U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,550,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If the problem is psoriasis, eczema, or infected skin, it will require giving him a bath with medicinal shampoo, but that will only provide temporary symptomatic relief. The good news is that there are professional groomers who will bathe your dog for you, if you prefer not to go through the hassle.
LOL, I'd like to see anyone try to give Caesar a bath. It won't happen, trust me. They'd have to give him a shot to calm him down in order to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:48 PM

11 posts, read 36,595 times
InLondon, i think it is very likely that it is allergies. I receive a newsletter from askariel.com and she has been talking a lot about allergies especially during the summer. the lady practices holistic pet care so she believes in making the pet better from the inside out and she also works with and gets everything approved by a vet. here is a link to the allergy page, i think it's worth checking out! Allergies in Dogs and Cats (http://askariel.com/pages.asp?pid=allergies - broken link)

Old 08-04-2011, 04:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,020,612 times
Default Allergies...

With dogs and humans allergies can start at any time. You can use a product for years and not have one problem and then all of a sudden develop an allergy. Check the food label, if it contains grain, especially if it is listed in the top two or three ingredients, that could be your answer.

Consult with your vet.

You can upgrade his food to a premium food and see if it helps. There are different types for sensitive skin. Again, consult with your vet.

Best wishes for you and your GS!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,413,245 times
can't bath your dog in the traditional sense.... think outside the box. take him for a swim. Do a flea dip. There are always ways to wash a dog. And a GOOD dog groomer can get it done. I know my groomer could. But then again my dog groomers has even bathed and groomed big cats (lion and I think a cougar).
If you are really concerned and have the money you can take your beloved pet to VEts and ask a vet his/her opinion. And if needed get an allergy test.
People in the forum cannot replace expert on hands information. We can only assume according to our own experience. any advice, although helpfully given, can create more harm if you chose wrong advise to try a follow. In my experience advise freely given can cost more later on, cause all advise is good advise. It is only bad if it turns out wrong.
I would strongly advise to take what everyone has said here to heart then walk into your vets office with pup and ask a vet to see what it is so you will know the proper course of action not putting your dogs safety or health at risk. Could be fleas, could be food or could be something more serious. Knew a dog owner once who thought his dog biting/fussing with its hind leg was fleas. Turned out to be a hairline fracture that ended up being left untreated. Poor dog had to live with arthritis in that leg when it go old.

your choice. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 AM

29,527 posts, read 16,386,087 times
I have a Westie that is prone to skin allergies - as are many of his breed.

He, at time, will get red welts which is a skin infection from all the scratching.

It is not food related because it usually happens in the summer and fall. We have special skin soothing shampoo for him - and bathe him at least once ever two weeks.

We have just started him on a low-dose of prednisone to get him through the rest of summer - because his itching was out of control. So far, so good.

We are also starting to add a fish-oil supplement (made for dogs) to his food.

All this after taking him to the Vet and having some bloodwork done first, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs