Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM

255 posts, read 820,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Oh, I almost forgot, I wanted to ask you, what kind of dog is your girl? You said she has some APBT in her, do you know what else she has in her?
Thanks, we think she's pretty cute, too. She's a shelter dog, and the shelter classified her as APBT/shar pei -- don't know if that was based on their actual knowledge of her lineage, or just their best guess. She looks to have some lab in her, too. We had another dog (in fact, one that was so awesome that we wanted to adopt another) that was a APBT/shar pei mix from the shelter, too, but he looked mostly shar pei, with less wrinkles. Funny thing, he was the most even-tempered, laid-back dog, but since he had a "tank" build and square head, some (ignorant) people would snatch their kids away from him like he was going to eat them (which was totally unfounded, since he would tolerate little kids running up to him and trying to touch his face!). He has since passed on, and our younger dog isn't as tolerant of kids, even though their parents don't seem concerned when their kids try to pet her...even when she's barking at them. Go figure...most people don't guess her to be pit bull at all, the only time anyone guessed was when a state trooper asked if she was.

Here's a pic of the "frog" legs. She often has them fully stretched out behind her, too.

Last edited by Wanderlust07; 09-12-2007 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 02:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,156,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
PBM -

Check the newest information out on Rimadyl - I will not allow my dogs to have it anymore, and my vet won't prescribe it; it's just kind of got some weird stuff going on. A baby aspirin or even 1 whole adult buffered aspirin may be all she needs. It's not as much a "pain reliever" as a systemic analgesic and it is tough on their kidneys or liver (can't remember which one).

cleosmom is right - no peroxide, which actually causes the skin to necrose (die).

I never had to use the e-collar with mine that were spayed, none of them really did anything to warrant it, but in probably 72 hours it WILL itch, as mentioned - flip side is that the wound will have mostly bonded the edges by that time. Unless she is digging at it with her toenails or pulling the stitches with her teeth she probably can't hurt the wound....and the pain of pulling the stitches may be a self-deterrent.

Ah, the things we go through for our pets!
Wow! Thanks for the info! I had never heard anything about any kind of doggy pain pills so, I had never heard of Rimadyl before! We have been giving it to her just like the bottle says and she hasn't had any problems with it, she is acting completely normal, as if she's really not in any kind of pain at all. I'm sure she has to at least be a little uncomfortable, but I know with dogs it can be hard to tell if they are really in pain or not because they hide it. Anyway, I am definitely going to check around and see what I can find on this Rimadyl stuff!

Now, again, I said "wipe a little bit of peroxide around to keep things from getting infected". Like I said, Desy has her puppy fat still and she has these little chunky rolls on her tummy. Normally, I will wipe her tummy off in between baths because she tends to get dirt built up in between her little rolls. Her stitches are right in between her rolls and unless she is stretching or stretched out somewhere, her stitches are completely covered by her tummy. If she's just sitting or standing normally, you can't even see the stitches. As I said, I wouldn't dare touch her stitches, much less actually put anything right on them, but I was assuming that her tummy would need to be cleaned off because it does tend to be dirt and stuff built up in between her little rolls. So my question now is, what can I use to clean off her tummy if I can't use a little bit of peroxide? I can't use soap and water because I don't really have any way to rinse the soap off without getting soap and water all in her stitches. Using just water wouldn't really accomplish much because that would just wipe the dirt around and possibly even get into the stitches and if I use alcohol it would dry her little tummy out. Like I said in my last post, I'm going to take a picture of her tummy today and post it so that everyone can see what I'm talking about. Her tummy is going to need to be cleaned, I clean it in between her baths normally so, it would make since to keep that area clean while she has a fresh wound down there. Again, I never said that I was going to put it on her stitches, I guess I should have wrote that better! lol! Sorry about that.

With the e collar, because I really do watch her every single second when she doesn't have it on, she's definitely fine, but I'm worried about her at night once everything starts to scab up and itch. Like I said in my last post, I'm going to just have to put the e collar on her and let her sleep in the bed with us. We did that last night and it worked out just fine. I can't put her in her crate with the e collar on because she really can't sleep like that, but I can't sleep if I have her in her crate without the e collar on. Again, I was worried about Brooklyn and Jayda getting upset because Desy was in the bed and they weren't, but they really didn't even seem to care! We always have to put Desy in her crate at night, she doesn't whine or cry about sleeping in her crate, but she definitely doesn't just run in there on her own. Brooklyn and Jayda love their crates! They know when it's bed time and they will sit at the bedroom door waiting for us to open it so they can run to their crates! So, I'm not worried about that anymore, we got the whole e collar thing worked out!

I'm really starting to regret doing this! I wish we would have just got Brooklyn neutered and not even bothered with the girls! I am so stressed out and I haven't got any sleep because I'm sooo worried about her! Our pups are never ever outside of our home without a leash on, they are never ever around other dogs without one or both of us there and we never leave them alone together unattended. If we go somewhere where we can't bring our pups, we put them each in their own crate with some toys and the TV on. I mean, I know that getting them all fixed is the best way to go, but the chances of our pups getting pregnant are very, very slim to none. I know we really need to get them all fixed and it's definitely for the best, but it's just so stressful! I just can't wait to have this all done and over with so, we can get some sleep and we can let our pups play and be normal again!

Thanks again for all of the great posts and all of the help!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:50 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,223,728 times
Quote:
I'm really starting to regret doing this! I wish we would have just got Brooklyn neutered and not even bothered with the girls! I am so stressed out and I haven't got any sleep because I'm sooo worried about her! Our pups are never ever outside of our home without a leash on, they are never ever around other dogs without one or both of us there and we never leave them alone together unattended. If we go somewhere where we can't bring our pups, we put them each in their own crate with some toys and the TV on. I mean, I know that getting them all fixed is the best way to go, but the chances of our pups getting pregnant are very, very slim to none. I know we really need to get them all fixed and it's definitely for the best, but it's just so stressful! I just can't wait to have this all done and over with so, we can get some sleep and we can let our pups play and be normal again!

Thanks again for all of the great posts and all of the help!
It will all be over in the blink of an eye - and you know how those girls in "that way" are - they attract boys for MILES! You know this is best...hold the line, I promise it will be over soon - think of it as giving her better health for the rest of her life!

Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
Thanks, we think she's pretty cute, too. She's a shelter dog, and the shelter classified her as APBT/shar pei -- don't know if that was based on their actual knowledge of her lineage, or just their best guess. She looks to have some lab in her, too. We had another dog (in fact, one that was so awesome that we wanted to adopt another) that was a APBT/shar pei mix from the shelter, too, but he looked mostly shar pei, with less wrinkles. Funny thing, he was the most even-tempered, laid-back dog, but since he had a "tank" build and square head, some (ignorant) people would snatch their kids away from him like he was going to eat them (which was totally unfounded, since he would tolerate little kids running up to him and trying to touch his face!). He has since passed on, and our younger dog isn't as tolerant of kids, even though their parents don't seem concerned when their kids try to pet her...even when she's barking at them. Go figure...most people don't guess her to be pit bull at all, the only time anyone guessed was when a state trooper asked if she was.

Here's a pic of the "frog" legs. She often has them fully stretched out behind her, too.
Oh my goodness! What a cutie! I love that picture, that's what ours do! Too cute! A friend of ours has a "pit bull"/ Shar-pei mix and he looks like a Shar-pei with less wrinkles! He's so cute and such a sweety! All of three ours are APBTs and they are just big love bugs! They love everyone and everything, especially children! We have had parents make their children go inside their house when we were walking our dogs, we have had people cross the street to stay away from our dogs, we have even had people turn around and run the other way! I have had people tell me that my dogs need to be put to sleep now before they can hurt anyone, someone told me that it's sad that I have to own "pit bulls" to feel cool , a guy on the internet told me that he was going to find us and then he was going to kill me, my husband and all of our dogs and I have even had someone ask me if I would be brave enough to go tell a parent that my dogs killed their child?!? Some people are just ridiculous! We have had to learn to just laugh things off and not let it get to us, though that is really, really hard most of the time!

APBTs are one of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence and that's a fact. They are one of the only breeds that have been bred specifically to be amazingly human friendly! In temperament testing, APBTs always test above most popular family breeds such as Goldens and Beagles and they are one of the best breeds to have around children! They are even known as nanny dogs for their love and dependability with children! Because of their love of people, APBTs don't make very good watch/ guard dogs, but they do have an uncanny ability to know when someone or something is a threat or not! "Pit bulls" are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more. The American Pit Bull Terrier is additionally one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed of dogs. The trainer of the show dog Lassie has even remarked on how the APBT is his choice of breed for training. They are unique, smart, easy to train, sweet, loyal, loving, gentle, obedient, devoted, tolerant and funny! They are almost human like in their emotions and expressions! These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! Like any breed of dog, a healthy "pit bull" that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are by products of irresponsible "backyard breeders" and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic "pit bulls." Do not confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the HUGE majority of well-loved "pit bulls" in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

What's funny is that almost everyone is scared of our dogs right off the bat just because of their breed, but as soon as they get to know our babies, they fall in love with them! Our neighbors have a 2 year old son and a 3 year old daughter and when they first moved in next to us they were scared for their children's lives because of the breed we own! As soon as they met us and our dogs they completely changed their minds about "pit bulls" ad now they are looking to adopt a "pit bull" puppy! My younger sister is scared to death of all dogs! It doesn't matter how old or how young the dog is, how big or how small the dog is, it doesn't matter, if she sees a dog she has a panic attack! The only dogs that my sister feels comfortable around are our three "pit bulls"! lol! Like I said, our pups love everyone and everything! They are just big babies that think they are lap dogs!

I don't have a picture of them with their legs stretched out, but here is a link to our babies profiles... MyDogSpace.com : a social community network for dogs to share photos, blogs and all dog related information. (http://www.mydogspace.com/me/APBTMommy1206 - broken link)

Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,837,537 times
Quote:
I don't have a picture of them with their legs stretched out, but here is a link to our babies profiles... MyDogSpace.com : a social community network for dogs to share photos, blogs and all dog related information. (http://www.mydogspace.com/me/APBTMommy1206 - broken link)
Hey!!!This thing is cool. I never even knew that this doggy "myspace" exists. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hey!!!This thing is cool. I never even knew that this doggy "myspace" exists. Thanks.
I just found that site and made my profiles a few days ago! I like it so far, I have met a lot of really nice people! Everyone I have talked to one there is against BSL and some may not personally like "pit bulls", but they don't think they should be banned!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,085,591 times
I had my pups spayed and didn't have to use the ecollar for any of them. Guess I or they were lucky since they really didn't bother the incision probably because it was not that easy for them to get to it.
I know the rimadryl can cause problems if used long term since they give it to dogs with arteritis or HP. I gave it to one of my dogs years ago and he had to be tested every 6 months for kidney/liver problems. I swore then I wouldn't give it to another dog long term.
My new vet gave me a couple of pills for my 'old' dog and said to only use them if he appears to be in a lot of pain.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:18 AM

Okay, I said I would post a picture of Destiny's little fat rolls on her tummy so, here ya go.. lol!

That is a horrible picture, but that's as good as I could get so far. She won't hold still for me to get a picture of her tummy! lol! I'm going to try to get a picture of her laying down because then you can see how her little rolls cover up her stitches, but in this picture at least you can see that little pooch! It's so funny! I don't think I have ever seen a dog with little rolls like that! Anyway, I have to take her to the vet next week to make sure she's healing up okay and everything. I'm not sure if they will take her stitches out then or not, it seems like she would have to have them in a little longer than 2 weeks? I guess we will see! She is doing great though, everything looks good and is all scabbed up and she is acting completely normal!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:57 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,837,537 times
HER TUMMY IS SO ADORABLE!!!I've never seen anything like that, but it is SO CUTE!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
HER TUMMY IS SO ADORABLE!!!I've never seen anything like that, but it is SO CUTE!!!
Haha.. I told you she had a little fat roll! lol! It's not like that when she standing up and walking around and it's not like that when she is laying stretched out, but when she curls up to sleep or sits kind of hunched over you can see it. I have never see a dog with a tummy like that until Desy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs