U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Neighbor A should chill, and be happy a neighbor was watching out for him 2 5.13%
Neighbor B should think through the situation better, and check the tags on the dog 17 43.59%
Neither is really "wrong," just a weird situation 16 41.03%
Other (specify in thread) 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,809,304 times

Advertisements

B is absolutely wrong.
All the issue of age, who should keep what locked, well this or that does not remove the fact that B tresspassed and broke into the neighbors house.

To those who think the neighbor unlocked door is an excuse to remove 100% blame, are you telling me that if you parked your car and left the windo cracked a bit and someone poured vomit in the car, you would shrug it off and say it's all your fault? Get Real!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
True story. I was riding with a 58 year old guy friend in a bad rain storm in his neighborhood when we spotted 2 cockers out and getting wet. He knew exactly where they lived, rang the doorbell and when nobody answered he opened the unlocked front door and the dogs ran in.

then a few hours later, he called the folks to tell them he was the one who found and returned their dogs. They started laughing and said how surprised they were to come home and find 4 cockers in their house. The two they owned and the 2 new ones! The stray cockers turned out to be litter mates of their own dogs and lived about 4 blocks away and had escaped from their home when a strong gust of wind opened the front door.They had on tags but my friend didn't even bother to check them cause he just knew where they belonged. Everybody had a good laugh about it and that was that. It helped that they all knew each other socially and no real harm was done.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM

16,651 posts, read 26,661,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
True story. I was riding with a 58 year old guy friend in a bad rain storm in his neighborhood when we spotted 2 cockers out and getting wet. He knew exactly where they lived, rang the doorbell and when nobody answered he opened the unlocked front door and the dogs ran in.

then a few hours later, he called the folks to tell them he was the one who found and returned their dogs. They started laughing and said how surprised they were to come home and find 4 cockers in their house. The two they owned and the 2 new ones! The stray cockers turned out to be litter mates of their own dogs and lived about 4 blocks away and had escaped from their home when a strong gust of wind opened the front door.They had on tags but my friend didn't even bother to check them cause he just knew where they belonged. Everybody had a good laugh about it and that was that. It helped that they all knew each other socially and no real harm was done.
Love it!

PS. For some reason, I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode -- the one in the Chinese restaurant -- where George wants to the use the pay phone but constantly gets rebuffed. Then he yells out "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY!!!"

When I first moved into this neighborhood, I "decided" (wrong word because it was completely subconscious) to create a COMMUNITY. I know and talk and like all (except for one) of my neighbors. I love that feeling of them being part of my life and me being part of theirs.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,960,127 times
Neighbor B is an idiot. He needs to check the tags. If their are no tags, call animal control. Tell them you found a stray dog, and they can use whatever resources they have to find the owners.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,369,816 times
It depends on how upset neighbor A is. How strongly is he/she reacting?

I definitely think that this is neighbor B is 'wrong' however if it wasn't done on purpose I would say a sincere apology would be the way to handle it.

Depending on the type of dog I would be TERRIFIED if I came home to find a strange dog in my house. Is it dangerous? How did it get in? Is there someone with it who is going to jump out at me any moment?

I would also be very fed up if it made a mess of my place - ripped stuff up or had accidents on my expensive rug. Or if my tiny dog was also home and had been hurt or terrorized in any way (she's not a dog's dog).

However I think it would be a shame if neighbor A is making a HUGE fuss. I mean I would be annoyed, but would let it go if there was an apology.

Now if there was NO apology, I might feel really fed up.

Also bear in mind that these are probably mostly dog lovers who are responding. Maybe Neighbor A doesn't like dogs, is allergic or afraid of them?

I definitely think Neighbor A has the right to be upset, but not to cause a neighborhood rift over it!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,815,381 times
neighbour A should be chill tbh

Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,425,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
It depends on how upset neighbor A is. How strongly is he/she reacting?

I definitely think that this is neighbor B is 'wrong' however if it wasn't done on purpose I would say a sincere apology would be the way to handle it.

Depending on the type of dog I would be TERRIFIED if I came home to find a strange dog in my house. Is it dangerous? How did it get in? Is there someone with it who is going to jump out at me any moment?

I would also be very fed up if it made a mess of my place - ripped stuff up or had accidents on my expensive rug. Or if my tiny dog was also home and had been hurt or terrorized in any way (she's not a dog's dog).

However I think it would be a shame if neighbor A is making a HUGE fuss. I mean I would be annoyed, but would let it go if there was an apology.

Now if there was NO apology, I might feel really fed up.

Also bear in mind that these are probably mostly dog lovers who are responding. Maybe Neighbor A doesn't like dogs, is allergic or afraid of them?

I definitely think Neighbor A has the right to be upset, but not to cause a neighborhood rift over it!

thats what I was thinking

Old 07-28-2011, 03:15 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,740,335 times
i wonder how many of you would be so dismissing of neighbor B's actions if youd come home in the dark to a strange dog...
and while the situation doesnt say this...
what would you do if you came home and that strange dog had destroyed your home?
even the best manner dog in a strange situation can loose their minds, left alone long enough in a strange place, scarthinc at windows, potentially pottying in the floor, theres furniture to think of. ect.

the short and sweet of it neighbor B tresspassed on the property then broke into the house (door unloked or not)
Assumptions have done serious damage over the years...

this situation could have been alot worse.

i think neighbor A needs to learn to lock his doors...
but i think neighbor B needs to own up be a grown up and apologize (and potentially replace any damaged items) at 21 years old he has no excuse for 1: not checking the tags, 2: entering someone elses property, 3: opening a door (unlocked or not) knowing the owners wernt open.

if he was certain the dog belonged there and the dog had no tags, he could have kept the dog in the garage or on a rope in the yard untill the person returned then took the dog over there in person and checked...
or he could have called animal control...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,355,329 times
Ha! Good stories in this thread. Thanks for voting anyone who did. In case I didn't make it too obvious, I am neighbor B in this scenario. I didn't make a HUGE deal of it, and didn't yell at the kid or anything, but just told him that I thought he made the wrong decision. I made a slightly snarky comment of "I will let you know if I get a dog," but I really meant it. If my wife and I get a dog, we would let the neighbors know....

It's all good though, I know he had good intentions. And those of you that mentioned it, yes the door should have been locked. That is on me and it could have been worse on that front. (Though I do live in a very low crime area, still not wise).

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM

16,651 posts, read 26,661,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Ha! Good stories in this thread. Thanks for voting anyone who did. In case I didn't make it too obvious, I am neighbor B in this scenario. I didn't make a HUGE deal of it, and didn't yell at the kid or anything, but just told him that I thought he made the wrong decision. I made a slightly snarky comment of "I will let you know if I get a dog," but I really meant it. If my wife and I get a dog, we would let the neighbors know....

It's all good though, I know he had good intentions. And those of you that mentioned it, yes the door should have been locked. That is on me and it could have been worse on that front. (Though I do live in a very low crime area, still not wise).
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Tricky!

I'm assuming that you meant that you're Neighbor A, though.

Anyway, I'm glad that it all worked out in the end and that nobody's mad at anyone else.

Too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or