Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times

Advertisements

My last 4 dogs have been Shih Tzu's. I now have two, one is 17, blind and deaf. He still does his business outside,and is not in pain, however, I know that his days are numbered.

So, I have been thinking of getting another dog so my younger one will not be alone after the old guy passess.

I have seen several breeders advertising a mix of Shih Tzu and Bichon. My experience with Bichons is limited, my friend had one and it was a ball of energy and very difficult to house train.

Anyone have any experience with Bichons? What do you think about this mix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
any person breeding mixed breeds purposly unless they are breeding specifically for WORKING dogs are not ethical responsible breeders...
breeders breed to BETTER their breed of choice.

there are many mixed breeds like you describe in shelters country wide, if your interested in this mix please aDOPT, do not support any breeder purposly adding more MUTTS to the world.
as for what there like...its impossible to say...

they could be more ****zu, more bichon, or anywhere in between...because there muts there sno way to be certain of the outcome.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Can't possibly have said it any better than Foxy. A mixed breed of dog is a mutt, it doesn't matter if it's 'registered' or from a 'breeder'. It's a mutt and there are plenty in shelters about to be killed any second. Please don't support a backyard breeder; adopt from a shelter or rescue instead. There are plenty dogs of those breeds that need homes or they'll be killed.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
please, please, please adopt. Don't get a puppy! A full grown dog needing re-homing is so much better than supporting the breeding industry. You can get a full bred or corss breed. I have both a Porkie (Pom and Yorki) and Llasha Poo (Llasha Apso and Poodle) both adopted one at 3 one at 7. Already housebroken both so glad to be in a good loving home. Go on Petfinder.com and find ANYTHING you want, also many breed specific rescue groups, just google them!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 AM

Thank you, I have adopted before, will see what I can find!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Hi I am not familiar with this mix but was researching shih tzus and I saw there are rescues for shih tzus and small breed mixes. You may want to google your area and shih tzu rescue if you want to adopt.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Small Paws is a great rescue group. I see that mix on rescue lists all the time and some people who think they have a bichon actually have a mix. Bichons are great dogs but notorious for being hard to potty train. They are velcro dogs, do well with cats and dogs and kids. I agree, please adopt a rescue. We now have a 10 year old bichon rescued at age 4. No problems at all in all these years. She was turned in by a family but I sure have no idea why. She has been the perfect little dog.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Small Paws is a great rescue group. I see that mix on rescue lists all the time and some people who think they have a bichon actually have a mix. Bichons are great dogs but notorious for being hard to potty train. They are velcro dogs, do well with cats and dogs and kids. I agree, please adopt a rescue. We now have a 10 year old bichon rescued at age 4. No problems at all in all these years. She was turned in by a family but I sure have no idea why. She has been the perfect little dog.
you hit the nail on the head.

I have a bichon and agree with everything you said.
Ours were easy to potty train but I had the time to invest at the time.

They are velcro dogs tho. they stick to you everywhere you go.

They are high energy and demand attention.

mine is kinda bossy and even demands respect from our huge boxer, he does not have small dog syndrome tho, with all his bossiness he still knows who the master is. They work well with all sorts of animals and with kids.

Ours was a rescue too. He was abandoned when he was a few months old. I eventually found the original owner, he said he just didn't have the time anymore so he let the dog loose.

I also have a Shih Tzu, but he is no where near as energetic. The Shih tzu does cuddle too, but also gives you your space. My Bichon and Maltese however as soon as I sit down they climb all over me. I mean on my head, my shoulders, my back. They do not respect personal space at all. The Bichon usually sleeps across my neck and the Maltese across my back.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I have adopted a 12 week old shih tzu, it was from a local non kill shelter. There were other shih tzus in the shelters, however, they were all 5-9 years, old and right now I cannot take on another senior or special needs dog. My 17 year old is blind & deaf. My 4 year old has a hole in his pallet, and, requires special care, right now I can only handle two special care dogs.

My original question was for information only, I had not persued buying a shih tzu/bichon mix.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Thanks to all for the responses. I have adopted a 12 week old shih tzu, it was from a local non kill shelter.

Thanks again for the input.
oh how exciting. Good luck on your new baby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs