Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,612 times

Advertisements

HELP!!! I just recently lost my boxer puppy and am desperatley trying to get another one. I bought him from a private breeder and do not want to but one online. If anyone knows of a reputable breeder,PLEASE let me know. We didn't have him very long but miss him beyond words. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,101 times
Opt to adopt.

Go to your shelter and let the puppy pick you. 100's of wonderful animals die only becuase of over population. Real breeders, reputable breeders, have waiting lists for future litters. Anyone that has pups and is willing to hand you over one for cash-without vet references and homechecks, is a backyard breeder or miller.

There is no reason not to adopt from a shelter. If youMUST have a boxer, go to a Boxer rescue. Otherwise, pet stores and BYBs and millers are simply supported by your money-and you doom another female to another litter to make a greedy human money, and perpetuate the dog's misery as a breeding machine.

Take your time, you do not need a pup today, but I can assure you that in many places tomorrow is death day and by maybe finding a pup in a shelter, you may literally save their life and your as you will have a very happy and grateful companion.

Give it a try.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info, but I don't think I was clear. The man I bought the puppy from isn't an actual breeder he just owns the mother and father and when he they have a litter he sells them very cheap...all UTD with shots and vet visits. I don't want to buy from a miller or pet store because of the horror stories I've heard. My puppy didn't get sick. He swallowed something and University of Penn couldn't save him.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:20 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Chrissy, please google Boxer Rescue Pennsylvania and try there as JustSayNo suggested. You may have to wait to get a pup - those come along pretty rarely - but there are SO many dogs in rescue for various reasons - moving, people quit caring....rescues try to pick dogs for their programs that will easily move into another home and be happy - and in the process they are in foster homes and continue to be socialized. If you adopt through rescue it will mean another dog can properly be assessed that is in a shelter and a life can be saved by moving that dog into the now free foster home!

You will be subject to questions, home visits, and knowledge of the boxer breed in general....but you can also visit your local shelter and see if you can get on any kind of a list for the breed of your choice - and your decision not to buy through a mill, back yard breeder, or pet store is very, very wise. Rescues are quite thorough in their placement requirements, but make sure they also stand behind that dog for the life of the dog. That's not to say they are in any way responsible for vetting or anything else, but should something happen that you are no longer able to keep your rescue, you must return him/her to that organization....it saves a lot of heartbreaking problems in case your situation changed dramatically.

Time and patience are on your side for the perfect companion - in the meantime, no telling what your pup swallowed, but work on making your home as puppy proof as possible - lord knows they can get into something in the blink of an eye. I'm so sorry for your loss - but again, be patient. Sometimes our grief makes us make bad decisions, and that's not fair to you or a new pup...

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,319 times
I agree completely with Justsayno and Sam I Am. I couldn't give you better advice than they did...

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I will certainly look into it. I'm still waiting to hear what he swallowed. It was something outside not in the house. I have 2 small children so my house is always kid proof. Believe me, I am going to take my time but my kids(and I) are very anxious to get another dog. The house just isn't the same without him!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Chrissy, please do consider these options! I appreciate that you understand millers and pet stores and the horrors they create BUT, the "guy" you got your first pup from is a Backyard Breeder, he is the classic definition. The only reason his dogs, or his stock, is not spayed and neutered is so they can create litters to sell. This is water under the bridege, but since you are aware of and care about pet shops and millers I thought you might want to really think about supporting the "guy" in the future.

Now, I strongly suggest that you check out your shelters-PA has a lot of homeless dogs, and puppies, and I am sure that you will spot one that wants to go home with you and your family Rescues as well really have the animal and the family in mind as they match the dog to the family based on the best fet both ways.

All of this will take some time and patience, but "good things come to thoose who wait" You can start the process by talking to your kids, telling them that their is a dog out there looking for them and you, and now you all just have to be patient and find that pup. It is like a tresure hunt, and the first treasure you see may not be the right treasure. YOu WILL know when the pup for you is in front of you!

I know it is hard, but take your time. This is a life-long comittment afterall, and a lifetime of joy and happiness is worth waiting for

Good luck, and you may want to start at petfinders dot com. They have a shelter search area where you type in the species, sex, age, and zip code. This is a little easier than going into the shelter, and will give you a good idea of what is in your area. Caution-do not do the search in front of your kids-or every cute pup that comes on the screen will be "the one."

Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,470 times
Could not agree more. we found these two (our girls) or rather they found us, in two different shelters and they have both become so much a part of the family that we cannot imagine being without them
Attached Thumbnails
HELP:need a puppy!!!!-girls.jpg  

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Thank you Georgepl first for saving their lives, and giving those adorable pups a great HOME And thanks for the testimony on just HOW GREAT shelter animals are.

8 paws up in a salute to you

Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
chrissyk, check out Petfinder.com. You can put in the breed, age, and sex of the dog you are looking for and your zip code. They will give you all of the dogs that meet your specs and tell you how far away they are. There are also links to rescue groups and shelters. I think you will be amazed at the number of really great dogs available through Petfinder.com and I'm sure you'll get the dog of your dreams. P.S. Let us know when you get your new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs