Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:14 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,239,147 times

Advertisements

And don't forget, even working dogs, are just dogs...that is why...not that you guys need to be reminded...but never pet a service dog who is working, unless you ask the owner, and don't be offended if they say no. Service dogs can be easily distracted...by smells, running squirrels...all sorts of things.

That is why when ever someone says that they want a service dog, I really work with the person, on what their expectations are...because if they think they are just going to say "Buddy, Store" and get to the store...they are in for a sad shock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 PM

82 posts, read 494,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
So, as many on here know, my wife and I have 4 rescue dogs that basically run our life. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, this week I experienced one of the unintended consequences of being a dog lover. I travel for work a lot so my carry-on luggage is always in our bedroom collect dog hair, smell etc.

I was in the Houston airport getting on the train from one terminal to the next when a bomb-sniffing dog (beautiful belgian shepard) and his handler came on behind me. Sure enough, the dog makes a bee-line to my bag and sniffs every inch of it. I notice several of the people on the train giving me concerned looks and I see the handler starting to smirk. The dog continues for about 30 seconds and starts sniffing up and down my legs. Finally after noticing the uncomfortable looks on the other travelers' faces I said "I have 4 dogs, I swear!" The handler started laughing and said that I was safe as long as his dog didn't sit down and stare at my bag. (I guess that is how they are trained to let the handler know something is not right.) My response: "I really hope he isn't tired this morning!"

Very funny episode!
hilarious. I wonder if the episode would have been as hysterical if the dog had an itchy azz and sat down for a floor scratch all the while still enthralled enough with the scents of your bag to stare at it. or the competent/experienced "handler" wasn't? you might have ended up face down on the ground, bag contents tossed on the floor, tased or pepper sprayed while one of the concerned "travelers" filmed the drama with their personal entertainment device. you could have been the next youtube sensation! bomb-sniffing dog in houston? random sniff in between terminals and not at a govt sanctioned check point? hell, why not turn the shepard loose to do his job in the parking lot? or your driveway? perhaps your living room? does anybody see anything wrong with this? sorry, I just stopped by "dogs" for a little light reading. I promise I won't insert ben franklin quote about freedom vs. security. I await with baited breath the next chapter of the episode, TSA fondled my doodads before boarding...

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,978,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
hilarious. I wonder if the episode would have been as hysterical if the dog had an itchy azz and sat down for a floor scratch all the while still enthralled enough with the scents of your bag to stare at it. or the competent/experienced "handler" wasn't? you might have ended up face down on the ground, bag contents tossed on the floor, tased or pepper sprayed while one of the concerned "travelers" filmed the drama with their personal entertainment device. you could have been the next youtube sensation! bomb-sniffing dog in houston? random sniff in between terminals and not at a govt sanctioned check point? hell, why not turn the shepard loose to do his job in the parking lot? or your driveway? perhaps your living room? does anybody see anything wrong with this? sorry, I just stopped by "dogs" for a little light reading. I promise I won't insert ben franklin quote about freedom vs. security. I await with baited breath the next chapter of the episode, TSA fondled my doodads before boarding...
i posted that story in the "Relationships" forum...

Old 07-16-2011, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 8,794 times
i liked that. it was a good laugh

Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,549,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
i posted that story in the "Relationships" forum...

Heck now we all have to go to that forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs