U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times

Advertisements

spay and neuter, absolutly agree there, ut that goes for ANY pet dog that is not being shown or kept intact for health reasons

spay/neuter will not "change" any breed.

you do realize that most of the reports of "pit bull" attacks are actually not by an american pit bull terrier at all, and the most people wouldnt be able to correctly identify a true american pit bull terrier in a line up.
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

labs and cocker spaniels account for more bites than "pit bulls"

infact as these bully breeds were created ANY human agression was imediatly culled from breding lines..these dogs were bred ot bait bulls, bears, lions and boars, their human handlers ANY human handler, had to be able to get in "the pit" with these dogs after a huge fight, blood everywhere, dog rilled up potentially injured ect...and the human had to be able to 100% safely handle the dog in that state...
bully breeds should NEVER be human agressive, human agressive pits and any other resemblign breed would have been removed from the lines imediatly.

unfortunatly a combination of thugs and bad breeders, lack of knowledge and media hype has put a horrible lable on a breed that doesnt realy exist...there is no such thing as pit bull, there is the american pit bull terrier, the american staffordshire bull terrier, and the staffordshire bull terrier along with many other rbeeds commonly referd to under this "pit bull" umberella term...these dogs are well know when properly bred and socilized to be EXCELENT with kids, the staffordshire bull terrier is known as the nanny dog because of how wonderfull it is with kids...

but then again, im sure since any animal that has teeth is capable of inflicting serious injury...we should just muzzle them all...ya know...better to be safe right?!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,089,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I have nothing at all against pits and can understand your frustation about her misplaced opinions, but the mother was absolutely correct in instructing her child not to HUG a strange dog.

Very few dogs appreciate being HUGGED, let alone by a stranger. A good dog will tolerate this but does not enjoy it. It is a very good way for a child to get bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I think Shep enjoys being hugged by us, but of course I'm not sure about strange children.
All five of my dogs love hugs. My big old boxer will stand on his back legs, wrap his fore-paws around you and do his deep begging voice begging for you to hug back. Its strangers who end up being freaked out by it, not the dog

Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,562,453 times
BTW, OP, did you happen to mention to this woman that French people also have reputations for being extremely rude?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM

909 posts, read 2,938,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
BTW, OP, did you happen to mention to this woman that French people also have reputations for being extremely rude?

LOL, no I did not.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM

86 posts, read 265,809 times
Too powerful of a jaw? What the hell are you talking about? Pitbulls don't have locking jaws. Their jaws can only bite and hold until the owner tells it to let go or if it wants to. It doesn't have jaws that lock. Besides they don't even have the strongest bite. The dog with the strongest bite is the Rottweiler with 600 pounds of force, followed by the German Shepherd, and then the American Pitbull Terrier.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,562,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Too powerful of a jaw? What the hell are you talking about? Pitbulls don't have locking jaws. Their jaws can only bite and hold until the owner tells it to let go or if it wants to. It doesn't have jaws that lock. Besides they don't even have the strongest bite. The dog with the strongest bite is the Rottweiler with 600 pounds of force, followed by the German Shepherd, and then the American Pitbull Terrier.
Yay for my "bonecrusher," LOL!

Got my first warning about pitbulls yesterday-5763210793_orig.jpeg

Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM

455 posts, read 552,215 times
I would think that labs have more bites due to their majority in numbers, it should be based on a per capita figure.I have owned dogs my whole life, never been bitten, not afraid of dogs.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,725,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
There are too many incidents, they are too powerful (jaws), get them fixed, it's just not worth the risk.
I have had 3 pits, one rescued from a fighting ring; as well as GSD's, dobes, rottens and a slew of other "deadly, dangerous dogs", and never once I have ever been bitten by ANY of them. On the other hand, I had to get 26 stitches in my calf by a golden retreiver, 3 from a chihuahua, and 12 from a cocker spaniel.

APBT rank safer than most of those breeds that American's think are "good family dogs". Hell, Lassie was a biting feind, while Petie from the Little Rascals never bit anyone. APBT were the original "nanny dogs" to children years ago. It's all about training, and good breeding, nothing more.

Ban the deed, NOT the breed.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM

82 posts, read 453,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
Normally when people first see Shep, they say, "Wow, a pitbull something!" Two seconds later they always say, "Oh but they're great dogs!" One even said, "Wonderful family dogs, just gotta train em right." However, yesterday I got my first negative reaction. We had a bunch of neighborhood kids over to swim, and I was chatting with one of the moms. Shep was just wandering around, watching the action. He started to get close to someone's goggles so Dh corrected him and directed him away. The owner asked about it, and I said well Shep is a little chewy so I don't want him to destroy them. She said, is it because he has so many teeth? Then she said he looks a little like a pitbull, and I said, well he might be, a lot of people have said so. Then she said, "you should be careful because you have little ones, he could become dangerous." I said, "Oh no, Shep is great with the kids, very gentle." Then she said, "my friends had a pitbull, he was a good dog, a good dog, then when he was 3 they had to put him down because he attacked their child." Bit the kid's head, required 13 stitches. Then she goes on to tell me that her country (France) doesn't allow pitbulls at all. I guess they have a ban? Anyway, she said her friends got the pitbull as a pup, so it should've been okay but it wasn't.

I really didn't know how to respond. I wanted to ask if they had worked with the dog, trained it properly. But it seemed like a personal question, also I didn't know how good her English was for me to dig further. So I just let it go. She did ask if he was a good guard dog, and I said Ha! he almost never barks, not even at the door bell. Although he will now if someone approaches the door, or the yard when he's in it. And she said oh that's very good, if he's not a guard dog, and since he's not pure pitbull maybe it's okay.

Gee thanks lady. When they were leaving her 5yo daughter gave Shep a big hug, and she said, no he's a dog, you don't do that.

25+ years of owning the APBT. I have had both M's and F's. same bloodlines and different bloodlines as well. I bred (don't do it, the shelters are full of APBT's) and kept pups and gave the rest to what I thought would be good homes. all I asked in return was the 1st right to reclaim the dog if they got rid of it. all my dogs were/are house dogs, loved, well fed, well excercised, socialized with dogs, cats, people and kids and all had regular vet appointments/check ups/shots etc.. they were/are in short, part of the family. here is what I know without a doubt; the dogs are all different but share common qualities. they are loyal, super athletic and aim to please. these traits are beyond measure in this particular canine. how are they different? some were brilliant others were (I hate to say it) thick as cow hide. some were the bravest animal in the city, others were frightened of the vacuum and the postal lady and the flag pole. some liked everybody and all the people they came across. some just liked a small circle of people and ignored or tolerated or were just flat out aloof and oblivious to the rest. some dogs liked every and all canines. some just liked a few "special" dog buddies. still others would try and fight any other dog that squatted or raised it's leg. if the other dog had paws then the brawl was on. dogs will be dogs, people. be careful with this great breed! they have special precautionary needs. also, even the most lovable unaggressive APBT can at times be perceived as a dangerous animal. at some point you and your dog will experience bias and prejudice. I have had more than one hysterical "soccer mom" actually scoop her children into her arms. I've had grown men shake/hollar, "put that dog on a leash or I'll call the police". keep in mind the dogs were trustworthy (they earned it) and trained and under verbal command. i still excercise off lead, but it is in remote areas with other very athletic and friendly dogs with owners who know the score. some of my dogs were never off a leash in public. they were too aggressive (wasn't for lack of training and trying to curb the behavior) and they could not be trusted. dog bites and dog fights will open you up to tremendous liability and mucho $, and your dog can pay the price with it's life and that is way too expensive. plus, well, you have an APBT and even if your dog is defending itself YOU are wrong. the most important thing with these "guys" is consistency. be consistent! and be in charge. these dogs can be extremely ram-headed and will test your dominance. if they have dominance in the home then they will believe they have dominance in the street, which, given the wrong dog or immature dog could lead to major problems. look for behavior changes anywhere from 8 months to 3 years. a once dog friendly APBT could decide he is a badazz and want to fight. trick is recognizing the change so you can prevent trouble. if you live in a packed suburbia or city then expect a visit from canine control. even if your dog is an epic lover of people and animals. the pooch police (maybe on a neighbors call) will want to see for themselves. I always invited them in. come meet the dogs. any house defensive/aggressive dog would be put in a crate (yes, crate train!) and the rest would be poster children, loving (even canine control) the way they do! all smiles and wags. anyway, too much coffee and I am rambling. thanks for your time! love these/your dogs. they are the best! but never forget with all the talent that they possess you as their owner have enormous an responsibility. peace.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,977,232 times
Ah, welcome to our little club.

Accept the fact that there are some people that are so very happy being totally ignorant of the facts and there is nothing that you can do to force knowledge and education on them. They are and forever will be ignorant people. It sucks, but it's how it is.

I usually respond with facts - they test every single year, year after year in the 90th percentile of all breeds of dogs in temperament tests by an independent agency. They were for years in this country called nanny dogs because of their intense love and devotion to children. Blah blah blah. If it goes much further I thank them for their concern about something that's none of their business that they are obviously totally ignorant of and go about my day.

There will always be a 'devil dog' of some breed in the media. It's what makes them money. And there will always be people too lazy or stupid do their own homework on anything and will just mindless follow and believe the hype. It's frustrating to say the very least. It's also pathetic that we have so many people like that in this country. But what can you do. *shrug* Leave them in their mindless, ignorant cocoons and go on with life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs