U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,764 times

Advertisements

We dispense quite a bit of Tramadol to dogs in chronic pain, and many clients swear by it. However, it is not as effective alone as when combined with a good NSAID, such as Metacam. And as of this month Tramadol has become a controlled substance in veterinary medicine, which has dramatically increased the cost from the distributor. I had my 15 yr old dog on a combo of Tramadol and Metacam, but I started slowly weaning him off the Tramadol (never stop cold turkey as this can cause an increase in pain and withdrawals depending on the dog's health & length of time on it) and squirting the liquid Metacam only with his food, it hasn't seemed to phase him a bit, he's still a jumper. I'm not suggesting you do the same, but you do have options to discuss with your vet about what meds they recommend combining (if possible) for your specific dog. Plus, when the 2 are combined. Hope some answers and relief come to him soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 105 times
I have a 46 pound dog that just had surgery yesterday. They gave her some
Carprofen 7.5 mg for pain said give her 1 pill at night for 4 nights. All she did was cry in pain all night. She couldn't get comfortable.
My other dog had surgery about 6 months ago and they gave him tramadol. He only weighed 2.3 lbs so they gave him 1/4 pill twice day for 4 days.
Is it ok to give my 46 lb dog a 50 mg tramadol pill ?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 640,271 times
When you say "1/4 pill", I'm going to assume you mean 1/4 of a 50mg pill, which would be a 12.5 mg dose. Am I right? According to recommended dosage (google: dosage tramadol dogs) it should be 1 mg per pound, which would make that tiny dog's dosage pretty high. Which obviously can be done.

Now, I am not a vet. I am not a vet tech. Most vets and vet techs will, at the least, gasp in shock if they though we might do something without consulting them first. In part, they disapprove because when you do the prescribing yourself, from your leftover stock, you could be doing the wrong thing. Like your 46 pound dog could turn out to be unusually sensitive to tramadol. Not likely, I suppose, but possible.

Also, I don't like to use tramadol generally on two counts. It "dopes up" the dog - making the dog logy, sleepy, and "dopy". It doesn't always work for all dogs for pain relief. Most it does, but it can be a funny drug.

It this was a weekday, you should just call your vet and ask them this question. Since today is a weekend, you might still call your vet - a lot of practices are open on Saturday mornings.

But if you really want to take it on yourself? It it were me, and I felt there was a need? I'd try a half pill - 25 mg. If that didn't help after 4-8 hours, I might try a full pill. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than that.

Important thought here, for what you are describing, I would not consider the tramadol to be needed. Yes, your dog is uncomfortable. I can feel for you and Dog on that score, but I wouldn't change from the prescribed Carprofen on that account. If the dog is in danger of hurting herself further or undoing the surgery stitches, then I would consider the tramadol.

It is unfortunate that your dog is uncomfortable, but Dog will live through that, and the pain and discomfort will go way down over the next couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs