U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM

517 posts, read 570,415 times
Question Anyone ever used Tramadol for their dog?

My 11 year old GSD/Lab, Mac, recently injured his back. The vet prescribed Tramadol for pain. Dosage is 50mg, 3 times a day. I am not seeing much improvement. He still shows signs of pain (pacing, panting, incontinence and behavioral changes).

I am concerned that either he is not on the correct dosage or this just is not the right medication.

Thoughts? I can't stand to see my pup like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM

2,030 posts, read 1,720,455 times
My 17 year old Shih Tzu has vertabre problems, he also was given tramadol for pain, and a anti inflamatory. When needed I give him 1/2 a pill twice a day, in a day or two he is ok. I only use the meds when he absolutely needs it.

He has had no adverse reaction to Tramadol, and does the trick for him pain wise.

I would take your baby back to the vet, as, he should be getting some quick relief from the Tramadol.

Unread 07-24-2011, 04:53 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,227,371 times
Tramadol did nothing for my shepherd. I would talk to the vet about other options. My bulldog was on Metacam which really helped with his arthritis.

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM

284 posts, read 677,041 times
My 75 lb dog did well with Tramadol 2-3 years ago (50 mg, 3X/day), but it did NOT relieve her pain earlier this year when it was re-prescribed for pain related to her severe hip dysplasia. Perhaps the formulation has changed.

She does get relief from Meloxicam (the human tablet version of liquid or injectable Metacam for dogs) and Robaxin. Meloxicam is an NSAID; Robaxin is a muscle relaxant but seems to give her more pain relief than the Meloxicam/Metacam. Ask your vet if either or both of those Rxs would be suitable alternatives. If so, they are available at pharmacies, Costco, etc.

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:38 PM

3,613 posts, read 9,704,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Tramadol did nothing for my shepherd. I would talk to the vet about other options. My bulldog was on Metacam which really helped with his arthritis.
my small dog was hurting and the vet did the Xray so he could rule out hips, anyway it is Ortho artritis. He did show me the Xrays which then he did say give her based on 15 to 16 lbs rymidal.
Yes it really did work for pain, It also was expensive then Fr Foster and Smith said the generic is one half the price. That works fine also, and she
only gets it now as needed. Best is to talk to the vet and say the dog is
hurting. Best of luck and happy health soon to your dog.

Unread 07-24-2011, 05:49 PM

2,228 posts, read 591,586 times
Tramadol worked for my little pom, but made him sleep continuously. Eventually they put him on steroids...avoid at all costs. It won't be long before my baby was dead....following him eating and drinking so continulously he couldn't even have a life anymore....he couldn't stop wanting food, water and peeing constantly. Really try not to do steroids.

Unread 07-24-2011, 06:21 PM

3,613 posts, read 9,704,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Tramadol worked for my little pom, but made him sleep continuously. Eventually they put him on steroids...avoid at all costs. It won't be long before my baby was dead....following him eating and drinking so continulously he couldn't even have a life anymore....he couldn't stop wanting food, water and peeing constantly. Really try not to do steroids.
One vet for my Bichon who had itching problems wanted to do steroids.
Anyway, not understanding and not trusting that vet I said no.
Some vets I guess have magic and really don't explain problems that the
meds do have. Thanks for that advice and sorry about your pom.

Unread 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM

9,668 posts, read 12,162,276 times
Medicam did wonders for my two dogs who developed acute pain problems.
My little guy who started on steroids for cutaneous lupus at age 11 died two years later, apparently from bleeding out from the Prednisone effects. It aged him fast- dull coat, sensitive to heat and cold, and then the increasing bleeding at age 13. But he had to have it, otherwise he got these awful sores on his delicate membrane areas. I wouldn't use it long-term unless it was the only thing to use for something pretty serious.
My senior terrier mix was on Rimadyl, 100mg twice a day, when he was very overweight and tore his ACL. Now he's on 37.5 once a day with great results. I tried to taper him off completely, but it didn't work.
I think Tramadol would be more for non-inflammatory pain, not for arthritis? My dogs have had it with other pains?illnesses.

Unread 07-25-2011, 01:42 AM

2,640 posts, read 2,492,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
My 11 year old GSD/Lab, Mac, recently injured his back. The vet prescribed Tramadol for pain. Dosage is 50mg, 3 times a day. I am not seeing much improvement. He still shows signs of pain (pacing, panting, incontinence and behavioral changes).

I am concerned that either he is not on the correct dosage or this just is not the right medication.

Thoughts? I can't stand to see my pup like this.
My pet was on a pain patch after surgery and used the Tramadol after the patch was removed for about 3 days, she was not herself with this drug, sort of zonked out abit, as the others have mentioned ask the vet for Metacam or meloxicam (tablet form) the tablet form is more cost wise, $4.00 vs about $100.00 for the Metacam liquid, you would need the larger bottle with the size of your pet.

The Meloxicam tablets where I live come in a 7.5 mg tablet, ask your vet about this and about the dosage, they may tell you to break it in half, maybe not. It is a human drug also.

There is also Deramaxx another pain drug, its expensive,the vet should have knowledge of that drug also.

I believe Rimadyl is another drug but my pet needed to take an acid pill along with it, it can upset their stomachs, acid pill meaning Tagamet, or those over the counter drugs for stomach acid, check with vet about those.

It sounds like the Tramadol is not agreeing with your pet

I'm sorry your pet is in pain , I know how you feel, its sad to see our doggies not themselves.

Unread 07-25-2011, 02:12 AM

816 posts, read 787,665 times
You might want to check into accupuncture for your dog along with the allopathic med your vet's giving you for the pain. It would not interfere with the meds but might help alleviate the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs