Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
What he (the dog) needs is to trust the husband inside the house and out. If it take food bribery, GO FOR IT. Use what he loves most. Most important, be patient. It does not matter how long it takes, as long as you are making forward progress.

Make sure when your wife returns, both of you work together as a team with him. When you go for walks, she can start with the leash and the dog between you, pass the leash between you and don't forget you food bribes (at least in the beginning.)

It will take time but that is on your side.

Here's a suggestion: There are three ways you can approach him. You can back up to him or approach him from your side (side-step). A frontal approach is more dominate and for him is a tough challenge. Eventually, you can do this but for now try the other two and see if it makes a difference.

Although dogs live in the moment, there is something that is triggered in his brain around men. Try not to take it personally, you have been nothing but kind and that is what he needs in order to trust you. He needs to know you are not there to hurt or harm him.

Best wishes on his rehab. Oh, I almost forgot, thank you for saving his life!

"From wet noses to wiggley butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!" Luv-A-Bull.Denver
Well, Hobbs is very happy that the Mrs. is home. Now thought he sticks to me a lot
Yes, we usually walk together on our 120 acre ranch w/ Hobbs
I give him little pieces of dog biscuits and he does very very well.

We/I have seen big changes in him and I did spend a lot of time w/him
and it worked

HW and Suninhair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Talking Rehab works!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Well, Hobbs is very happy that the Mrs. is home. Now thought he sticks to me a lot
Yes, we usually walk together on our 120 acre ranch w/ Hobbs
I give him little pieces of dog biscuits and he does very very well.

We/I have seen big changes in him and I did spend a lot of time w/him
and it worked

HW and Suninhair
Excellent news! Continue this type of work with Hobbs and you will continue to see a new Hobbs!

*Happy Dance*

Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
would even up the ante to little pieces of cooked chicken or steak - that will win him over more so than biscuits ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs