U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 PM
 
Location: The Lakes Region
2,660 posts, read 2,151,773 times
Reputation: 1932
Default My dog killed a skunk last night.

Has anyone's dog ever killed a skunk. I have a 25lb daschund/terrier mix and he chased down a skunk in the yard, grabbed it by the tail, flung it in the air and broke its neck. I thought the spray kept predators away from skunks.
I cleaned him up but it takes a few days for it to go away completely.
Anyone like to share ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM
 
1,414 posts, read 2,015,328 times
Reputation: 1893
Tomato juice. While my doggie doesn't have the gumption to chase anything, I have a friend who has a border collie. Yeah... Killed a skunk. The stink... it stings your nostrils. First we had to get the 'prize' from blackjack... and he was proud of his kill. He drug it under the car. Once he was relieved of his prize then the tomato juice bath (the owner's wife went and bought big quart cans from Costco while we were trying to coax blackjack away from the stinky mess. The smell lasted a couple more days, but we could get within five feet of him without tearing up.

Funny side note... since he was under the car with the dead skunk, he wiped then stench on the muffler/cattalitic (sp)? converter. The next day, the owner drove to work. As his car heated up, the smell grew and grew. He had to stop at a carwash before he got to work. It was foul, even after being washed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
 
5,205 posts, read 4,599,585 times
Reputation: 5742
Oh no, that must have been smelly! I'm glad that your dog is o.k., though.

I've never had a dog encounter (or kill) a skunk before but I know someone that did. A vet recommended that they wash their dog with Massengil (the douche) several times to get rid of the odor. Strange, I know. Even then, the smell lingered for a while. On the positive side, their dog doesn't go anywhere near skunks now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
 
Location: The Lakes Region
2,660 posts, read 2,151,773 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Oh no, that must have been smelly! I'm glad that your dog is o.k., though.

I've never had a dog encounter (or kill) a skunk before but I know someone that did. A vet recommended that they wash their dog with Massengil (the douche) several times to get rid of the odor. Strange, I know. Even then, the smell lingered for a while. On the positive side, their dog doesn't go anywhere near skunks now...
I use this and it works like a charm.



You can use a solution invented by Paul Krebaum, an Illinois chemist:
• 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
• ¼ cup of baking soda
• 1 teaspoon of dish soap
Combine the ingredients at the time of use. This solution works to remove skunk odor because of a chemical reaction initiated immediately upon combining the ingredients. If it sits for too long, it will become ineffective.
Apply the mixture to the affected areas, let it set for about five minutes and rinse. If you need to repeat the process, you must create a new solution, as the chemical reaction quickly expires. Avoid getting it into your pet’s eyes, nose and mouth.
Dealing with a dog that has been skunked is a miserable experience. No matter how horrible the skunk odor that emanates from your dog, keep in mind that he was only fulfilling an instinctual curiosity. Your dog is probably suffering from this encounter more than you are; being sprayed by a skunk, especially in the eyes, is very painful, not to mention that a dog’s sense of smell is much keener then that of humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
 
21,331 posts, read 14,662,448 times
Reputation: 6783
I'm not sure tomatoe juice works that well, after trying that we picked up some shampoo specifically for skunk smell. Worked really well. There was slight odor if you got really close to the dogs face where she got sprayed but it was no where near what it was originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,310 posts, read 19,916,152 times
Reputation: 6605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Has anyone's dog ever killed a skunk. I have a 25lb daschund/terrier mix and he chased down a skunk in the yard, grabbed it by the tail, flung it in the air and broke its neck. I thought the spray kept predators away from skunks.
I cleaned him up but it takes a few days for it to go away completely.
Anyone like to share ?
Dogs, particularly terriers, have been bred in such a way to minimize the fear of injury that subsistence predators would have. They're fearless, tenacious and dogged in ways that the wolves can't afford to be.

Unfortunately, the lesson the dog may have learned is that (a) it hates skunks and (b) it knows how to kill skunks.

I suggest you invest in a large quantity of Natures Miracle. That stuff actually works pretty well for skunk stink on dogs.

I've never tried the shampoo (always just used the carpet cleaner straight from the bottle) but it may be worth a try. http://www.amazon.com/NMIR-COAT-ENHA.../dp/B004PBAHUS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
8,015 posts, read 15,584,648 times
Reputation: 4166
Hope your Dog is UTD on his Rabies!! Good luck with the smell LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 PM
 
Location: The Lakes Region
2,660 posts, read 2,151,773 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Hope your Dog is UTD on his Rabies!! Good luck with the smell LOL
He is -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
7,548 posts, read 8,078,445 times
Reputation: 6322
nature's miracle makes a solution specifically for skunk spray...... i used it on dave when he got sprayed in the face last year and it worked VERY quickly and VERY well.... its about $20 for a quart or so sized bottle and you can get it in the shampoo / grooming products section of petco or petsmart......

dave is a pretty tall and long fella.... i doused him from his face to about the middle of his chest and back, legs, head, ALL of him.... used about half a bottle......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
 
Location: FL
1,052 posts, read 977,435 times
Reputation: 685
Thumbs up Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I use this and it works like a charm.



You can use a solution invented by Paul Krebaum, an Illinois chemist:
• 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
• ¼ cup of baking soda
• 1 teaspoon of dish soap
Combine the ingredients at the time of use. This solution works to remove skunk odor because of a chemical reaction initiated immediately upon combining the ingredients. If it sits for too long, it will become ineffective.
Apply the mixture to the affected areas, let it set for about five minutes and rinse. If you need to repeat the process, you must create a new solution, as the chemical reaction quickly expires. Avoid getting it into your pet’s eyes, nose and mouth.
Dealing with a dog that has been skunked is a miserable experience. No matter how horrible the skunk odor that emanates from your dog, keep in mind that he was only fulfilling an instinctual curiosity. Your dog is probably suffering from this encounter more than you are; being sprayed by a skunk, especially in the eyes, is very painful, not to mention that a dog’s sense of smell is much keener then that of humans.

Wow the smell!
This recipe quoted above works better than tomato juice. Have used it a dozen times. Our dog would go after the skunk "family" under our deck.
We used REPELS ALL Bonide Products $9 to keep them away from the deck once they grew. It works but leaves a blood smell, guess that's what keeps 'em away. Thankfull my dog did not kill any of them.

Have a funny traveling in a small car story about a skunked dog but I'm sure you can imagine how that trip went. WHEW PEW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top