U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,229 posts, read 5,694,555 times
Reputation: 5779

Advertisements

Blah, blah, blah.... Go ahead and try to take my pit bull. The dog will be the least of your problems.

 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,806,747 times
Reputation: 9586
side note: dont get me wrong, i have no probem with people who simply dont like a breed, or wouldnt own one...
fine...

but simply hating a breed based on what you think you know (or that kind of people in your area that own that breed are idiots), that seems a little dark ages to me...

were supposed to be an inteligent "advanced" race of people with brains of our own...and yet to this day we still feel the need to demonaize a breed (or a race or a religion) to make us feel better about other things in the world, or at least try to take our mind of the real demons out there...
 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 2,687,984 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lets see wanna talk sterotypes?!

chihuhauas: nasty yappy bitey little dogs who cant be trained...oh wait, FALSE
How many more chihuahuas that fit that description do I have to meet before I can call it TRUE?


Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
but simply hating a breed based on what you think you know (or that kind of people in your area that own that breed are idiots), that seems a little dark ages to me...

Your right, people that don't care for pit bulls are far more in the dark ages than socially advanced pit bull lovers like Vaughan.........


Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Blah, blah, blah.... Go ahead and try to take my pit bull. The dog will be the least of your problems.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,717 posts, read 16,817,419 times
Reputation: 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
side note: dont get me wrong, i have no probem with people who simply dont like a breed, or wouldnt own one...
fine...

but simply hating a breed based on what you think you know (or that kind of people in your area that own that breed are idiots), that seems a little dark ages to me...

were supposed to be an inteligent "advanced" race of people with brains of our own...and yet to this day we still feel the need to demonaize a breed (or a race or a religion) to make us feel better about other things in the world, or at least try to take our mind of the real demons out there...
Rep, rep, rep. Rep the heck out of this one.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,022,300 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
1885, take it easy, not everyone that doesn't trust pit bulls is ignorant. Just agree to disagree. I've seen pit bulls do damage with my own eyes, I've been around many pit bulls. I don't trust them. Now, I don't trust any strange dog, but I'd be lying if I said a pit bull didn't make me more alert. Don't tell people they are ignorant or misinformed, throw some random stats out there and try to convince someone that pit bulls are angels with 4 legs. For every fun loving picture of someone taking a picture with there pit and 6 month old, or cat, there is a pit with a Pug in his mouth.

It's amazing how some people think all dogs are created equal. These dogs were bred to fight bears and bulls. Beagles were bred to hunt rabbits. Don't tell me a Beagle is as likely to kill some as a Pit Bull, because thinking like that IS ignorant.
You're entitled to your opinion. Everyone is. But your opinion is inaccurate. And if you want to believe something that's not true - whether it's that a pitbull is more dangerous than another breed or that you have purple unicorns frolicking with God in your backyard, it's up to you. Just please recognize that you have an opinion that is not correct. It's false, period. It's like saying your opinion is two plus two is five. If you want to believe that, go for it, but it doesn't make it correct.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 2,687,984 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. Everyone is. But your opinion is inaccurate. And if you want to believe something that's not true - whether it's that a pitbull is more dangerous than another breed or that you have purple unicorns frolicking with God in your backyard, it's up to you. Just please recognize that you have an opinion that is not correct. It's false, period. It's like saying your opinion is two plus two is five. If you want to believe that, go for it, but it doesn't make it correct.
Agree to disagree, now I need to feed my unicorns.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,552 posts, read 52,658,619 times
Reputation: 70801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
So, your specialty is dealing with people who come to you in a time of emotional turmoil, after a very traumatic event in their life. You have experience with humans, not dogs. Volunteering at a shelter does not make you an expert, I hate to tell you. Being in the medical field in whatever area you specialize does not make you a dog expert. It simply makes you someone that sees the after effects of humans who haven't properly socialized and trained a dog. It makes you someone that sees the effects of a dog bite, but not the dog that did the biting. Which truly doesn't matter because my guess is you couldn't accurately name the breeds anyway. I've met very few people who can do better than 50% of the breed testing. I seldom do better than 70% myself. So you're simply taking the word of a person who was just involved in a very chaotic and distressing situation and very few people in a situation like that can give you an accurate account of what happen. Add in the fact that few people can accurately give you the breed or breed mix of a dog in a situation like that, and you have the reason so many 'pitbulls' bite people. I've seen labs and hounds and dogs like the Dogue that have that more square face listed as a pitbull in shelters all over the place. I've seen veterinarians that have listed dogs improperly. So, out of curiosity, what in the world makes you think you're an expert??

I have 18 years experience in rescue and 19 years experience in training. I started with rottweilers and worked with some of the top rottie breeders and showers in the country. I handled these dogs back when they were the 'evil canine' in the country. I was around the people that worked with the evil Chow Chows and GSD's back when they were the demon spawn of the country. So if I've got all these years behind me and I can't do better than 70%, what in the world makes you think you know so much more? How many classes have you taken on sheltering, veterinary courses, etc? Granted, I'm no vet, but I've been heavily involved with them for years because of my career path.


Before posting on a subject that you obviously have very little knowledge on, trying to claim your 'experience sewing people up' makes you an expert, you might want to check your facts so you don't look like a total moron.

LOL...I think THE OWNERS know the breed of their own dog. And they tell us...wow...connect the dots, lady.

I have nothing against pit bulls (and some bully breeds are my favorite!), but you are so worked up frothing at the mouth, one can't help but wonder where this comes from.

I am totally against breed bans. I think anything a dog does wrong is always 100% the owner's fault.

And you have no effin' clue what my experience, knowledge level, and 'dog intelligence' is. So stop freaking out at someone who actually agrees with you...geez, with reactions and rudeness like this, is it any wonder you feel like the world is out to get you, my pretty...and your little dog!?
 
Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,806,747 times
Reputation: 9586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
How many more chihuahuas that fit that description do I have to meet before I can call it TRUE?

millions to make me belive it...

i was raised with chihuhuas, been around them for 26 years and the only bad ones ive ever met are the ones owned by idiots...once again reinforcing the point that its not the breed but the HUMAN element thats the problem.
our chiuahuas are and have always been well adjusted, they love people, they have manners, they are ppolite and while they bark at odd noises they als understand the "enough' command and quiet when told, in my years ive never had one of our chihuauhas bite anyone (and growing up around someone that bred them i was around ALOT of wowies) they love attention and thier people, there not nasty yappy or ankle biters...and they absolutly can be trained, 2 of our curent 3 have their cgc (the third is in process) of those 1 is a therapy dog (the males not interested in strangers, hes not nasty, he just would rather sit on my lap than a strangers lap)

i know someone with pugs...shes constantly being told pugs are fat, lazy and cant run...yet she runs a group with over 50 pugs who are a good healthy weight and do AGILITY...

its not the breed of dog...
its the human that owns it thats the problem...

so what breed of dog do you have?! im sure i could find plenty of sterotypes about ANY breed....
tell me your breed...then tell me if the sterotypes are true...


as for the comment on vaughn...the same could be said by any good owner of any breed...

if someone told me chinese cresteds were banned, theyd have to go through me to get to my dogs...id hope youd feel the same about protecting your pets.
because quite frankly if not...you probably shoudnt have a dog...
 
Old 08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,595,764 times
Reputation: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I don't have to agree with you, you don't have to agree with me. I think pit bulls are more dangerous than any other major breed in the wrong hands.

An ak47 and a water gun sitting unused, unloaded are harmless right? Put an ak47 in the wrong hands and it's a hell of a lot more dangerous, right? So I'm not blaming the breed itself for it's reputation, but don't blame me when I move to the other side of the street when I see one. I'm not saying a dog can't be controlled, but a pit bull and like breeds are a lot harder than other breeds to be controlled. NEWSFLASH: Most owners can't control them.

Oh, and most stereotypes are true
No, they're not. Nothing that is arbitrary can ever be defined as "true."

And, actually, a water gun that looks like an AK47 is just as dangerous, if not moreso, b/c you'll be shot for having it but won't be able to defend yourself when you are.

Moreover, Pitbulls are not AK47's. Your assumption is that the breed is as dangerous as an automatic weapon, which is (again) ridiculous. But since you haven't been unable to understand my point, I will reiterate it, with emphasis: any dog can be trained to be aggressive. Aggression is not inherant to any one breed. If you are going to use the AK47 analogy, fine, but it needs to be applied to all dog breeds and, in fact, all domesticated animals.

If you think that an aggressive Pitbull is more dangerous than an aggressive Chihuahua, you are just plain naive. In fact, they are more dangerous b/c people aren't afraid of them and think that such a small dog cannot hurt them.

And don't even get me started on cats, horses, rabbits and the host of other animals that are far more dangerous than a Pit but that do not get nearly as bad a rap. Any animal that is not properly handled or cared for, or that is trained to be aggressive, can be dangerous. I've spent enough time around animals to know. In fact, I am far more afraid of Chihuahas (and horses) than I am of Pitbulls.

However, if you want to cross the street when you see a Pitbull, then that's your prerogative. Just don't come crying when that nice little Chihuahua that you don't cross the street for mauls your face when you stoop down to pet him. And the irony is that, if a Pitbull were present when it happened, that would be the dog that would save you from your attacker.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM
 
603 posts, read 1,756,279 times
Reputation: 544
Im not even getting into this debate,im so sick of having it.People are just too ignorant.When we get new dogs in at the shelter as strays,i'd definately go into a cage with a pitbull I don't know rather than a random other breed.Pits are almost always human friendly.It's very rare that we get them in and they have aggression towards humans,even the most abused and neglected ones still love people.In fact,I'm suprised we don't get in many aggressive pitbulls.SO many are owned by scumbags who abuse them,you would think the dogs would hate humans,but nope,its the opposite.Hey if anyones interested,I just started selling the special keys to unlock their jaws when they get angry.If you're interested send me a PM.




Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top