Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:11 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Chiroptera, that is also a really great post. Too bad so many people just have their minds made up, and won't listen. All we can hope for is that a few do listen.
It's sad, isn't it? No matter how overwhelming the evidence, people will still believe what they want. How quickly people forget that Pete the Pup in Little Rascals was a pit bull.

Why would Hal Roach have child actors work with a "dangerous" and "vicious" dog?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
LOL haven't you heard....Dobes' skulls are so narrow that their brains outgrow their skulls and they go insane and turn on people...(that is a JOKE but based on what some people actually believe.)

I agree with Cav that pibbles are a really versatile type of dog! The same can't be said for many other breed/types.
I think that those are the same people who reasoned that they were destined for and deserving of world domination b/c of the shape and size of their skulls Not coincidentally, those same people also happened to do some horrible things to those that they considered inherently deficient.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I think that those are the same people who reasoned that they were destined for and deserving of world domination b/c of the shape and size of their skulls Not coincidentally, those same people also happened to do some horrible things to those that they considered inherently deficient.

Indeed

(Hey, we just invoked Godwin's Law!)

Actually, a properly-bred pit or fighting dog is quite subservient to humans, because they had to be tractable in the ring. An APBT that's aggressive towards people has an incorrect temperament so anyone keeping them as "guard dogs" or expecting them to be good guard/watch dogs is clueless about the breed and breeding APBTs with people-aggressive tendencies is irresponsible and poor breeding.

Pit bulls are not recognised by AKC and many people consider the American Pit Bull Terrier a type, not a breed. However, UKC - a very reputable registry - does recognise them. In particular, read the "characterizations" section.
American Pit Bull Terrier Network

Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
This is a good read too:

American Pit Bull Terrier Network Temperament

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

Indeed

(Hey, we just invoked Godwin's Law!)

Actually, a properly-bred pit or fighting dog is quite subservient to humans, because they had to be tractable in the ring. An APBT that's aggressive towards people has an incorrect temperament so anyone keeping them as "guard dogs" or expecting them to be good guard/watch dogs is clueless about the breed and breeding APBTs with people-aggressive tendencies is irresponsible and poor breeding.

Pit bulls are not recognised by AKC and many people consider the American Pit Bull Terrier a type, not a breed. However, UKC - a very reputable registry - does recognise them. In particular, read the "characterizations" section.
American Pit Bull Terrier Network
Not sure that I would agree about Godwin's Law b/c I think that the comparison is apt rather than hyperbolic: I always find it disturbing when people villify animal breeds just as they villify races of people (and the Nazis don't have a purview on that), but the fact that people would actually discriminate against a dog b/c of the shape of its head?! That's just eerily similar to the Nazis. The irony is that Hitler was an animal welfare advocate

However, whether the aforementioned organizations consider the Pitbull an actual "breed" is neither here nor there: they only need to be considered as belonging to a breed by the people who discriminate against and abuse them. And nowadays, a dog only has to look like a Pittie for people to discriminate against him/her.

Last edited by StarlaJane; 08-09-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM

86 posts, read 306,832 times
I can't actually believe some of the comments on the American Pitbull Terrier Video from Dogs 101. They are racist especially against the dogs. Calling these dogs Ghetto is not cool. I don't think Petey from the Little Rascals came from any Ghetto.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:55 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Vancouver is loaded with pit bulls; Victoria, not so much. But I always look at the owner first. And I don't usually get a good feeling.........about the owner.

now I just have to worry about being slobbered to death by Golden Retrievers and Black Labs.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Default Pit Bull Blues Video by John Shipe

I've posted this video on similar pit bull discussion threads in this forum, so here it is. I think it says it all. Enjoy!

‪Pit Bull Blues by John Shipe‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times
We've had quite a few dog fights at the shelter.Some have happened while doing 'meet and greets' others happened because two dogs are in the same cage,which is something we do if the dogs came in together,or they're repeat 'offenders' and we know they live together,and to save cage space.We try not to double up the larger breeds and pits just because it's not worth them fighting and severely injuring each other.I just have to say this,pitbulls are the only dogs i'd feel comfortable with sticking my hands in between to break up a fight.Yeah it's not the smartest thing to do but you don't think clearly when a fight breaks up,you're just more concerned about stopping it.Pits usually will not redirect and bite you.As sick as it is,that's what the dogfighters do...they HAVE to be able to handle their dog as it's ripping the other dog apart.

I've had dog fights in my house a few times( I have a lot of dogs!)its expected from time to time,and honestly for the amount of animals I own I think we do pretty goood!As long as I'm on top of them I can prevent fights.My chihuahuas have done more damage to each other than one of my pits and my border collie(they bicker from time to time,mainly over my attention).My one chihuahua actually punctured my very old 'antique' chihuahuas eye,had to rush her to the vet as she was bleeding profusely from her eye.

Bottom line is,pits are great with humans.They are so ridiculously loyal and will do anything for their master.We NEED to create stronger laws,thats the only way to stop the massive pitbull overpopulation/breeding/fighting.As i've said before in other threads,most of the 'people' who claim their dogs at my job,they're dirtbags,plain and simple.If it was up to me I wouldn't give them a hermit crab to care for.They always make sure to bring the dog's chain with them.It's a terrible feeling knowing we have to,by law,give the dog back to these idiots.We all KNOW what that dogs in for.And its 'people' like that who ruin the breed.Makes me sick to my stomach.I tell my 3 pits all the time 'you're so lucky'.Mine get dressed up all the time,I paint their nails (YES I am one of 'those' owners haha)I bake cookies for them,they have tons of collars and accessories,I take thousands of pictures and videos of them,and of course they sleep right next to me every night,they're my life basically.They're well trained with commands and cute tricks.They must sit and be patient before they recieve any treat or toy.They know who the leader is.As long as I give them a little exercise everyday they're total couch potatoes.Im sorry im rambling but this is a very touchy subject for me.I am very passionate about this breed and will always do my best to educate people.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
a dog, horse, whatever, is still an animal...an animal...and one can never ever predict what an animal is going to do. I was raised on a farm...had dogs, horses, and cows and bulls all my life....my uncle trained and showed horses professionally, my other uncle gave riding lessons...

I love animals, and have a rescue right now, I raised and trained dobermans...had begals, a coonhound, and labs...but they were still animals....and you can never ever predict what they are going to do.

My cousin used to walk into my home, when were were not home with my dobies...she used to bring us stuff from the Italian store she worked at and put it right in my frig...however, if she'd have gotten bit, it would have been her fault, not ours or the dogs.

Today, a lot of people get dogs and have no clue how to raise them...to train them, to get them into puppy kindergarden and work them every single day...and that still doesn't say they'll never bite...

When I was younger, I to, used to say the same thing about my dobies, they would never bite, least of all a kid, until one of them did pinch a kid's butt...once...maybe she didn't like the kid, or the way the kid smelled, maybe the kid teased her once, but that still doesn't cut it, the dog bit the kid...and I'm not going to make excuses for the dog...or anyone else's dog.

I have a neighbor, whom I complained about before on here.. who rescued a cute little mutt, however, she allows that dog to do anything she wants...to the point that if I'm out in the yard painting, she thinks I have to put my brush down if she walks by and go over and pet the dog, b/c her dog wants to see me. True the dog loves me, more then most, but it's b/c I don't give her, her way...and if I walk up to that dogs owner and do not pay her any attention, she growls at me and nips at me, and the owner doesn't have a clue, she even said once, "she must have gotten to much sleep last night?" Always making excuses for the dog, when in fact, it is her fault the dog is like this...there is no structure, and the dog goes freakin balistic when it sees another dog, it actually red zones...and is saying, "come on, lets fight". But several people on here told me, it's her dog, and it's none of my business....however, when it effects my life and my walks with my dog in a negative way, then it becomes my business...if my dog is on the porch with me, and she walks by, her dog goes absolutely balistic, to the point that I put my dog inside to avoid the noise for others...but she doesn't correct her dog, plus her son comes over every night who is an adult and teases the heck out of her...so what to you have, a dog who is some day going to bite someone.

My point is....no matter what breed your dog is, it is not a human being, it is in fact an animal, and if you've got a bunch of kids around, the right thing to do, would be to keep the dog from the kids...b/c what if one of those kids teases the dog or accidently steps on the dog and the dog bites...to me, it just isn't worth the chance, plus getting sued...things happen in an instant, and in one single instant, your whole life could change forever...if your dog bit someone....so, regardless, I'd say, be cautious...especially with someone else's kids.

Ceasar doesn't know if his dogs would bite someone, yanno?

My cousin was visiting someone she knew for years, they were having coffee at the kitchen table...my cousin knew they're dog, it was a shepard, very lovable, but for some reason one day, they were sitting at the table having a conversation and the dog came over and bit her, for no reason, and she had to have stitches...and you can say, well, maybe she moved a certain way that scared the dog, maybe she stepped on the dog, maybe this or that, but the point is the dog bit her regardless, and ever since then, she is afraid of dogs. I don't blame her...you cannot predict what your dog is going to do...it's an animal, and it's wise to remember that...

these are merely my thoughts, and how I feel, to me, it's easier to be safe then sorry, especially when you are overseeing the kids of others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs