Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,902 times

Advertisements

Maybe the reason dogs (and cats) do things like this is because they simply want to share something that their beloved human enjoys so much. More than a few have experienced their dog begging for a beer. Doing the same for coffee makes sense to me. While browsing for the video, I saw lots of comments ... "No! Don't give the dog caffeine!" I don't imagine those sips are going to cause any harm. I wonder if Kailani's rat terrier would be interested if she gave him his sip in a second cup while she was drinking from her own cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,102 times
Funny thing is is that he will prance his butt back to bed after he uses me for his fix!! He even burrows under the covers until he's ready to get up!!

I do use pretty decent coffee, and use cream and agave. I have tried to put it in a separate cup before but he snubbed it.. I will give it a try again! I like the spoon idea!
He doesn't do it when we're drinking beer, or that would be fun!

He's got a lot of personality for sure!!!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
I have 4 dogs and 3 of them beg for coffee.

I don't think coffee is good for dogs so I don't give it to them. They do steal an occasion cup though, if some one knocks on the door or I turn around to do something

Toxic Foods that you should Avoid Giving Your Dog
Quote:
Coffee Grounds and Beans

Some dogs will eat anything, especially if they're enjoying a forbidden treat from a trash can.

Coffee grounds and beans have caffeine in them, and dogs that eat them can suffer from caffeine toxicity.

The symptoms of coffee toxicity are similar to the symptoms of chocolate toxicity, and just as serious, if not more so.

Also beware of leaving out bowls or packages of chocolate-covered coffee beans.

These amount to the worst of both worlds in terms of chocolate and coffee poisoning.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
IF this was a Pit bull or Rottie or Dobie You folks would NOT be Agreeing with this Behaviour! Was Not the DD fault she got bit Was MOMS fault for allowing the Dog to Rule!!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
Too much caffeine can be lethal for your dog. It isn't much different than giving your dog chocolate which contains caffeine as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:18 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,266 times
Katie - Pits and rotties and Rat Terriers are like compareing apples to oranges and grapes ..

BTW we have a pit as well as the little rat and I trust the pittie futher than the rat terrier so lets not go there please..

Last edited by Faworki1947; 07-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: chosing my words carefully

Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
I am not vet but I'm pretty sure coffee should not be given to dogs. They metabolize caffeine different than us. In fact not very well.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Maybe the reason dogs (and cats) do things like this is because they simply want to share something that their beloved human enjoys so much. More than a few have experienced their dog begging for a beer. Doing the same for coffee makes sense to me. While browsing for the video, I saw lots of comments ... "No! Don't give the dog caffeine!" I don't imagine those sips are going to cause any harm. I wonder if Kailani's rat terrier would be interested if she gave him his sip in a second cup while she was drinking from her own cup.
That explanation doesn't work in our situation--we're not great coffee drinkers, but our dog begs coffee from this kind soul who brings his coffee to the dog park, and he lets her have the last few sips! An acquired taste--but from where? Maybe his coffee tastes better to her than my occasional cup of instant decaf...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Why do owners reinforce bad behavior? My Mom's dog, would paw on people's legs, until he was pet. Therefore, he felt like he was free to completely shred someone's stockings, skin, or pants until he got what he wanted. Until I come over...a new sheriff in town...and he started the "paw trick" on me, and I immediately corrected him, and put him outside. He stopped this behavior on me within two days. So, I suggest starting some major behavior modification on this dog, he is not your owner. He should not be telling you what to do...

Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,266 times
true the coffee isnt likely a good thing for the dog BUT what goes in the saucer isnt more than a sip anyways .. some dogs just like the taste of the coffee JUST LIKE PEOPLE do .. I agree its an aquired taste BUT that sip isnt gonna kill the dog even if its every morning she gets it .. and its not that good for peoples either but yanno what... we still like the stuff and its a way of getting closer to some one we love .. lighten up its not like thats all the dog gets to drink .. :: shakes head over the reactions of some folks:: Y'all gonna have a cow when I say the dog likes beer as well and her and the Pit get to split the last of my can soon as its warmer than I like to drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs