Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,235,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, fortunately, the law says differently (this excerpt is from the same article):

In 2010, 2-year-old Jacob Bisbee was attacked by three dogs in his step-grandfather's Concord garage. The owner, Steven Hayashi, has since been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Also:

Articles.orlandosentinel.com: Golden Retriever

"Family finds few answers after tragic dog : Rottweiler

"Family dog that killed 2-year-old boy is put down". The News-Press (Fort Myers, FL).: Weimeraner

"Ida Grove woman dies from dog bite". Sioux :German Shepherd

"Examiner: Dogs killed man".: Blue Heeler/Australian Shepherd mix

"71-pound dog bites, kills newborn in Independence".: Siberian Husky

The list goes on and on. Furthermore, for every "killer" Pitbull, there are about 20 stories about Pits who are loving and loyal pets. The aforementioned stories prove that ANY dog can be dangerous.
So you can live with one fatality if there are 20 good stories?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 AM

880 posts, read 1,799,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Well, fortunately, the law says differently (this excerpt is from the same article):

In 2010, 2-year-old Jacob Bisbee was attacked by three dogs in his step-grandfather's Concord garage. The owner, Steven Hayashi, has since been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Also:

Articles.orlandosentinel.com: Golden Retriever

"Family finds few answers after tragic dog : Rottweiler

"Family dog that killed 2-year-old boy is put down". The News-Press (Fort Myers, FL).: Weimeraner

"Ida Grove woman dies from dog bite". Sioux :German Shepherd

"Examiner: Dogs killed man".: Blue Heeler/Australian Shepherd mix

"71-pound dog bites, kills newborn in Independence".: Siberian Husky

The list goes on and on. Furthermore, for every "killer" Pitbull, there are about 20 stories about Pits who are loving and loyal pets. The aforementioned stories prove that ANY dog can be dangerous.
That list is pretty weak, first the article about the labrador was dated from 1988, guess you had to look back 20+ years to find that one...lol!

The article on the shepard says it bit a 79 year old and she wasn't able to stop the bleeding, older people have thin skin and get cut easy, she bleed to death from a puncture wound she wasn't mauled.

Another article you posted a guy was killed by being attacked by 3 different dogs at once.

The fact is I could easily dig up thousands of articles on pit bulls and you know it.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 AM

38,845 posts, read 22,835,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Im not even getting into this debate,im so sick of having it.People are just too ignorant.When we get new dogs in at the shelter as strays,i'd definately go into a cage with a pitbull I don't know rather than a random other breed.Pits are almost always human friendly.It's very rare that we get them in and they have aggression towards humans,even the most abused and neglected ones still love people.In fact,I'm suprised we don't get in many aggressive pitbulls.SO many are owned by scumbags who abuse them,you would think the dogs would hate humans,but nope,its the opposite.Hey if anyones interested,I just started selling the special keys to unlock their jaws when they get angry.If you're interested send me a PM.

You and me both. I'm not even going to read this thread anymore because all the pit bull haters continue to spew their ignorant vitriol in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. Wish I could rep you again but I need to spread a little more around first.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 AM

831 posts, read 1,963,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
So you can live with one fatality if there are 20 good stories?

Wow I think now I'm going to go Google how people kill people and see if I can stretch THAT comparison to its breaking point.

AWESOME.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
If my dog attacks my kid seriously, he's gone, no matter the reason.
Then by all means please refrain from keeping any pets since a home with you is nothing but a problem you're expecting to happen. I do enjoy the overprotective parent routine though, it gets me every time. The whole "responding to an animal by acting like one makes me look like a fantastic parent" thing.

When I stepped on my dog's tail as a kid and the dog jumped up and snapped at me the first thing my parents would ask is "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT DOG?"

That did not indicate that my parents loved the dog more or they weren't concerned for my well-being. The end result of that conversation was "LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING, CHILD!" not the neo-parenting tool of 'lookout world, my child is on the loose and everyone *ELSE* beware!!!' Followed up with death threats to all - other people, dogs, trees...

Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,926,507 times
I just don't understand the mentality of people who would want to own dogs that have such a bad reputation that they are actually banned from certain countries. These dogs have a reputation of being, at the very least, intimidating. Again, you have to question why someone would want to own a dog with that reputation to begin with. There's a reason why these dogs and not, say golden retrievers, are used in dog fighting.

The US Gov Centers for Diseases Control put out a report (tough read and you need to read it in it's entirety) that clearly shows breed specific bites and fatalities. Pitbulls aren't a recognized breed so there's some trouble in identifying them, but they and rottweilers are responsible for 67% of deaths; however, they do not account for anywhere near 67% of the entire dog population. Clearly, there is an issue with these breeds. I don't care how good an owner you think you are, you'll never convince me that you can overcome whatever genetic issues are going on with this breed.

Here's a link to the study http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Default Could it be because...

...some people would just rather try to help than contribute to the negative flap? The same reason that people insist on helping troubled teens who society may think are a lost cause. I can take the word 'dogs' out of your statement and insert 'teens' or any other blighted group du jour and it all sounds the same to me.

Because wanting to help is more noble than wanting to intentionally hurt?

Dunno.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,217,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And my cousins own little yorkies. Nasty things. One was ill and the other took over as leader. When the older one returned, the younger one bit my uncle, my aunt, my one cousin, and finally the other dog - all in the same day. It is not the dog's fault. It is my cousin's fault. She still has not stepped up to be the leader and the dogs are fighting over primary spot. Do not blame the dogs.

Oh heck, a cat can do horrendous damage with its claws and teeth. Mine don't even let their claws out around me (except for doing the "mommy-thing"). So I assume you (Crunchman) want to see cats declawed also.

Do us a favor and do not ever get a pet - not even a bird - you'd probably de-beak it or file it down.
The bolded seems unfair to me. I would not own a pitbull, but am emphatically anti declawing, tail docking, ear trimming or pretty much any other procedure which causes an animal unecessary pain.

I do agree on the yorkies though, I think with the vast majority of dogs (including Pitbulls) it's the owners fault when something goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I just don't understand the mentality of people who would want to own dogs that have such a bad reputation that they are actually banned from certain countries. These dogs have a reputation of being, at the very least, intimidating. Again, you have to question why someone would want to own a dog with that reputation to begin with. There's a reason why these dogs and not, say golden retrievers, are used in dog fighting.

The US Gov Centers for Diseases Control put out a report (tough read and you need to read it in it's entirety) that clearly shows breed specific bites and fatalities. Pitbulls aren't a recognized breed so there's some trouble in identifying them, but they and rottweilers are responsible for 67% of deaths; however, they do not account for anywhere near 67% of the entire dog population. Clearly, there is an issue with these breeds. I don't care how good an owner you think you are, you'll never convince me that you can overcome whatever genetic issues are going on with this breed.

Here's a link to the study http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf
I find this somewhat confusing also. There are breeds which are known to be more dangerous than others and I don't really understand the insistance on owning one of the more difficult breeds.

I don't necessarily think that Pitbulls are any more aggressive than any other dog, and perhaps a lot less so than others. I actually think small dogs are more likely to be biters than Pitbulls - probably because people think that bad behavior is 'cute'.... up until they start snapping and even that can be thought of as funny. I absolutely hate this attitude and think it sets the animal up for failure.

I think the big problem with Pitbulls is not that they are more aggressive than many other dog breeds, but that when they do attack they can do very serious damage or even kill you. A yorkie on the ramapage is horrible, but unlikely to kill or maim someone. I think that's the biggest difference.

It's sad because I think Pitbulls can be great dogs, but I would just prefer to get a breed with less potential for serious problems.

I do think that a lot of people who own Pitbulls now have rescued them and I think that is absolutely admirable. It's just not for me.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,399,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

Well crap countries have banned countless things, just because somebody (some country does it) does not mean its the right or sensible thing to do. The Netherlands banned Pitbull type dogs and their dog bite stats never went down like they just *knew* it would. The parts of the UK that banned Pits never saw a change in dog bites, Denver hasnt seen a change either. Seems to be a weird coincidence right there .....

So the CDC compiled statistics going back as far as when dog bites were not recorded properly. Thats going to be a comforting read. Even today AC does not keep an accurate but people still love to build facts out of thin air to prove a point.

What genetic issues with the dog ? Do you know anything about the breed at all ? There is a huge difference in what they were bread to do and what backyard breeders and irresponsible dog owners do.

The coolest thing about a Pitbull bite has to be the mixed breed. PitLab x bites and everybody goes "ZOMG BAN TEH PITS!!!!11!1!!". Kind of lovely that not many people think that a mixed breed bit a person and ask themselves what were the circumstances around the bite.

Anyway, ignorance is bliss I guess. Look forward to seeing yet another thread locked.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM

5,001 posts, read 10,678,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
That list is pretty weak, first the article about the labrador was dated from 1988, guess you had to look back 20+ years to find that one...lol!

The article on the shepard says it bit a 79 year old and she wasn't able to stop the bleeding, older people have thin skin and get cut easy, she bleed to death from a puncture wound she wasn't mauled.

Another article you posted a guy was killed by being attacked by 3 different dogs at once.

The fact is I could easily dig up thousands of articles on pit bulls and you know it.
This is precisely my point, which you seem to be consistently missing. While a Pitbull is certainly a dangerous animal, there are many, many stories about other dog breeds that have also caused fatal injuries to their owners. I will reiterate: ANY dog, regardless of breed, can be dangerous.

Moreover, it is strange that you would try to assert that the fatalities that I cited are somehow different or not as valid as a fatality caused by a Pitbull?! How long ago something happened doesn't really matter, it matters that it happened, that Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Huskies, etc. can and have killed people the same as Pitbulls. Are you honestly trying to say that there's a difference in being killed by a Pitbull versus a Rottweiler? Funny, but I don't think the people who were killed by their own pets would agree with you.

And for every article that you can dig up about a Pit killing someone, I can pull up an article about a dog of a different breed killing someone, as well as articles about horses, deer, rabbits, cats and a host of other animals who are not nearly as villified as Pitbulls but who nevertheless cause just as much injury, if not more.

The idea that a Pitbull is somehow more dangerous than these animals is not only naive but indicates that the person believing such nonsense has very little experience with animals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.