U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM

457 posts, read 751,700 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm wondering if any of you can help me out. I'm trying to convince my SO to foster a dog. Currently, we have 2 dogs (one male APBT mix, and a female Lab/Shep mix). We also have 2 cats. A houseful already, I know.

The dog that I'm wanting to foster is a 3y/o male Staffie mix . He's been in the shelter now for a year, and I have fallen totally in love with him. He has the typical behavior of a dog that's been in a shelter for so long. He has a ton of energy that he needs to be able to release, and he of course needs some extra training on his manners and such.

I've been training him now for well over a month, taking him to classes, and working him with my male dog (shelter dog tends to be DA). They get along, and can be near each other with no issues. We walk them on leash side by side and they both tolerate each other very well, which is a huge step for the shelter dog.

I've made a ton of progress with his training, but he really needs to get away from the shelter life. I think that once he's in a home, and gets one on one personal training on a daily basis, he will "blossom" into a wonderful dog (more so than he already is). I honestly think that it's the only way that he may find a good home.

The shelter has agreed to let me take him out on the weekends so that we can take him out to parks and hopefully broaden the potential for him to get adopted. I think it's also important that he spends some time in a home, so that he knows what's it like to have a home, and to behave indoors.

Anyway...my SO is dead set against fostering him, due to the fact that we already have 4 pets. There are no children in the house by the way (in case any of you were wondering). Have any of you had this obstacle and been able to overcome it, and convince your SO to take in yet ANOTHER animal in need??

Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Convincing someone to foster...?  (Sorry it's long)-267502_248243475186385_100000022023601_1068172_6513222_n.jpg   Convincing someone to foster...?  (Sorry it's long)-268081_248243198519746_100000022023601_1068171_4166763_n.jpg   Convincing someone to foster...?  (Sorry it's long)-271032_250061141671285_100000022023601_1076923_3603851_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,162,790 times
He's beautiful, and any dog that still has a good temperament after a year in a shelter is a special dog IMO. Your husband's probably worried you're a foster failure in the making. Maybe ask if you could try it out just one weekend? Tell every person you see "He's up for adoption!" to reassure your husband. I hope you can talk him into it.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
He's beautiful, and any dog that still has a good temperament after a year in a shelter is a special dog IMO. Your husband's probably worried you're a foster failure in the making. Maybe ask if you could try it out just one weekend? Tell every person you see "He's up for adoption!" to reassure your husband. I hope you can talk him into it.

I know that's what he's worried about, lol! We are taking him this weekend (the first of how ever many it takes to find the right home for him). I'm picking him up from the shelter tonight. Tomorrow, there is an even in Charlotte that's being held by the American Pit Bull Foundation, where there will be adopt-a-bulls. We're taking him there for some extra exposure. He's on the foster waiting list for a local bully rescue, so he'll be making his "debut" so to speak, through them.

He's never been to any adoption event before, so I hope it goes well. Since he's so mellow and calm around our dog, we're taking them both, in hopes that my boy will help to keep him a little relaxed. (=

Come to think of it...I think he's more worried about HIMSELF falling in love with the dog, lol! He's "his kind of dog" I guess you could say. He loves his overall size, the way that he plays, and that big block head of his, lol!

Last edited by KittKat; 07-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,162,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
I know that's what he's worried about, lol! We are taking him this weekend (the first of how ever many it takes to find the right home for him). I'm picking him up from the shelter tonight. Tomorrow, there is an even in Charlotte that's being held by the American Pit Bull Foundation, where there will be adopt-a-bulls. We're taking him there for some extra exposure. He's on the foster waiting list for a local bully rescue, so he'll be making his "debut" so to speak, through them.

He's never been to any adoption event before, so I hope it goes well. Since he's so mellow and calm around our dog, we're taking them both, in hopes that my boy will help to keep him a little relaxed. (=

Come to think of it...I think he's more worried about HIMSELF falling in love with the dog, lol! He's "his kind of dog" I guess you could say. He loves his overall size, the way that he plays, and that big block head of his, lol!
That's my husband all over. He'll say "It's like a zoo around here!" and then 2 minutes later he's talking baby talk to a dog or cat. And he'd never want to see any of them go. In fact, I think that's a lot of people's husband.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
That's my husband all over. He'll say "It's like a zoo around here!" and then 2 minutes later he's talking baby talk to a dog or cat. And he'd never want to see any of them go. In fact, I think that's a lot of people's husband.

Yep!!! I always get the, "It's YOUR dog!" or whatever, and he calls my boy all kinds of horrible names, but I know that he loves them...he just won't admit it. The baby talking gives it away most of the time! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs