Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times

Advertisements

It's really funny that you mention this b/c my female GSD has a specific issue with Beagles and any Beagle-like dog (like a Bassett). She rarely attacks other dogs (she attacked a Collie once that nipped at me) but she has attacked two Beagles, without any obvious provocation. Yes, they were unknown to her, but she has no other problems with stranger dogs of other breeds, just that specific breed. It's weird. So, anytime I see someone with a Beagle or a Bassett, I don't even allow her to interact with them.

I'm thinking that, if you were to look back at the GSD's origins, there might be something about an initial antagonism to Beagles... ? Who knows. But I just wanted to let you know that this very well might be specific to some GSD's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It's really funny that you mention this b/c my female GSD has a specific issue with Beagles and any Beagle-like dog (like a Bassett). She rarely attacks other dogs (she attacked a Collie once that nipped at me) but she has attacked two Beagles, without any obvious provocation. Yes, they were unknown to her, but she has no other problems with stranger dogs of other breeds, just that specific breed. It's weird. So, anytime I see someone with a Beagle or a Bassett, I don't even allow her to interact with them.

I'm thinking that, if you were to look back at the GSD's origins, there might be something about an initial antagonism to Beagles... ? Who knows. But I just wanted to let you know that this very well might be specific to some GSD's.
Interesting story.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 428 times
I have a 65 pound intact gsd who was wonderful with all animals until being harassed by an approximately 10 pound terrier while confined in her kennel. My gsd escaped from her collar one night while the terrier was out and went to teach him a lesson. I realize that if she wanted to hurt him, he wouldn't exist and neither dog was really hurt. Each had one spot which I assume was from toenails in all the scuffle. Try as we might the harassment has not totally stopped. My dog is still ok for the most part but has become unpredictable with small dogs. I tried getting the owner to introduce their dog politely or let me hold their dog with a fence separating the two but they refused. I have tried a mechanical dog that barks and wiggles and she's ok with that. I am trying to let her become introduced to other small dogs slowly but I am frustrated. Any other suggestions????? Spaying is not an option.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:22 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Since your female is older and has health issues (degenerative meyelopathy ?) she might not want a puppy anywhere near her even if the puppy is submissive. My first female when she got older and had DM was like this. Every time my male GSD puppy went near her she growled at him. She was never dog aggressive when she was younger. She never attacked the puppy just didn't want anything to do with him. Fortunately, he got the message and stayed away from her. Many older dogs don't want a puppy in their space.

If the puppy is female and dominant, IMO it will likely be a problem.

If it were me, I'd keep them separate.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBadger View Post
I have a 65 pound intact gsd who was wonderful with all animals until being harassed by an approximately 10 pound terrier while confined in her kennel. My gsd escaped from her collar one night while the terrier was out and went to teach him a lesson. I realize that if she wanted to hurt him, he wouldn't exist and neither dog was really hurt. Each had one spot which I assume was from toenails in all the scuffle. Try as we might the harassment has not totally stopped. My dog is still ok for the most part but has become unpredictable with small dogs. I tried getting the owner to introduce their dog politely or let me hold their dog with a fence separating the two but they refused. I have tried a mechanical dog that barks and wiggles and she's ok with that. I am trying to let her become introduced to other small dogs slowly but I am frustrated. Any other suggestions????? Spaying is not an option.
I'd be Very careful with her around small dogs. Not all GSDs are good with other dogs (big or small). You may not be able to fix this (not saying you can't but you need to realize it's a possibility). The fact that she's OK with a mechanical dog means nothing. You don't say how old she is and that may factor into it. I'd take her to a professional trainer. Not sure why you don't want to spay her but that would help (not a guaranteed fix however).

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Hm.

I dunno.

I will tell you that my collies were lovers of all dogs and people...then slowly morphed into people only dogs as they aged. Which isn't to say they don't have certain doggie best friends or that I couldn't introduce a puppy to the household (puppies are exempt from any aggression, apparently), but I am disinclined to have doggie playdates or coop them up with another strange dog. They would never attack, but they get really pizzed off if messed with too exuberantly.

So it may not matter that your dog is or isn't aggressive with all dogs or small dogs. The smarter idea may be just to be careful.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
Did I read the facts right? You don't know if your GSD is small dog aggressive over an incident that occurred 10 years ago? Does that mean that you have never taken this poor dog for a walk in TEN YEARS?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBadger View Post
Your dog is reflecting YOUR anxiety/weakness over the incident(s) and her inability to trust/control her surroundings.

I don't even follow who's dogs are who's in this story but stop trying to introduce strange dogs to her. They speak their own language and it's one that you don't speak.

Especially at a fence it's called fence fighting and your dog thinks she is protecting YOU/or her territory because she knows you are NOT in charge as a calm confident leader.

You should be able to EASILY stand at the fence line or anywhere in the world even with ELEPHANTS there....say "shhht" or point her away and she turns away and sits down RELAXED (not "behaving" but actually RELAXED).

It should be INTUITIVE to both of you in a balanced relationship. You are a TEAM but she is the FOLLOWER because she is not human and needs a human to guide her in HER language. Doesn't even need WORDS.

GSDs are the smartest dogs in the world and they KNOW EXACTLY what is going on with other dogs and HUMANS. They are also pretty good decision makers which is why they need a leader. They want the car keys not a ball LOL.

Also a female GSD will be the more accurate and FAST biter. In this case since she is unbalanced, you may be bitten by mistake when she is aiming for the other dog or randomly lashing out.

Lastly, ANY dog can dominate another one regardless of size. You will see a Chihuahua boss around a Mastiff and even see a Parrot intimidate a terrier.

They are individuals and all energy comes from the HUMANS (then other animals secondarily) they reside with.

I suggest a dog psychologist to help YOU understand the GSD and what your role has to be as the owner of such a powerful and smart breed.

Unless she can write checks and drive you to the grocery store etc. LOL

I'm a dog walker and as a total stranger I can walk in a house and the dog acts NORMAL with me and completely different with their human owners when the human owners are not balanced. That's because they feel my energy and I know how to convey my leadership in a dog way. I've only been bitten twice once by the dog's accident and once when I missed the cue the dog was giving me because I was in a hurry.

This will escalate so get some help and not by a goof with "power trip" but a person who will explain it to you and coach YOU. It's not about the dog. She would be FINE in my house or another experienced person's house most likely BUT it's never for sure when we can't see the dog or what's really going ON from typed words.

BTW WHY are you allowing the terrier to harass the GSD or vice versa? Put the harasser or both on a LEASH for goodness sakes. (but I really couldn't understand this whole story)

If they both live in the same house your pack is messed up and one help is long pack WALKS all around the neighborhood but this is too dangerous a situation for you to do that at the moment.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-04-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs