U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times

Advertisements

There is no need to personally attack me. I am a responsible owner and do understand what works for me. Have you tried what I do? Do you know it doesn't work or are you just criticizing me because you think I'm wrong?

I am not forcing anyone into my choices and do not expect to be demonized for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
There is no need to personally attack me. I am a responsible owner and do understand what works for me. Have you tried what I do? Do you know it doesn't work or are you just criticizing me because you think I'm wrong?

I am not forcing anyone into my choices and do not expect to be demonized for them.
Nor should you be.

A little stomach upset can be attributed to any signficant changes in diet. My first thought was that a big bolus of fatty marrow could easily soften up the stool for a few days, but I would also assert that the notion that cooked bones are much more dangerous than raw is not off-base. If you heat bone past a certain point it undergoes a chemical change that alters its shear characteristics. Instead of breaking along planes like raw bone it is more likely to shard or splinter and any faces of a planar shear will be more likely to have an abrasive texture that can irritate the digestive system. It's not as though you are certain to create a serious digestive problem by administering cooked bones, but you are accepting more risk than is necessary and transforming a nutritios, digestible material (raw bone) into a material that is not fully digestable and not as good for cleaning your dog's teeth.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM

6,475 posts, read 9,893,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Steelstress

Yes they are beef bones, yes I believe that raw is better and I stated my reason for cooking them in post #3. I somehow doubt that roasting bones monthly for 7 years and never having one splinter is luck. Before you question if my dogs are large enough to splinter bones the answer to that is yes also.

Like I said, just my personal experience and what works for me.
Well you're only help to endanger your dog that much more. For the ick factor, feed him in a crate or teach him to eat on a towel. And you're only increasing the possibility of splintering. It may have worked for you in the past, but you've just been lucky. It certainly isn't that roasting that prevents the splintering.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 PM

3,182 posts, read 7,027,063 times
Another personal attack, isn't that thoughtful.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
whats with the personal attacks steelstress?!
chillax...you put your point out there, its been made clear how you feel...

side note, i did use dot have the issue of bones on the couch, now i just keep it sa either an outside or in the crate type deal, this works out better as well because they are high value and i always worry even with very sweet typically ok dogs that a food agression fight could break out...so i just take the beds out of the crates, bones in the crates they get an hour or so to knaw to their hearts content then there taken out the bones rinsed and put in the fridge till the next day and the tray whiped with a lysol wipe.

raw has the added bonus of being much better for the teeth as well as entertainment

Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
whats with the personal attacks steelstress?!
chillax...you put your point out there, its been made clear how you feel...

side note, i did use dot have the issue of bones on the couch, now i just keep it sa either an outside or in the crate type deal, this works out better as well because they are high value and i always worry even with very sweet typically ok dogs that a food agression fight could break out...so i just take the beds out of the crates, bones in the crates they get an hour or so to knaw to their hearts content then there taken out the bones rinsed and put in the fridge till the next day and the tray whiped with a lysol wipe.

raw has the added bonus of being much better for the teeth as well as entertainment
That's something I noticed with my dog. He's a pretty high-drive dog as goldens go, but just the sweetest, most patient and tolerant dog I've ever seen with kids. He can get rambunctious if children telegraph "I'm not afraid of you", but never any malice of any sort. My little boy can lay over his back while he's eating, put his hands in his food bowl, touch his face, etc. etc. but if he has meat or a meaty bone it flips a switch. He's warned me before when I got too close to him working on a bone and he didn't have a retreat avenue. Never anything beyond that, but I wouldn't trust him with meat around children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs