U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,824,235 times
Reputation: 9586

Advertisements

cant rep ya yet starla but *thumbs up*

 
Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 PM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,246,556 times
Reputation: 9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Im not even getting into this debate,im so sick of having it.People are just too ignorant.When we get new dogs in at the shelter as strays,i'd definately go into a cage with a pitbull I don't know rather than a random other breed.Pits are almost always human friendly.It's very rare that we get them in and they have aggression towards humans,even the most abused and neglected ones still love people.In fact,I'm suprised we don't get in many aggressive pitbulls.SO many are owned by scumbags who abuse them,you would think the dogs would hate humans,but nope,its the opposite.Hey if anyones interested,I just started selling the special keys to unlock their jaws when they get angry.If you're interested send me a PM.
This is so true. I've seen pit bulls come in horribly emaciated, some abused, rope burn on the neck, one with skin burned from motor oil, terrible things. And they lick your face, thump their tail on the floor and take a treat more gently than some people's pampered pooches. How many people would act like that after a lifetime of abuse?

Last edited by Keeper; 08-13-2011 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: fixed quote
 
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,229 posts, read 5,697,812 times
Reputation: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post





Your right, people that don't care for pit bulls are far more in the dark ages than socially advanced pit bull lovers like Vaughan.........
The pit bull is part of my family and my family is the most important thing in the world. I'll do what needs to be done to protect all of them.

That, Mr. Everest, is a fact.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
 
603 posts, read 1,756,928 times
Reputation: 544
We have mostly pitbull breeds at my job,after being around these dogs so much and adopting my two pitties,i'd never adopt anything else.I've never had a dog who was so easily trained,mine were pretty much housebroken at 10 weeks,learned commands and tricks crazy fast,they are so eager to please their humans,more pitbulls should be used as service dogs.I've never encountered a breed that was more loving towards humans,yes animal aggression is very likely in this breed,but animal aggression is not the same as human aggression.The pits are always the dogs who are SO happy to see me each morning.I've never seen dogs wag their tail as hard as a pitbull does.Never met another breed who is so affectionate and entertaining.My guys are SO smart but yet they're so goofy at the same time.They constantly make me laugh and constantly suprise me more and more every day.There have been hundreds come into my job looking like hell,I mean they're basically a walking skeleton.Covered in scars,sagging nipples,used as a breeding machine.I've seen hundreds that close their eyes and drop to the floor when you make a loud noise.But yet,if I go in the cage and sit with that dog,he crawls into my lap and kisses me cheek.Pitbulls are the most loyal,loving and forgiving breed of dog.Hands down.It's a shame,all you ignorant people have no idea what your missing.All of those news stories ALWAYS involve gangs,drugs,illegal activities,weapons====crime.And you never hear the whole story.Dogs don't just 'turn'.There are ALWAYS warning signs with behavioral problems(that will occur with ANY breed of dog if you dont train it and show leadership).You don't hear about responsible pitbull owners being mauled by their dog.This is an extrememly loyal breed.Human aggression was NEVER a trait of this breed.There are SO many positive pitbull stories everyday,the news just doesn't broadcast it because people don't want to hear about the pitbull who saved his family.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:09 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 2,690,245 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

If you think that an aggressive Pitbull is more dangerous than an aggressive Chihuahua, you are just plain naive. In fact, they are more dangerous b/c people aren't afraid of them and think that such a small dog cannot hurt them.
This is why you can't have a logical conversation in the Dog forum ^^ When you say things like that, you can't be taken seriously.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 20,824,235 times
Reputation: 9586
cant rep you again yet dog crazy, but thank you for sharing that!

if only humans could be as forgiving and loving as these dogs can be.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
4,584 posts, read 5,021,791 times
Reputation: 4346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
1885, take it easy, not everyone that doesn't trust pit bulls is ignorant. Just agree to disagree. I've seen pit bulls do damage with my own eyes, I've been around many pit bulls. I don't trust them. Now, I don't trust any strange dog, but I'd be lying if I said a pit bull didn't make me more alert. Don't tell people they are ignorant or misinformed, throw some random stats out there and try to convince someone that pit bulls are angels with 4 legs. For every fun loving picture of someone taking a picture with there pit and 6 month old, or cat, there is a pit with a Pug in his mouth.

It's amazing how some people think all dogs are created equal. These dogs were bred to fight bears and bulls. Beagles were bred to hunt rabbits. Don't tell me a Beagle is as likely to kill some as a Pit Bull, because thinking like that IS ignorant.
So I have scares on my face from a beagle. Two years old, standing next to my mother as she talked to our neighbor. Dog ripped my lip open and multiple slashes in my cheek. People actually think I have a "hairlip". Do I think all beagles are viscous??? No. They are dogs. All....and I mean ALL dogs can harm. DUH...they are animals with teeth. I am soooooo tired of this pitbull crap. No I don't own a pitbull. I have a lab. Do I think my lab could hurt someone........yes, I know she could. She is an animal with teeth.

Yes I am a responsible dog owner. She is socialized, trained, and supervised. I really wish people could get over this breed issue. They are ALL capable of doing damage. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

Done....night folks. Ya'll carry on. I will not open another thread that is about this subject.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,029,647 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL...I think THE OWNERS know the breed of their own dog. And they tell us...wow...connect the dots, lady.

I have nothing against pit bulls (and some bully breeds are my favorite!), but you are so worked up frothing at the mouth, one can't help but wonder where this comes from.

I am totally against breed bans. I think anything a dog does wrong is always 100% the owner's fault.

And you have no effin' clue what my experience, knowledge level, and 'dog intelligence' is. So stop freaking out at someone who actually agrees with you...geez, with reactions and rudeness like this, is it any wonder you feel like the world is out to get you, my pretty...and your little dog!?
Ok, so the only bites you've ever seen are from owners bitten by their own dogs? Never seen a dog bite from a dog running at large? Wow, you must live in a very unique area then, because seldom do we see dog bites from dogs owned by the people that are bitten. The very vast majority of the ones we see are dogs running at large. My friend was just bitten by one. She called to let me know and said she thinks it's a black and white pitbull. It was a border collie! Nothing even close! Of the bites we've had here recently I can't even think of ONE in the last five years that was from a pet in the family of the person that was bitten.

So, let's assume the only dogs biting in your town are biting their own family. So that means only the pitbulls in your town are biting people? No other breeds biting people? Or just small dogs doing little damage and pitbulls just happen to be the only dog over 10 pounds that are biting? Because studies have shown that pitties don't even have the strongest bite of breeds, so you can't say that a pittie will do more damage than any other breed. They've also shown there are many other breeds that are more likely to bite than a pittie. Including large and medium size breed dogs.

But in your area ONLY pitbulls bite and cause damage and they ONLY bite their family members.

Moving on...............

First of all, you don't agree with me on many points. In the post above for instance, I DO NOT think that 100% of the things a dog does wrong is the fault of the human. It's a fact that some dogs just have something 'wrong' in their brain. Like humans. They attack, go red line, and there's nothing that can be done. Sure, you can take them from a bad situation, keep them in a totally controlled environment with someone with a tremendous amount of experience and education on dog training and there may not be another bite. But that's like saying a human who's natural instinct is to take advantage of others by any means possible, including violence, is no danger if they're kept locked up and confined. Given a chance, they'd still 'bite'. They're not safe, they're just confined. There's a difference. Now, I think there is a very small percentage of dog and humans alike that fall into this category and in *most* cases, yes, a human is at fault. But I don't believe in blanket statements, especially not that one.

As for what I take as your 'experience, knowledge level, and 'dog intelligence', you are the one that noted that you 'love all dogs and even volunteered at the shelter and have helped socialize pits' and are 'someone who sews up dog bites for a living' and you yourself stated 'I think I do have an 'educated' perspective' based on that. I didn't see any other post from you mentioning any specific time or training you've had with dogs. Or did I miss that?

Personally, I don't feel the world is out to get me at all. My dog breed of choice, yes, I do feel a large part of the population of this country is out to get them. Anyone that doesn't see that doesn't have their eyes open. I've been speaking at county and town meetings against BSL for years now. I'm VERY aware of the fact that many places want this breed dead forever. So THAT is what has me frothing at the mouth. If you supposedly like some of the bully breeds and you're not aware of what's going on, you're totally out of touch with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here's the thing...MOST people don't train their dogs. Most of them get away with it because they have dogs with nice enough dispositions. Many of them think that finding poop and peep in your house is normal. No basic commands. No recall.

Why am I supposed to think that people with bully breeds are going to be any different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, as someone who sews up dog bites for a living, I think I do have an 'educated' perspective. What it sounds like you have is some emotional bleeding heart perspective. I don't have any skin in the game. I love all dogs and even volunteered at the shelter and have helped socialize pits.

And my only point is that people keep saying, "Well, if you train them..." Well, hardly anyone trains their dogs, PERIOD. So that's a giant IF right there.
As for most people don't train their dogs, that's really dependent on what your definition of 'training' is, don't you think? I think most pet owners are aware and capable of the basics - housebreaking, basic obedience, etc. But are 'most' pet owners even intermediate level at training in obedience or even a started level of other types of training? No. But I don't think most dogs need anything more than the basic training that most people do. So I don't see that as a problem. So, given that most pet owners are able to train to an acceptable level their average pet, it's not an issue. I also very highly doubt that *many* people think finding urine and fecal matter from their pet in their home is normal or acceptable.

Again your statement 'as someone who sews up dog bites for a living, I think I do have an 'educated' perspective' makes as much sense as me saying that because I know how to put a band-aid on my kids and give them cough syrup I'm a doctor, or even a nurse. Or that I even have any remote knowledge of what those careers entail. I couldn't last a day in a hospital and I know it. So just because you sew up humans, you do not, in my opinion, have a vast wealth of information on dogs or their behavior.

People do not ONLY say 'if you train them right'. If you talk to anyone that's against BSL and is highly active in getting it outlawed, you'll find it's much more than training a dog. Statistically the dogs most likely to bite are un-neutered males either left to roam at large or chained all their life. It's more than just 'training' them, though yes, that certainly plays a part in it. Those statistics are also seen across all breed lines, and are not limited to any of the pit or bully breeds by any means.

There are so many errors in the bite statistics that it's impossible to really know what breed of dog bites more than others. For instance, a lab / pit mix - what breed of dog gets the strike for that bite? And what about the young dogs that get carried away playing and accidentally bite a child? That counts as a bite even though there was no aggression involved. What about so many of the bites that occur from dogs the victim doesn't know and can't accurately identify a breed for? Most of the time they'll call them a pitbull to authorities, like my friend did.

I'm glad you like bully breeds. I'm glad you don't approve of BSL. But please don't think we agree on these points, because we don't. And yes, I do have a reason to have my panties in a knot, given the fact that tens of thousands of these dogs die in shelters every year, and many of them die only because of the breed that's listed on their shelter card. As far as I'm concerned, that's out and out prejudice and I have a major problem with it.
 
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,601,390 times
Reputation: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
This is why you can't have a logical conversation in the Dog forum ^^ When you say things like that, you can't be taken seriously.
Okay, now you're just being disrespectful. I can easily say the same about your comments re: stereotypes but, instead, I defend my rationale with a logical argument, something that you apparently can't come up with That's what I thought.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 2,690,245 times
Reputation: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Okay, now you're just being disrespectful. I can easily say the same about your comments re: stereotypes but, instead, I defend my rationale with a logical argument, something that you apparently can't come up with That's what I thought.
Lol, I think Dogs are great, that's why I visit the Dog forum. But after you say a chihuahua is more dangerous than a pit bull, you lose ability to use the words logical and rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top