U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:30 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I love the little doggie
You'd better be referring to Artie. He gets jealous when love is doled out to others instead of to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM

12,390 posts, read 31,357,488 times
Have her eyes checked by a Doggie Eye Dr!!!! Sounds like she may have PRA.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,998,761 times
It could also be related to the fact that you have a german shepherd, and they can be protective. When I walk my german shepherd alone or with my wife, he mostly ignores other people and dogs. He will glance at them, and as soon as he realizes they aren't a threat, he moves along without barking or growling.

If my wife walks him by herself, she said the dog will bark at anyone or anything that comes within hearing distance. He barks at people gardening and dogs inside windows. He is very protective of her, but I think he realizes that I am the alpha in our household and don't need protecting. Just a thought. I know some breeds just bark at everything all the time, but german shepherds seem to be a little bit smarter than most.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,798,733 times
My GSD is just about a year old, she used to stare, now she barks, at almost every person and dog she sees. She isn't being aggressive, I think it's more of a "look at me, come play" thing, at least when it comes to other dogs, but it sure scares the hell out of people. It's hard to convince strangers that my quite large GSD is just a puppy who is vocal, they think she wants to attack them.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,786,158 times
That kind of barking is insecurity. The first dog knows you will protect him but is not so sure about your wife.

A confident GSD is not going to go off on anyone unless they are truly a threat. Your wife should get a handle on it. He could also not view her as "in charge" and be resource guarding, not protecting her.

The breed is supposed to be approachable and aloof. The herding dogs who stare are types of collies like border collies you use the highly genetic predatory stare (it is developed from the stare part of the hunt sequence). German shepherd dog herders use their body mass and controlled neck bite (also part of a hunting sequence) to control the sheep.....most of the behaviors we use are refined from pack hunt behaviors.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,757,713 times
staring isn't really an issue without stiff, tail high possible hair standing on end... staring in which case...thats possible agression and/or protectiveness and simply saying stay away. Staring, with tail down and relaxed and no stiffness in body language is probably either just nosiness, interest in his surroundings or like another poster said, trying to "see" whats happening and can't foucus well. oh yeah, and herding dogs do seem to stare a bit anyway...if that is his breed.

Last edited by 60sfemi; 10-29-2011 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: aditional info

Old 10-30-2011, 12:04 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,998,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
That kind of barking is insecurity. The first dog knows you will protect him but is not so sure about your wife.

A confident GSD is not going to go off on anyone unless they are truly a threat. Your wife should get a handle on it. He could also not view her as "in charge" and be resource guarding, not protecting her.

The breed is supposed to be approachable and aloof. The herding dogs who stare are types of collies like border collies you use the highly genetic predatory stare (it is developed from the stare part of the hunt sequence). German shepherd dog herders use their body mass and controlled neck bite (also part of a hunting sequence) to control the sheep.....most of the behaviors we use are refined from pack hunt behaviors.
To me, that behavior is appealing. I don't need the dog to protect me, but I would like the dog to be protective of my wife around others.

He definitely loves everyone at the dog park and playing with the neighborhood kids, and he is well socialized. If he is protective of my wife on walks and inside the home, that is fine by me.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
a simple look at me command is needed here...
while i do agree that staring is not always an agressive stance (unless accompanied by other behaviours) it IS a dominant stance in terms of dog body language no matter where the tail is kept.
eye contact in dogs is VERY important and an unblinking stare IS a challenge whether it be agressive or simply trying to figure out the positon on the chain...

herding dogs stare as a dominance gesture, the intent stare is an intimidation tatict and been bred in on purpose, the stare is literally to intimidate the sheep/cattle.
and this could absolutly be taken as a challeng by a dominant dog.

id definatly suggest teaching a look at me or watch me command...easiest way to do this is to use a treat bring it to your face and as soon as she focuses on your face treat, do this multiple times before adding words, words just confuse things in the beginning because dogs dont speak human...
eventualy youll wean the treat off and then if you want can even wean off the hand gesture of pointing to yourself or your face.

also discourage staring by not playing staring games, blink when taking to her face to face, blinking is a relaxed gesture and will help her relax.

if shes increidbly intent on staring you need to remove her form the situation, simply keep moving, and if moving towards the target isnt going to work turn around and walk a few steps in the opposit direction before turning back and walking the way you were going...itll take a while because shell try and lock on again when you turn back, but as soon as she starts the intent stare switch directions again...the idea being if YOUR unpredicatbale in movment shell have to focus on YOU and not the other dog/stranger/odd happening.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times
Lightbulb Is she a dog lover or a pack leader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
To me, that behavior is appealing. I don't need the dog to protect me, but I would like the dog to be protective of my wife around others.

He definitely loves everyone at the dog park and playing with the neighborhood kids, and he is well socialized. If he is protective of my wife on walks and inside the home, that is fine by me.
He's protecting her in the sense she's "my" female, intitled ownership. He does not see her as the alpha female, which he should. There is always an alpha male and female in a wolf and dog pack. (They are the one's that get to breed.) He senses she can't take care of business, therefore he needs to step up. It is for "pack survival."

Your dog has the pecking order off if your wife isn't above him. It's great that he wants to protect his pack. That makes him a good dog but it makes her a not-so-good pack leader. Which is why he wants to protect her.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,786,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post

The irony is that which you describe about your dog sounds like insecurity NOT protection. Barking at everyone is not the stance a confident dog takes. The outcome can either be

(1) An innocent person is bit because your wife has no command over him and he feels he has to protect himself
(2) Someone tries to harm your wife and the dog tucks tail and runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or