U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 05:47 AM

6,148 posts, read 12,543,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
This post is a little old, from last month, but will reply anyway.

I have three female fawn pugs who are 8, 7, and 6 and I think they are the best dogs ever. However, like anything else, owning a pug (or any other breed of dog) may not be for everyone.

Pugs shed a lot and I vacuum almost daily. Keeping their faces/wrinkles clean is very important. None of my pugs like to have their claws clipped and will try to fight it. They can be very stubborn and VERY hyper, especially the first few years. I've only had one of my pugs since she was a puppy (the 7yo); the 8 and 6 year olds are rescue pugs. Mine tend to need a lot of attention and want to be wherever we are - of course, that's not a negative for us but some people may want a more independent dog.

On the positive side, they are very loving and affectionate and have a TON of personality, real characters. Only my 7yo pug has been around a cat (we used to have a siamese cat) and the cat (a boy) was always very good with her. He never attempted to bat at her eye area with his claws or anything like that. Sadly, our cat passed away a few years back and we only have dogs now. I would love to have another cat but he/she would have to be just like our siamese was for me to even consider.

I also had a very easy time house training our first pug. They all go outside to use the bathroom but are all puppy pad trained in case we plan to be gone longer than a normal work day. We have never left them alone overnight and I don't think they'd be happy if we did. Our dogs are pretty spoiled.
They aren't spoiled, they are loved! You home sounds like a wonderful place to be a pug!

(I'm sorry for your loss of your kitty)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,078,464 times
I have met some Pugs before, and they are very nice dogs, but one that I would probably never own. I don't think they are cute or attractive (some dogs are just not "cute" to me!) and all the ones I've met are always snorting, their breathing is labored, they reverse sneeze a lot. Also, I'm a huge fan of large dogs. So maybe that's why I'm not a fan of pugs.

The dog we have now is a mutt-he's a mix of a boxer and a beagle, and HE can get ugly sometimes, what with his extreme boxer-like underbite, and his ear that always gets turned up, hahahah! He's a great dog sometimes but he's the smallest dog I'd ever go (I compromised with my husband) and he weighs about 30 lbs. I just don't want to have a small dog. Sure, some pugs and small dogs can be cute, but just not for me.

There is a pug that lives 3 houses down from me, whenever I'm walking our dog we always stop by and say hi to him, his name is Mr. T and he's all black. He sure is tuff for a little pug! LOL. He's very nice when you come up to him, but boy he's ruff and tuff barking when he sees you from afar. What a silly guy

Wow, I sure went on a tangent.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 AM

663 posts, read 938,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
They aren't spoiled, they are loved! You home sounds like a wonderful place to be a pug!

(I'm sorry for your loss of your kitty)
Thanks! They seem to like it! We still miss our cat, he was definitely a great family member.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,303,083 times
I've never met a pug I didn't like, every one has had such a wonderful personality! Ranging from extremely laid back, to energetic and goofy.

I'm not a fan of brachycephalic dogs from a purely aesthetic viewpoint so would probably never intentionally go looking for one. PurePug, sorry about your cat - I have cats too and that's another reason I'd be nervous about owning a flat-faced breed with vulnerable eyes.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,566,766 times
Our rescue pug, Mack, was wonderful! We adopted him when he was 4 years old. He fit right in when we brought him home. He ignored our 3 cats completely. We went on daily walks, which was important because pugs do tend to become overweight easily. He did shed a lot, but it wasn't as bad as many other breeds. Mack died last year and we still miss him terribly. We recently adopted a rescue pug/boston terrier mix and she is great too!

Old 09-18-2011, 11:55 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
I like Pugs, but would never want one. Too much snoring and farting. Worse than having a man around!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 AM

6,148 posts, read 12,543,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Our rescue pug, Mack, was wonderful! We adopted him when he was 4 years old. He fit right in when we brought him home. He ignored our 3 cats completely. We went on daily walks, which was important because pugs do tend to become overweight easily. He did shed a lot, but it wasn't as bad as many other breeds. Mack died last year and we still miss him terribly. We recently adopted a rescue pug/boston terrier mix and she is great too!
I'm so sorry for your loss, but congratulations on your new family member!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,566,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss, but congratulations on your new family member!
Thanks so much!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM

30,210 posts, read 16,745,355 times
My sister has two male senior fawn pugs, and they are a father and son. The father, Buster, is 13 years old and the son, Bandit, is 12. Being that they're older, they really don't do very much apart from staying inside their little dog igloo in the side patio. Also, due to their age, their faces have gone gray.

I've had the privilege and joy of dogsitting my sister's dogs (all 5 of them), most recently at the end of June this year when my sister and family were out of town. The pugs DO shed a lot of hair. Even though the pugs are older and don't have very much energy anymore, they're still a lot of fun to be around. When they were younger, they were such clowns--a never-ending source of entertainment as well as companionship.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,186,613 times
I have 3 pugs Roscoe is 8 we adopted him Daisy is 4 and Miss Lilly is 18 months.
Until we adopted Roscoe we had always had Boxers Pugs are just as much fun but dont need as much exercise. They are great on trips we have driven from Texas to Virginia and they are no problem.
They love everybody even our 4 year old Grandson !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs