U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM

144 posts, read 502,118 times

Advertisements

Im slightly in shock right now, while browsing Petfinder.com I came across a dog who I know to be dangerous. I have been around this dog, I know that it was fostered with a young veterinary student who gave the dog back because of an "incident" that nobody would describe. The dog was left at a vet hospital until it was involved in an altercation with another dog which led to one person being hurt. The veterinarian on duty threatened to euthanize the dog because the other veterinarian ( Vet B) who placed the dog in the vet hospital ( for extended boarding) would not remove the dog. It came down to the fact that there was nobody who would take the dog at that time. The veterinarian on duty ordered all staff to be hands off with the dog. Forcing Vet B to take care of the dog themselves. After several more days of arguing, threats of euthanasia, and Im guessing contacting higher ups the dog was finally removed. That was about 4-6 mo ago. Fast forward to the dog is listed on Petfinder with the following description:

Hi my name is *******
I am a ********** whose leg had to be amputated after an injury that I had was not treated, but I donít really notice that I am even missing it!! I am heartworm positive, but am undergoing treatment for it. I am very good with people and children, have been told that I am a great snuggler. However, I need to be an only child because I do not get along well with other dogs and cats. I am looking for my forever home who has had experience with a handful like me!

I dont even know where to begin. What does anyone else think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,416,970 times
hard to day... so many variables. been 4-6 mos you say. dogs with proper care can be trained out of aggression. Still heartworms can be a reason for aggression and could the leg. was the leg amputated before confinement or afterwords. Also I know plenty of dogs who were cage aggressive. When they were caged up all the time they got meaner then spit. Let them out for awhile and run and play off the energy and they became sweeter then pie.
If you are so concerned why haven't you contacted the people who have the dog up for adoption? Tell them what you know. You might be surprised with the answer. Talking about it here doesn't really accomplish a thing except get people to talk about it. Dog will still be up for adoption. It is your chose to do something or not.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times
Default Rehab...

Seems like this dog has been through a lot. Perhaps between being caged, surgery and the heartworms...he was a grump-butt (just saying).

They have said he's a handful, needs to be an only child and has issues with cats and other dogs...behaviors that can be modified, however if he is an only child, it won't matter.

At least they are trying to find a forever home and being honest about his issues. This dog is not just for anyone, he needs someone special, he needs a pack leader.

Kudo's to those that don't give up...

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,299,932 times
Is the dog a danger to people or other dogs?

If the dog is good with people but not dogs I just don't see what the problem is. I have a dog that is not real dog friendly. We RV and stay in different places at times and I just make sure that we are not in a position to be up close and personal with other dogs. I will say that she has gotten better. I also know of a family that has a dog that would kill another dog if she had the chance. They know this and take all the precautions necessary to make sure nothing happens whenever they take her to the vet. This dog loves people!

If the person was bit from breaking up a dog fight, well, that happens. Doesn't mean this dog shouldn't be in a loving forever home. I'm just not sure why your so upset.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 AM

700 posts, read 1,668,690 times
I'm not sure the problem wasn't (at least partially) with the place where he's being kept/ boarded. Sounds like a mental ward. Isolating a dog, refusal to touch (and treat?)...yeah makes for a stable dog when it's coming from such a stable environment.

I'm going to say in coded language that all dog rescuers/ lovers/ people with a small amount of brain power can understand the person advertising on petfinder is looking for someone with training skills and at least a basic understanding of a dog's individual situations and background [nature AND nurture at work here] and doesn't just scream KILL IT! at the first sign of a problem.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,052,508 times
I am pleasantly surprised that there is still a good vet (vet B) who actually cares about the dog (I assume that he wasn't get paid to take care of the dog).

Now here is another story. Someone paid $7000 for a fully trained black GSD shipped all the way from East German. That someone kept that dog in a crate in a garage and as I was told he couldn’t even get close to the cage. The dog was labeled super dangerous, even in the cage. The rumor started to spread. The dog was not killed instantly is because that $7000 price tag and his bloodline. My neighbor who just lost his GSD to cancer learned about it. He got the phone number of that someone and adopted the GSD. Now the black GSD is friendly with everyone in our neighborhood. He ran over to see my GSD when she just arrived. She snapped and he just ran back to his owner and look at his owner for instruction. Great Dog!!!

So a dog can change!!! Since they did mention he is not cat/dog friendly, I really don't see the problem.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,303,061 times
Ling Ling, I like that story and do not doubt its veracity but it really doesn't sound like the dog changed; it sounds like the dog was adopted by someone competent to handle him.

If you read between the lines, the ad is saying "this dog has serious issues" much like realtors will call a ridiculously tiny house "cozy" or say that a house requiring a $100,000 renovation to get an occupancy permit "needs a smidge of TLC".

I don't have a problem with it as long as Vet B is involved in the approval of an adoptive person or family. Otherwise I'm not sure his/her conduct is consistent with a conservative interpretation of the principals of veterinary ethics and they may be consistent with a liberal interpretation of reckless endangerment. That seems like an ad that is going to appeal to someone who has watched some dog whisperer or Victoria Stillwell, has a "soul deficiency" and wants someone or something to save while actually not having the slightest idea what to do with a "handful" dog.

Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm or know that his conduct is substantially certain to cause that result. The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM

6,151 posts, read 12,547,241 times
I'm so happy this dog is being given a chance to have a happy life and home. Judging by the wording of the ad, the rescue org is going to do their homework on anyone who applies to adopt this innocent soul, to make sure they have the skills, knowledge and proper environment for the dog to thrive.Hurray for them!

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-04-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
sounds like the altercation was a case of human error...

dog is dog agressive, fight breaks out, peples instincts is to get thier hands in there and break it up. human gets bitten in the crazyness...

in that case the dog is NOT human agressive, people whould NEVER put their soft flesh anywhere neer a dog fight unless you want that soft flesh bitten, potentially very badly...
and if that IS the case, no i would NOT lable the dog as dangerous...

i would as the add states make sure the dog is placed in a only dog home, and that the people interested are VERY ware of the level of dog agression and are full capable and educated to 1: prevent incidents, 2: know how to properly handle the dog should an incidetn happen.

ive met MANY dog agressive dogs who have accidentally bitten people because people have this insane need to stick thier hands in to break up the fight...
they are not dangerous...

a dog who has bitten a person randomly however, say for example the dog was in the vets office and they were trying to take him out of a kennel and he bit the person, got loose THEN started a fight with another dog...then id be more comfortable calling that dog a liability...
but in this case from what you said yourself, it sounds lie a case of human error. never ever put your hands in to seperate a dog fight. slip leashes and a broom handle would have been a much better choice...and a vets office should know that.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,052,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Ling Ling, I like that story and do not doubt its veracity but it really doesn't sound like the dog changed; it sounds like the dog was adopted by someone competent to handle him.]
You are right. My neighbor told me that there were tense moments at the beginning, especially the first three months. Each time, he made sure that he came out as a winner (I don't know exactly what this means but the dog is fine now). Once the leadership and trust were established, the dog becomes an easy going dog. It seems his small dog has no problem to be accepted by the GSD from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs