U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 AM

12,578 posts, read 16,903,801 times

Advertisements

I also agree with the medicam . My big dog had severe arthritis close to the end of his life and the vet dxed medicam and it was really a big help .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 19,612 times
Stella is still with us, head up and tail wagging when she gradually wakes up and after she gets her morning dose of Tramadol and is straight outside for her usual toilet! The dose is now up to 13 50 mg capsules per day. The timing of each dose is important. No more than 6 hours between doses. I cater for her current food preference - a brew of slowly cooked beef with hearts and kidneys with the vegetables left out except for homogenised pumpkin. Also - soy bean sauce and yeast extract. She prefers our expensive cat biccies!
I tried again to give her straight capsules - slipped into her mouth while muching cat biccies! She swalled - thought - wow I ve done it at last! But no! out comes the capsule! She is OK with the cream cheese mixed with sugar and powder from the capsules.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 19,612 times
It is now 5 weeks since our Stella was given a dose of Morphine and we discovered that she was still full of life when we took away her pain - with Tramadol - carefully monitored.
Tramadol (high rate 600 - 700 mg per day for 43 kg dog with terminal cancer) seems to be not for every dog. The dose times decreased gradually from every 8 hours to every 6 hours.

With Stella aged 14 years having terminal melanoma cancer it was a matter of time when her time was up.
Stella knew and let us know
It was last Saturday morning - her final walk down to her favourite swimming hole at our river and back home - she lay down and we knew it was time to call in our vet - at home

Stella has passed away peacefully having lived with us from
the year 2000 when she came to us as a small puppy.
She has been the most wonderful companion, friend, playmate,
guide, guard and a never ending source of optimism, and energy.
Her ability to come through adversity is legendary, her appetite
always amazing.
She had enormous energy and love of life
Stella - we miss you

Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM

745 posts, read 947,177 times
I give my dog Tramadol on occasion for pain. It does seem to help the pain, as he does not moan or wake up several times a night. But what I have noticed is that while he is taking either the Tramadol or the Remadryl, one of them seem to be causing him to have bad muscle spasms when he sleeps. He kicks the wall and looks like he is running. I have not given him any recently, but he has been sleeping okay.
A friend of mine said she was given Tramadol, as people can take it as well, she said she did not like the way it made her feel and it was only moderate at actually helping the pain.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:21 PM

745 posts, read 947,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David J S View Post
It is now 5 weeks since our Stella was given a dose of Morphine and we discovered that she was still full of life when we took away her pain - with Tramadol - carefully monitored.
Tramadol (high rate 600 - 700 mg per day for 43 kg dog with terminal cancer) seems to be not for every dog. The dose times decreased gradually from every 8 hours to every 6 hours.

With Stella aged 14 years having terminal melanoma cancer it was a matter of time when her time was up.
Stella knew and let us know
It was last Saturday morning - her final walk down to her favourite swimming hole at our river and back home - she lay down and we knew it was time to call in our vet - at home

Stella has passed away peacefully having lived with us from
the year 2000 when she came to us as a small puppy.
She has been the most wonderful companion, friend, playmate,
guide, guard and a never ending source of optimism, and energy.
Her ability to come through adversity is legendary, her appetite
always amazing.
She had enormous energy and love of life
Stella - we miss you
OMG, I am so sorry.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
My little girl was in real bad shape .The vet gave her previcox. It gave her mobility and another year she would have never had without it.She actually died of something else. Its expensive ,but worth it. I would shop around and try to get it in bulk. Hope your baby gets some relief .

Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 AM

10,938 posts, read 6,969,811 times
That stuff had my dog stoned.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,165,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
My 11 year old GSD/Lab, Mac, recently injured his back. The vet prescribed Tramadol for pain. Dosage is 50mg, 3 times a day. I am not seeing much improvement. He still shows signs of pain (pacing, panting, incontinence and behavioral changes).

I am concerned that either he is not on the correct dosage or this just is not the right medication.

Thoughts? I can't stand to see my pup like this.

yes!! this is a very common pain med
have you called your vet on this? what else is going on that might be causing these things
I would talk to my vet who are trained, do you trust this one?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
That stuff had my dog stoned.

it is non narcotic
I have used this many many times as well as clients of mine
I am a dog sitter also used on cats

Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I give my dog Tramadol on occasion for pain. It does seem to help the pain, as he does not moan or wake up several times a night. But what I have noticed is that while he is taking either the Tramadol or the Remadryl, one of them seem to be causing him to have bad muscle spasms when he sleeps. He kicks the wall and looks like he is running. I have not given him any recently, but he has been sleeping okay.
A friend of mine said she was given Tramadol, as people can take it as well, she said she did not like the way it made her feel and it was only moderate at actually helping the pain.

this movement is very common in dogs when they sleep
also cats feet twitch
I too have taken it
did not have a problem, it is non narcotic
but I always keep my vet informed of any thing I am worried about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs