U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,423,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
There are too many incidents, they are too powerful (jaws), get them fixed, it's just not worth the risk.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
Quote:
There are too many incidents, they are too powerful (jaws), get them fixed, it's just not worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
For those that do not own a bully, most take what the media or others say and just repeat what they have heard.

Before I owned my first bully, an Am Staff, I believed what the media portrayed they as and did not want anything to do with them. The first time I saw her, her amber eyes melted my heart. She (my Am Staff) was a true ambassador for the breed. Had I not taken that chance on her, I would have missed out on a beautiful and wonderful friend...who not only did well with kids but had a calming effect on one child who was truly troubled. If there are dog soul-mates, she was mine. We had 12+ wonderful years together and she was by my side in the good and especially the bad times.

She not only change how I looked at bullies, she changed how I would rescue additional future friends. She taught me that I had to lead the pack or she would...but as long as I would step up, she would gladly follow. She taught me that you don't have to be loud to get someone's attention. She would have layed down her life to protect me or anyone else in her pack because she was fearless and loyal not because she was trained.

Pits and Am Staffs are basically the same breed and were originally used as farm dogs, herding, ratting and getting rid of any vermin but most important, they played and had to do well with the kids. (This was before bull-baiting and pit fighting).

Bullies do well when they are exercised, trained and of course raise properly (good / responsible ownership). Stopping behaviors (such as chewing) before they start - as you did with goggles) or giving them the proper chew toys and not allowing unwanted behaviors to escalate. We have to lead them or they will lead us. It is that simple.

It seems your neighbor is uneducated about Pits. You can try to educate her but it may fall on deaf ears. Most people that have formed an opinion won't change it.

We can only continue to rescue these beautiful animals, manage them properly, keep them from people like Michael Vick, oh...my bad. Who give them a bad name.

I would like to add one more thing, whenever possible we do need to educate the public about not only this breed (pits) but all bullies. We have made them who they are through selective breeding. It is not the dogs fault, it is ours. The problem is human made.

Btw, Pits are also banned in England. They wanted to put a stop to underground fighting rings and banning the breed was the best way (they thought).

Also keep in mind, it's not that pits have more teeth, they have more biting power per square inch than most dogs, that is why they can do more damage. Which is why they do better with "Kong" toys than regular toys.

great post .... reps owed......

Old 08-02-2011, 04:43 PM

455 posts, read 552,215 times
I'm sure they are great dogs under most circumstances, just muzzle them around kids!

A few weeks ago, one bite a young boys genitals nearly off, needed surgical repair.Muzzle them or get

Them neutered!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
yeah... and i had a poodle mix take a big ol' chunk out of one of my knuckles.... wonder if that means poodles should be muzzled around children??

absolutely agree about the neuter and spay....

muzzle?? not so much......

Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM

700 posts, read 1,668,121 times
I can't add anything more enlightening or brilliant than what has already been said. Just anecdotes really...

Ever notice that people just love to tell you horror stories? To be more precise, when I had my ferrets - people made it their business to tell me ferret horror stories. Ferrets biting people. Ferrets getting loose and killing some faceless friend or acquaintance or total stranger's kitten/bird/who knows what. I had birds and have dogs - now people make it their business to tell me bird and dog horror stories. Ever notice?

And if I walked around spewing all the horror stories I see about children in the news (I have no kids so I'd have to make up sh-tuff) and wildly extrapolate that into how it could happen to the other party's kids who is trapped on the other end of my one-sided conversation (because really, I'm just talking to hear myself talk)...they'd nod politely and call Belleview in a heartbeat and ask them to make a pickup tout de suite.

Needless to say, I am totally confounded by this behavior. They say ignorance is bliss which means most of the folks I come in contact with are in a perpetually orgasmic state (IMNSHO).

Old 08-02-2011, 05:08 PM

AND ANOTHER THING.

When people are using the media to shape their ideas about DOGS for chrissakes....makes you petrified to think what really important thoughts they are selectively pulling from the news and using it to shape their ideas/behaviors.

:SHUDDER:

Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You mean men?

I concur.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 PM

8,224 posts, read 14,861,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Just disregard it. Walking my pit bulls, I get so many people cautiously asking me if my dogs are friendly or not. No one ever asked it about other, bigger, dogs I've had.
I was asked all the time with my various dogs, including my little beagle/terrier mix. The funniest was people asking if my Irish Setter was friendly. She was the tail that wagged the dog. Problem is she wagged so hard, she couldn't keep her front paws on the ground and she smiled ! Teeth! She was the lovingest dog ever and the most protective of children and babies.

Quote:
You DO realize that there are more bites by Labs than any other breed, right? And my cousins own little yorkies. Nasty things. One was ill and the other took over as leader. When the older one returned, the younger one bit my uncle, my aunt, my one cousin, and finally the other dog - all in the same day. It is not the dog's fault. It is my cousin's fault. She still has not stepped up to be the leader and the dogs are fighting over primary spot. Do not blame the dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yeah... and i had a poodle mix take a big ol' chunk out of one of my knuckles.... wonder if that means poodles should be muzzled around children??

absolutely agree about the neuter and spay....

muzzle?? not so much......
Training, not muzzling. Love not muzzling.

Oh heck, a cat can do horrendous damage with its claws and teeth. Mine don't even let their claws out around me (except for doing the "mommy-thing"). So I assume you (Crunchman) want to see cats declawed also.

Do us a favor and do not ever get a pet - not even a bird - you'd probably de-beak it or file it down.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM

909 posts, read 2,938,805 times
LOL, thought I'd get some moral support here, so thanks!

At one point she told me "the dog even chewed plastic!" I almost told her plastic bottles are one of Shep's favorite toys, but thought better of it

She's not actually my neighbor, but my neighbor's good friend. I've only met once before at a bday party. I probably won't see her again until the next bday party, and Shep won't be there, so

I just wish she could see Shep lay down every time we first meet another dog, stranger or no. It's his standard MO, followed by sniffing, followed by a bow. That's not training, btw, it's just him.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 PM

86 posts, read 265,809 times
Ah don't worry. I grew up with 2 of my neighbors pitbulls. Knew one when she was only a pup. I even know where her favorite scratching spot is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs