U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
 
86 posts, read 266,460 times
Reputation: 119

Advertisements

Thank you. I don't think a pitbull knows how hated they are. If they can speak, and know what is happening to them they would protest.

 
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara CA
4,714 posts, read 10,178,066 times
Reputation: 8553
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
LOL, thought I'd get some moral support here, so thanks!

At one point she told me "the dog even chewed plastic!" I almost told her plastic bottles are one of Shep's favorite toys, but thought better of it

She's not actually my neighbor, but my neighbor's good friend. I've only met once before at a bday party. I probably won't see her again until the next bday party, and Shep won't be there, so

I just wish she could see Shep lay down every time we first meet another dog, stranger or no. It's his standard MO, followed by sniffing, followed by a bow. That's not training, btw, it's just him.

crunching plastic bottles is Dazzle's favorite thing. (silkenwindhound) there is nothing tough about him unless bottle unless crunching plastic bottles makes him so
 
Old 08-05-2011, 01:54 PM
 
11 posts, read 31,153 times
Reputation: 24
All I can say is "I love my Pitt!" I use her for protection, even though she won't harm a fly. Recently, I had some weirdo drive up to me to ask for directions, only to ask if my dog was a pitt. I said "Yes." It didn't stop him from yanking his man parts out, but I'm sure it stopped him from getting out his car because maybe at that point she would have actually showned some agression and neutered him.
 
Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 2,687,984 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
But it seemed like a personal question, also I didn't know how good her English was for me to dig further. So I just let it go.

You lost me there. You seemed to understand her English pretty well when she was voicing her concerns, seems like a cheap shot........


Quote:
Originally Posted by Katles11 View Post
All I can say is "I love my Pitt!" I use her for protection, even though she won't harm a fly. Recently, I had some weirdo drive up to me to ask for directions, only to ask if my dog was a pitt. I said "Yes." It didn't stop him from yanking his man parts out, but I'm sure it stopped him from getting out his car because maybe at that point she would have actually showned some agression and neutered him.
WTF is wrong with these trolls, yanking his man parts out? Pure BS shock post.
 
Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: S. New Hampshire
909 posts, read 2,947,521 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
You lost me there. You seemed to understand her English pretty well when she was voicing her concerns, seems like a cheap shot........
.
I understood HER pretty well. But if I started firing questions about whether her friend trained the dog properly, like REALLY properly, in detail, she might've gotten confused. And defensive.
 
Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,547 posts, read 52,647,623 times
Reputation: 70794
Here's the thing...MOST people don't train their dogs. Most of them get away with it because they have dogs with nice enough dispositions. Many of them think that finding poop and peep in your house is normal. No basic commands. No recall.

Why am I supposed to think that people with bully breeds are going to be any different?
 
Old 08-06-2011, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,020,439 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here's the thing...MOST people don't train their dogs. Most of them get away with it because they have dogs with nice enough dispositions. Many of them think that finding poop and peep in your house is normal. No basic commands. No recall.

Why am I supposed to think that people with bully breeds are going to be any different?
I don't think that 'many' people are like that, but yes, there are certainly poor pet owners and some of them own pitbulls. What does that prove?? And don't say pitbulls are more likely to be aggressive, because there are plenty published articles, stats and studies to prove otherwise. They consistently score in the top 90th percentile in temperament testing, higher than many breeds considered 'mans best friend'.

So............. your 'point' is totally invalid. It's just more ranting from someone that's totally ignorant on this subject. You're someone that's obviously willing to buy any BS media hype that your fed, no nearly intelligent enough to do the homework and get the facts yourself. You're simply regurgitating inaccurate, biased information. And you want the people here that ARE educated and have taken the time to actually get the facts themselves to believe you? Mmmmmmmm yeh, not going to happen.
 
Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,358,293 times
Reputation: 10248
I am too lazy to look up cites right now....but I live (and work with rescues) near Flint, Michigan where dog fighting is a huge business and I assure you pit bulls are the ghetto dog of choice: and most of those owners are anywhere between irresponsible and dog fighters. Apart from pit bull afficiandos and rescue folks, my experience leads me to believe that most pit bull owners should not own a house plant, let alone a sentient being. So...your average pit bull owner falls between ignorant and evil on the dog-owning scale.

In other words - pit bulls are high-maintenance dogs who (generally speaking and in a perfect world) ought only be owned by hyper-responsible owners....but IRL pit bulls are most often owned by irresponsible and ignorant owners at best, and fighting dog owners at worst. Pit dog fighting is really prevalent.

If some of the statistics about pit bulls and pit bull attacks would focus on the average owner instead of the breed, we may get a more accurate picture....
 
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,020,439 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I am too lazy to look up cites right now....but I live (and work with rescues) near Flint, Michigan where dog fighting is a huge business and I assure you pit bulls are the ghetto dog of choice: and most of those owners are anywhere between irresponsible and dog fighters. Apart from pit bull afficiandos and rescue folks, my experience leads me to believe that most pit bull owners should not own a house plant, let alone a sentient being. So...your average pit bull owner falls between ignorant and evil on the dog-owning scale.

In other words - pit bulls are high-maintenance dogs who (generally speaking and in a perfect world) ought only be owned by hyper-responsible owners....but IRL pit bulls are most often owned by irresponsible and ignorant owners at best, and fighting dog owners at worst. Pit dog fighting is really prevalent.

If some of the statistics about pit bulls and pit bull attacks would focus on the average owner instead of the breed, we may get a more accurate picture....
I respectfully disagree. Pits are actually one of the most stable temperament dogs out there. Yes, in the hands of a moron, it's possible that the dog will bite. But that's true of ANY breed. Think of what people would think of the Mastiff if it became to criminal's breed of choice. It would also bite, but it would be a 150 pound biter as opposed to a 45 pound biter. Would do way more damage.

Pitbulls are wonderful dogs for any responsible owner, not just those that are hyper-responsible. Sadly, they're incredibly popular with the criminal element and because of that, there are many, many of them. Because there are so many and because the morons of the world choose them more than any other breed, it makes it look like they're an aggressive breed that needs an experienced handler, but that's not true at all. The rottie was thought of the same way for a while. And the dobie, chow chow, shephard, etc. Many breeds have gone through this. And like all breeds, it wasn't the dog that was the problem; it was the owner.

Instead of saying a certain breed should only be owned by someone of a certain amount of experience, we need to be saying that all owners of all breeds should have a certain amount of experience or education. I've had more - WAY more - problems with doxies than pitties. And if any breed needs a very highly educated or experienced owner, I think it's someone with Jack / Parsons Russel. Those are wicked smart dogs that are very highly active. They are not first time dogs in most cases and not for a lazy owner. I don't even have a typical terrier breed in my house because I know they don't fit in with my pack and lifestyle. But even so, I'd never say they're a 'bad' breed. Nor would I mandate that they only go to homes with highly trained owners because not every single J/PRT is like that.
 
Old 08-06-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: S. New Hampshire
909 posts, read 2,947,521 times
Reputation: 530
Actually I thought pitbulls WERE high maintenance dogs. From the standpoint that they are very high energy, and very strong. So they need PLENTY of exercise, otherwise they get pent up energy and frustrated. One of the reasons I wouldn't get a pitbull for myself is that I wouldn't have the time to exercise it enough AND doing the training AND socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top