH less likley to be a problem with spayed/neutered dogs...dogs still mentlly exist in pack hierarchy and the desire to breed drives it...in dog culture only the top female gets to breed and of course intact females tend to get 'hormonal"

once spaye dthe hormones are lessend to such a point that that source of conflict is completly none existant...

so unless youve got 2 females who are both very doimannt personalities even after spaying, you should have no problems with 2 SPAYED females...

ive always had multiple females...through my entire life...
and the only times weve ever had any kind of attitude is with 2 intact females.

right now we have 3 female dogs and 3 male dogs...of those 1 male and 2 females are still intact...(one of the females will be fixed at some point soon she has never been and never will be bred...)
of the group the only ones we have issues between are the 2 intact females...

both intact females are very sweet and even submissive to the spayed female (whos smaller than both of them lol)
but between eachother, they can get a little hormonal...

this however is tipically triggerd behaviour...
my mothers presence will typically trigger a fight...my mums dog is incredibly posessive of my mum so if mums holding her shell grow and nip at any dog that comes neer however not usually startin a fight...if my intact female gets close however, hell breaks loose.
and high value treats are another problem, my girl doesnt share her treats well, the other dogs are very respectfull of eachothers spaces, but my mums intact female, wont take treats of any of the other dogs but wil always go after my dogs treats, which of course my dog defends and fights can break out on that front...
so the 2 intact females are only allowed around eachother in the garden or when mums not around or treats arnt involved...

Last edited by foxywench; 07-13-2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,752,153 times
If they're anything like cats, they'll have their spats from time to time and be peachy the rest of the time. However I've seen friends' female dogs live together just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or