U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,043,474 times

Advertisements

I've noticed my Yorkshire Terrier has areas on his bottom of the paws that are cracked. Is this normal for a dog~? It doesn't seem to bother him, but it bothers me. They feel rough too. What can I put on them to help~? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
My dog has these, too. I never thought to look at her pawpads closely as a pup; I seem to remember them always being that way as well as with other dogs that I have cared for. I have never "treated" them b/c I think it's normal.

Look at your own feet, I bet their cracked, especially around the heal, and rough, no matter how much lotion you put on them. I think that's just the nature of feet. Except for cats. For whatever reason, cats seem to have the smoothest pawpads, even the ones that go outside.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,039,526 times
Default Cracked feet...

For humans: Olive Oil works wonders! Use it each night before bed and put on a clean pair of socks (to keep the oil off your sheets). Actually, you can use it after you shower for a great moisturizer.)

For your dogs pawpads: Utterly Smooth Udder Cteam, you can pick it up at Wal-Mart, get the cream and not the lotion. You can pick it up in the lotion section or even foot care section (pharamacy). Rub it in well (massage it in) and it will help the cracks in your dogs paws. (You can also use it for yourself on any dry skin (feet) you may have.)

Yes, it is used on exactly what it is named for...utters on a cow. Thue wash and clean the utters then put the cream on them. It helps to keep the skin soft and supple. Because of milking (sometimes twice a day, they dry out and crack.)

Hope that helps!

Luv-A-Bull.Denver

"From wet noses to wiggley butts, our dogs are not just pet, they are family!" ~Cuz of the Dog

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,194,296 times
I also have a cream [can't recall name of it off-hand] that I will apply and massage into my pet's paws when I notice them getting a bit dry and rough.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,310,800 times
Bag Balm is a great product. I've used it for years.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,286,822 times
Ditto on the BagBalm. I live in Montana and we ride our horses into the backcountry quite a bit. Our dogs would die if they didn't get to go. We sometimes ride up to 18 miles in a day with numerous stops to rest all animals and give them a water break. The dogs, just like the horses need constant care given to their feet. They always get cracks and sometimes sore on a trip. I bring the BagBalm and rub it into their paws. They not only love the little massage on the trail but it helps with soreness and cracks.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,828,582 times
Bag Balm is great. But, I have also used Aquaphor on the dogs paws with success. We never had an issue until we moved to Northern Virginia. But, we just applied either of those and covered their paws with socks (which was quite comical) to get it to soak in.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
i use bag balm or cain and able paw rub (the latter is expensive but i get freebies once in a while and its wonderfull, i even use it on my lips in the winter )

but bag balm is wonderfull.

like people feet being exposed to the elements, hot asphalt, rocks, dirt, sand, salt, getting wet then drying repetitivly through the day, they get dry and cracked...
while its normal for a dogs pads ot be rough, those cracks, like your own hands and feet, can become deep and sore. personally I do bag balm (or rub) 3 times a week during most of the year and up it to every other day or more in the winter when the salt and sand become a big problem as well as dry air in the house form the heat. since i started this regime, ive never had a problem with cracked paws...and my hands look incredible too! lol

Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,172,892 times
I like Musher's Secret - it's great for all seasons...gives a lot of protection in snow and soothes/protects in the hot desert summers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs