U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,098,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

Since I've had him, I've had many people say, "oh, I see X, Y or Z breed". That's fine. But to be so argumentative about it? I wonder what in the world these people are thinking.
Make up your own breed name. Just tell the rude ones that Kizzy is a rare Norwegian Game hound or a Scottish cattle herder, something fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Your dog has that random, unique look of a mix/mix to me - lots of different breeds all rolled into one adorable dog. Couldn't make a duplicate if you tried and way too much of a mix to label the dog as any given breed. My grandma used to call them "farm dogs." Now they're often referred to as "lab mixes".
His full name is Kizmet. One of his nicknames is "Kizmutt". And, you're right, he just has a random look to me. Like one of those dogs you see on a farm, or a puppy you would see in a box on the side of a rural road with the sign "free to good home".

Quote:
People who like (or fear) a particular breed will often see traits of that breed in a mixed breed dog. Maybe that breed is there but maybe it's not - it's impossible to know if you've never seen the sire or dam.
It's funny that you say that. One of my dear friends SWEARS that she sees spinger spaniel in him. Interesting to know that she was involved in springer rescue....

Quote:
Mutts like your Kizzy are enigmas which is part of their wonderful charm .
He's actually a North American Spot-Footed Chow Hound. He'll be recognized by the AKC one day. LOL

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,098,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

He's actually a North American Spot-Footed Chow Hound. He'll be recognized by the AKC one day. LOL
And a fine specimen at that. Thank you for "showing" him!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,196,822 times
In the islands, dogs that are mixed with many different breeds are called coconut retrievers. Tell anyone who asks that Kizzy is a cr.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
In the islands, dogs that are mixed with many different breeds are called coconut retrievers. Tell anyone who asks that Kizzy is a cr.
Oh, good one. That'll throw these people on the West Coast completely off.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
yup i agree with the others, make up a breed name if you want to or just tell them you knw the parents, whatever as long as yoru vet doesnt think hes a pit mix you should e safe from ac, as for everyone else,...

quite honestly...i have pure bred dogs and i have people correcting me on my dogs breeds all the time...
ive shown them i have their reg papers...ect...but nope, other eople know better...

so as of right now...
the oldest female long haired chihuahua is a pomeranian
the youngest female chi is a papillion
the male chihuahua is a "teacup" chihuhaua (everyone gets hes a chihuaua but i think its only becaus ehes a whopping 3lbs full grown...so obviously anythign that small MUST be one of those "teacups" (to which i usually reply, nawh i keep my teacups in the china cabinate!))

the cocker spaniel people tend to get right...tis the floppy ears...sad part is hes the only "mutt" of the group (hes an english cocke x american cocker)

the cresties are the best though...
my female whos a powderpuff chinese crested is...of course...a poodle...ok shes white and i keep her in a pony cut (she hates the brush) so poodle, i can understand...

but my hairless male...ohhhh noone has a clue...hes either got mange...because dogs are supposed to have hair, or hes "ill" (no realy ive had eople tell me im a terrible person because he needs to see a vet...or pull thier kids away because "it might be contageous")
i tell them he just has male pattern balding :P

or...my favorite was when i got stopped in petco and animal control called on me for having a baby african painted dog/african wild dog...
then had to argue with the ac officer that my dog is not sick but infact naturally hairless...
thankfully the officer realized its not a wild canine...but he just didnt want to accept the fact that dogs come nekkid sometimes.
i had to call my vet directly and have them talk to her!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
or...my favorite was when i got stopped in petco and animal control called on me for having a baby african painted dog/african wild dog...
then had to argue with the ac officer that my dog is not sick but infact naturally hairless...
thankfully the officer realized its not a wild canine...but he just didnt want to accept the fact that dogs come nekkid sometimes.
i had to call my vet directly and have them talk to her!
Oh wow...Don't these people have anything better to do?

I suppose that's what gets to me. With all of the budget cuts and all, that people still insist upon pressing issues like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs