Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,792,470 times

Advertisements

I get Frontline Plus through my vet for both dogs, and as you know, it can get pricey.

I read in Consumer Reports (August 2011 issue) that earlier this year, Frontline's patent expired, and like with all drugs, that means there are now generics available, which will be cheaper.

CR mentions Sentry Fiproguard Plus from Petco, and PetArmor Plus from Walmart.

When I looked up info on these, it appears that they are available over-the-counter, not by Rx. So in terms of "people medicine" this would mean that the generic is not as strong or has different ingredients. Otherwise the generic version would still be available only by prescription, like the brand name Frontline.

I read a few articles online, validity and reliability unconfirmed, that questions the effectiveness of these, and also the safety of them. One article said that even though the active ingredients are the same, the inactive ingredients are different, and this could affect how the formula works, and it may cause severe allergic reactions in some animals. Then of course I found a few sites that claim that all flea & tick topical meds are dangerous and will cause seizures, neurological impairment and death.

My vet advised me against trying the Walmart generic, telling me of a dog he had treated that had been okay for years on Frontline, and then had a severe allergic reaction to the Walmart version, and the dog died. But I also need to take this with a grain of salt, since he makes a lot of money from selling the brand name Frontline from his office.

Anyone else have experience with these? Good experience? Bad experience? Any special knowledge of how they work and how they may be chemically different from the brand name version?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,773,417 times
My experience with PetArmor Plus is barely 5 days old, but so far so good. No reactions.

REF: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/1324807-help.html

Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,608,860 times
The active ingredients are the same, the inactives are the scents, preservatives, and whats used to carry and absord into the anaimal. Currently, Pet Armor is an exclusive product through the WalMart chain and as such they control it's manufacturing (although their quality control standards are very low). because they control its manufaturinga nd distribution, so longa s you are buying it from them, you can be pretty sure its genuine. If every you see it available from any source but them, it's almost certain its a counterfeit.

You really never needed a prescription to buy these flea and tick things because they are not medicine but a pesticide like roach spray or rat poison. The reason you should have only been buy from a vet was due to counterfeits and shadow factory replicas. Almost 100% of these treatments purchased on line from overseas distrubutors were fakes. Some were good fakes and did contain some of the active ingredients, but most was just color oils. I would also say that half of all these treatments purchased from even reputable online sources could have been shadow factory replicas. Only the vets received manufactured certified treatments.

because the inactive ingredienst may be diffrent, how your animal reacts may be different for the various new OTC treatments. Some they may have no reaction to, while others they have a negative reaction.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,773,417 times
The Walmart Pet Armour is made in India and has a banner emblazoned on the front of the box stating that it is in no way connected to Frontline or the people who make Frontline.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The Walmart Pet Armour is made in India and has a banner emblazoned on the front of the box stating that it is in no way connected to Frontline or the people who make Frontline.
That was a manuver they tried to use because the marketing of the package looked too similar to Frontline and they knew they were in trouble, but that is nothing to the following:
I suggest if your interested in using the Pet Armor Plus line of products that you buy it now and stock up. The federal court order to confiscate all Pet Armor products was stayed for 60 days but can happen after Septemebr 7th 2011. You may not be able to buy this product after that date if the makers of Pet Armor looses their federal court appeal.
You may see a big price drop even below actual cost by WalMart as they try to dump as much of this on consumers just in case the court orders a halt to sale and the confiscation of remaining product. Don;t be surprise if you can pick up a years supply for 5 bucks if that's what it takes for Walmart to empty their warehouses before the court rules.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,196,038 times
I use non-toxic diatomacious earth on both dogs and all six cats.....works great,is easy to apply, and costs just pennies.....I would never use any of the toxic flea killers like frontline or advantage....too many serious reactions, and just flat out too expensive.http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf

Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,962,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
That was a manuver they tried to use because the marketing of the package looked too similar to Frontline and they knew they were in trouble, but that is nothing to the following:
I suggest if your interested in using the Pet Armor Plus line of products that you buy it now and stock up. The federal court order to confiscate all Pet Armor products was stayed for 60 days but can happen after Septemebr 7th 2011. You may not be able to buy this product after that date if the makers of Pet Armor looses their federal court appeal.
You may see a big price drop even below actual cost by WalMart as they try to dump as much of this on consumers just in case the court orders a halt to sale and the confiscation of remaining product. Don;t be surprise if you can pick up a years supply for 5 bucks if that's what it takes for Walmart to empty their warehouses before the court rules.
I seen a large display of this at Walmart, I just dismissed it figuring it would not be as effective as Frontline, I guess I better buy some if you guys have not had any problems with it, has Walmart just started to sell this? Like I said I never seen it before other than on the display in one of their aisles this past week

Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 137,675 times
Default Generic Frontline, Safe, Effective?

We tried PetArmor and it didn't work. Have used Frontline Plus for years with great results. Both products contain the same active ingredients in the exact same amounts, so can't imagine why it isn't doing the job.
My poor little Jack Russells have fleas for the first time ever, I'm bathing them today and rushing out for Frontline. Has anyone else had a problem with PetArmor?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,792,470 times
I know that with generic drugs for humans, there are A, B and C- rated generics. To get an A rating by the FDA, the generic version has to be withing a certain percent of effectiveness and content of the active ingredient. B-rated are cheaper and have looser requirements. They also have more variability dose to dose and pill to pill, so you can get one pill with 95% of the active ingredient in the brand name, and the next pill or batch might have only 80%. C-rated I would never take, and most pharmacies won't even carry.

I know Frontline is not officially a drug but a pesticide, but I wonder if the generic version (what Walmart's Pet Armour is) contains less of the active ingredient, or had more variablilty from package to package.

I think I'll stick with the Frontline.

Purehuman, we use DE (diatomaceous earth) where I work, to treat and prevent bedbugs in the residences, but I never thought of sprinkling it on my dogs. I think the "dustiness" would get on my nerves (not to mention in my contact lenses!)

Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I know Frontline is not officially a drug but a pesticide, but I wonder if the generic version (what Walmart's Pet Armour is) contains less of the active ingredient, or had more variablilty from package to package.
I answer this int he other post but I'll explain more here for your benefit.

When you buy a drug it will say "100 mg" which means 100 mg (100%) of the drug is in the pill. It may also say "98 100mg" which means 98% to 100% of the drug is in the pill. It don;t matter if the pill is the size of a asprin or a baseball, your getting the mg listed on the package.

With these products, they go by percentage of the volume such as 10% Active and 90% Inert. You can have two packages of diffreent manufactures that list those exact numbers but they may not be equal because the dosage (volume) isn't the same. So something sold in 1 oz containers will have more active ingredient than something sold in .8 oz container. That's the secret many of these other brands don;t tell you, it may be the same percentage as a brand name product but is the volume equal? When it comes to using percentages, size does matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs