U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times

Advertisements

Trish, sorry your fur kids are suffering. I'm in NC and fleas are already bad and mine only go outside for several walks a day. no backyard hours at a time, no rubbing around in grass.

What are other folks in the South doing for flea control?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
hen i brought dozer home we got assaulted, he was heavily infested and despite my efforts to treat him wihtout getting the house infested, at least 1 managed to escape and we ended up with a serious flea infestation.

now in the past i stopped using frontline plus in ct as it stopped working...
when i moved to TN i figred different state...still no luck the frontline didnt even make the fleas look drunk...

i tried comfortis in the past but my female got sick, triflexis made my male get sick and capstar almost killed one of our chihuahas a few years ago so i decided none of those were going on my shopping list...
that left natural, and chemical (advantage and k9Advantix) at the time my cats woudl sleep and groom the dogs so i knew advantix would be a potential problem (its poisenous to cats) i already give the dogs Apple cider vinegar, brewers yeast and there on a low dose garlic regime...none of which helped. tried DE, didnt make a dent in the flea population...so i whent advantage...
it SEEMS to work, no sie effects form any of them, (and i can use it on the cats too lol) i have found i have to reapply every 3 1/2 weeks as opposed to 4 weekly and it does NOT help with ticks, so thats a definate down side, but after using the advantage the flea population dropped drastically, i then sprayed the house with a product called enforcer (its made with crysanthamum oil and suprisingly works incredibly well) that killed the flea population IN the house...but we still had the occaisonal ones comming in from outside so i cut the lawn relitivly short, sprinkled with DE and reapplied weekly (and any time it rained) for a monht, after that the flea population seems to be well under control so i just sprinke a 12" band of de around the fenceline now rather than over the entire back yard because i dont want to kill all the beneficial insects as well so a "wall" of DE just to keep any fleas form comming back into the garden area...
theACV, brewers yeast and garlic regmime does seem to keep the ticks off the dogs though, ive found MANY ticks on me over the past few months, but only pulled 2 *touch wood* off the dogs.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,626 times
Our poodle is the sweetest dog in the world. We got her at six weeks of age and she is now two years old. She was very timid and never aggressive in any way. As many people have stated, Frontline Plus and other topical products have stopped working so we tried her on Confortis in spite of the ridiculously high price of this product.

After several months on Confortis our dog has bitten both my husband and myself and got very agitated and tried to bite our grandson, who our poodle adores, when our grandson reached out to pet her. I consulted with our vet who claims the only side effect is vomiting and he has never heard of it causing aggression or agitation in a normally meek and sweet dog. If I was getting $90 for selling six pills, I'd say the same thing. When the Confortis wears off at the end of the month, she stops being aggressive and returns to her normal behavior. I don't believe in coincidences.

We are taking her off the Confortis even though everything we read claims it is safe. The product is too new for anyone to be able to claim it's a safe product and let's face it, we are talking about a strong pesticide being ingested by our pets. I am at a loss as to what to switch her to, but I will not take the chance that she will bite a stranger and we would have to have her put down because we gave her Confortis.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM

thats one of my biggest issues with the pill forms...least with the topicals if your dog ha a reaction you can quickly get them in the tub with a good dish detergant and get MOST of the stuff off...but when its taken internally by the time symptoms of reaction set in even inducing omiting wont help.

as i said ive had good luck with advantage if your not too worried about ticks, but i prefer Advantix if youve got no cats to worry about (its safe once dry but whiel wt if the cat gets it on him it can cause some nasty issues)
(and i prefer the ORIGIONAL advantix formular over the new one if you can find it...)

Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I do agree with you, and I also win with that pill. I also do not to the
heart worm and comfortis on the same day! I did the hide trick and out it does come. The heart worm pill is flavored and the Bichon loved it.
This dog also eats anything anyway I really don't like fleas! She spits both out or trys! I did hear some way you can grind it up and do with the food?
Anyway, maybe with some ice cream?
I can slather anything in cream cheese, and Rudy will wolf it down immediately. He doesn't like those Heartguard pills, but this method always does the trick!

P.S. My dog & 3 cats were on Comfortis for about a year, and didn't have any problems... only reason I stopped using it was financial, since it gets a tad expensive with 4 animals (and Advantage II works as well on fleas).

Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,521 times
I have a young long coated Malamute. The topical flea products do nothing on him. When he was a puppy, the Comfortis worked well with no problems. But now at a year and a half amd taking a full dose, he has gotten sick each time. It's hard to describe - it's like he has the flu - down on the ground, can hardly get up - kind of looks like he's been poisoned. The first time I thought he was dying and I rushed him to the vet. He had a temperature so they gave him an anti-inflammatory and he came out of it pretty quickly. They couldn't figure out what had happened. The second time, exactly the same thing. I had the anti-inflammatory at home so I gave it to him and it resolved like the first time. Last month I tried Frontline but it didn't do anything. The fleas are getting out of control this year. So since the dog tolerated it last year at a lower dose, today, I got the Comfortis again and gave him only 1/2 the tablet. No reaction 8 hours later. Tomorrow, I will give him the other 1/2. Hopefully that will go well too. Like other people, I don't like giving something internally like this, but he is miserable, so I will do it for a couple of months.
What seems to be true about this drug is different dogs react differently. I would do a test at a lower dose to see if your dog tolerates it. That's what they do with human medications. It should be the same for dogs.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM

have you tried k9 advantix of advantage topicals, in areasfrontline isnt working they usually do the trick...
you might also look into trifexis and vectra tablets if comfortis is making him sick (which efinatly seem to be the case...
no chance in hades id continue giving my pet NAYTHING that made them sick...while the antiinflamitories seem to wor (and lower does oesnt seem to be an issue) theres no teleling whats actually ging on internally as they build up in his system...

not worth the risk when theres so many other options in my opinion.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,517,317 times
I just started to use trifexis which does the fleas and the heartworm and so far it is working. also the company
is giving out rebates. only the vet can give you this product so ask your vet what they think.
comfortis really did work but it is costly.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 PM

748 posts, read 1,044,799 times
I gave my dogs the Comfortis. Have not had any problems, no throwing up or anything. All the fleas were gone pretty quickly and have not yet returned, even though I only got a months dose for each. (1 tablet)

My dogs are both large, 80 and 100 lbs. I am not sure if I will use it again, I don't like the idea of putting the poison right into their body. Somehow, putting the poison in their skin seems less harmful. If there is a reaction, I can at least wash it off.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,184 times
Default other options available

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishjax View Post
My dogs have been on Comfortis for more than a year and they are beginning to have horrible side effects. They are both old, 14 and 15, and last month Purdy became nauseus after taking the pill and never recovered. Eventually she had to go to the vet and be on a drip. After the drip, when I figure all the Comfortis had been washed out of her, she had the best appetite she has shown for over a year. I gave her the Comfortis on Thursday night and she is very sick again. My other dog got very bad dairrhea and almost died from dehydration. The truth is, nobody knows the long-term effects of this drug yet, so I can only say please be very careful and at the first sign of problems discontinue giving this to your dogs.
The other poisons, Advantix, etc. are also really bad for your dogs. I wish I had an answer as to a natural product that really works and don't know what I will do because I am in Florida where fleas are everywhere.
I also live in s.fla and I have read so many sad posts about the side effects of comfortis and I would like to offer some hope for people out there and family pets. I have a 17 year old sheltie /border collie mix and (2) 4 year old french bulldogs. I have them on natural defense spray and sentry pro shamphoo made by sentry. The 17 yr. old is very sensitive and I have to be very careful because she had convulsion, blindness and urinated and deficated and had nurological problems seizures when given hartguard and baytril (*antibiotic) that also causes the same symtoms. S I now read every review before giving my babies anything. Do your homework and never take the word of the vets or these companies they are in it to Make MONEY!! And they get more money to sell their products! Look up everything before giving yourself or your family anything look at all the side effects and try more of the natural products out there first take the time for the ones you love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs