U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:45 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,022,300 times

Advertisements

I think we need a new smiley:

Just sayin...................
Attached Thumbnails
Got my first warning about pitbulls yesterday-blocked.jpg  

Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,423,224 times
I seem to find it interesting these pitbull topics. Any dog bites any dog can attack a child or adult. Some how it tends to mostly be the dog's fault for being born a "certain: breed or out of character if it is a different breed, lets say poodle, Pomeranian or some lady's accessory ornament popping its head out of the hand bag. Any dog can and will bite or attack. The trouble with society is that those involved won't take responsibility for their own actions in contributing to the situation.
Kids will tease a dog and then run....... Not a good idea.
Adults will bark at a dog and then laugh..... Not a good idea.
Kids or Adults will willfully challenge a dog and then say... I was just minding my own business.
Kids will climb fences, pop head over fences, climb trees to look into a yard that has a dog aggravating the dog. ... once again... not a good idea.
parents will let their kids pull, tug, yank collars, fur tails as a way of playing with a dog.
So many many things people do wrong with dogs that I don't blame dogs if they get fed up and attack.

Next time someone talks negatively about your dog just tell them. "I work to socialize my dog and train him well to mind my commands. The only variable I can't control is what someone else does around him. As long as the people behave he will behave. Besides ANY dog can bite."

Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,806,747 times
if its not 'pit bulls' its rotties, if its not rotties its dobies, then its akitas, and gsd's before long every dog of every breed will be "dangerous" and well all have to wear saftey glasses, helmets and oven mits and dress in bubblewrap because not one of us is smart enough to think for ourselves or ignore the media bull...
not one of us is growd up enough to use our own brains...nope, we got to listen to the media...

side note i found no articles about a pit bull chewing off a childs genitals...i did however find multiple ones about a daschund, a cocker spenial, and ferrets...
my question...why was that child left alone with the dog long enough for those kind of situations to occur...NO DOG EVER should be left alone with ANY child...i wouldnt even leave a cgc therapy dog alone with a kid...
accidents happen...where were the kids parents? where was the dogs owners? its not the dogs fault that humans are overall...idiots.

personally i like using my brain...
if you wernt "afraid" of dogs youd also understand that its nothing to do wiht the breed and that a well socilized pit bull is no more dangerous than a well socialized golden retreiver.

when people make comments to me about dangerous dogs...i generally respond with i trust my dog more than i trust random people who feel the need to make uneducated comments.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM

86 posts, read 266,486 times
The media should be forced to know what breed of dog is what before they can report on a dog attack.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM

818 posts, read 1,540,207 times
Do people realize that their are about 164 different breeds of dogs? If they're not dangerous, what is so special about a pit bull? The pit bull trend these day is ridiculous, seriously it seems every other person that has a dog owns a pit. What makes them special over other dogs?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:49 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,022,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Do people realize that their are about 164 different breeds of dogs? If they're not dangerous, what is so special about a pit bull? The pit bull trend these day is ridiculous, seriously it seems every other person that has a dog owns a pit. What makes them special over other dogs?
Actually there are thousands of breeds of dogs in the world. Some recognized by breed clubs, others are breeds created by people for specific jobs that may be very rare.

What makes a dog special to a person depends on the person's life style and the dogs' breeding. People with children love the pit or bully breeds because of their dedication and devotion to children. This is a breed that's very loyal to it's family. The consistently score in the 90th percentile in temperament testing year after year and have scored significantly higher than some of the breeds that are generally thought of as 'man's best friend'.

Their calm demeanor and openly affectionate attitude is beloved by many of the people that are around the breed. Their intelligence level and ease of training is a huge bonus to many families.

And above all else, those of us that love the breed, adore their huge smiling faces!

You have a right to like whatever breed you do. Those of us that like this breed or these breeds can like what we want. Welcome to America.

ETA: I've posted the reasons why RESPONSIBLE owners like pits and bullies. I refuse to acknowledge why the criminal element and terrible pet owners choose them.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 PM

86 posts, read 266,486 times
I often say if a pitbull is trained correctly it will be a dog that will sacrifice it's life for his or her owner.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:05 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,423,224 times
here is the real rub on Pitbulls. Human Error. Human Error in handling and training. Human ERROR in describing the dog. Many dogs might look like a pit but are not in fact a pit bull. Police & animal control gets tons of calls from concerned citizens about stray running wild pitbulls. Most turn out to be other breeds. As soon as a dog acts aggressive the laymen on the street will call the dog a pit. I have heard of many accounts from police and animal control officers who take calls about vicious pitbulls seriously but show up and find out the dog is really a Rotty, terrier mix, a lab, and what was that other one... Oh yeah a good ole English Bull dog. Yep good ole punched in faced bull dog.
these are the only breeds I know of that can qualify as a pit bull... Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, and American Bully. Any thing is ( as far as I know) is not a pit but if it is mixed with any of the above could be called a pitbull mix.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,360,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
There are too many incidents, they are too powerful (jaws), get them fixed, it's just not worth the risk.
What does "get them fixed" have to do with risk?

"Jaw power" has nothing to do with how likely a dog is to be reactive and bite, or how likely it is to do harm if it does bite. Pit bulls don't have any greater "jaw power" (whatever that is - you mean psi? or what?) than other 40-60 lb dogs.

Pit bulls are terriers (high prey drive) and have been bred for fighting other dogs; this is true. It's also true that any responsible owner will recognise and manage that tendency. Unfortunately, pit bulls are the ghetto dog of choice and very often not owned by responsible people. The people who champion them and are responsible owners are usually doing so in retaliation to the gross cruelty and neglect perpetrated against pit bulls by horrible owners.

A few days ago I stole a mama pit bull and her puppies; she was chained behind an empty house and the "owner" hadn't been by to give her and the pups food or water in four days. Also they didn't have shelter from rain, and at one point mama dog got herself so wrapped up around a branch on the chain she had about a foot of chain and couldn't even stand up.

I stole her and found a rescue who could take her and her pups (I have no room) and even when other dogs were around her and her puppies all she wanted to do was make kissy-face and play.

Pit bulls kill humans - oh, maybe one a year. Humans kill and abuse pit bulls by the tens, maybe hundreds, of thousand every year - including killing them in "shelters" and "humane societies." Many of which automatically kill any dog that looks like a pit bull or pit bull mix on acceptance.

Frankly, if I was a pit bull I would hate humans and regard them as enemies. It's pretty amazing that the vast majority of dogs, including pit bulls, are so sweet.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,595,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
What does "get them fixed" have to do with risk?

"Jaw power" has nothing to do with how likely a dog is to be reactive and bite, or how likely it is to do harm if it does bite. Pit bulls don't have any greater "jaw power" (whatever that is - you mean psi? or what?) than other 40-60 lb dogs.

Pit bulls are terriers (high prey drive) and have been bred for fighting other dogs; this is true. It's also true that any responsible owner will recognise and manage that tendency. Unfortunately, pit bulls are the ghetto dog of choice and very often not owned by responsible people. The people who champion them and are responsible owners are usually doing so in retaliation to the gross cruelty and neglect perpetrated against pit bulls by horrible owners.

A few days ago I stole a mama pit bull and her puppies; she was chained behind an empty house and the "owner" hadn't been by to give her and the pups food or water in four days. Also they didn't have shelter from rain, and at one point mama dog got herself so wrapped up around a branch on the chain she had about a foot of chain and couldn't even stand up.

I stole her and found a rescue who could take her and her pups (I have no room) and even when other dogs were around her and her puppies all she wanted to do was make kissy-face and play.

Pit bulls kill humans - oh, maybe one a year. Humans kill and abuse pit bulls by the tens, maybe hundreds, of thousand every year - including killing them in "shelters" and "humane societies." Many of which automatically kill any dog that looks like a pit bull or pit bull mix on acceptance.

Frankly, if I was a pit bull I would hate humans and regard them as enemies. It's pretty amazing that the vast majority of dogs, including pit bulls, are so sweet.
Wonderful post Reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs