U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 AM

157 posts, read 235,737 times

Advertisements

We just bought an 8 week old wheaten and have some questions.
We bought her in Texas and her parents are both AKC registered. The breeder is not a professional, but a first time breeder who loves her wheaten.
My questions are:

1. The Mom has an Irish coat and the sire has an American coat. How soon will we be able to tell what kind of coat Sadie is going to have?

2. Is it a concern/problem that her parents have two different coats? (I did not realize this until we went to pick her up from the breeder.)

3. When should I start grooming her? I know how important it is to comb a Wheaten.

4. I know Wheatens have food allergies. Does anyone have any recommendations for food or treats? Sadie is currently on Nutro Ultra Puppy. I also found some wheat free treats from Trader Joes that she tried yesterday and loved.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 11:49 AM

2,520 posts, read 5,342,574 times
I'm no Wheaten Terrier breeder, but I read that there has been research and study that the Irish bloodlines produce a healthier dog due to the larger gene pool and the lack of the crossbreeding that was done by Americans and the British. You can cross an American coated to an Irish coated to produce an American coated puppy with wonderful first generation Irish blood. Part of the litter would carry Irish haircoats with the remaining puppies carrying American haircoats.

The following is from the book The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

American Haircoat:
An American Coated wheaten is a plush teddy bear look and feel, once groomed all hairs appear to be one length with enough body to stand upright from the skincoat. They usually do retain some black in the beard and some black hair in the ears (although not always, one can usually judge this when they are a puppy). The hair grows at a relatively quick and steady rate throughout life. Regular brushing is required. Professional grooming is required every 2 – 3 months.

Irish Haircoat:
An Irish coated puppy is born with soft hair as well. This hair goes through a changing process for several years. They too are born dark and lighten. About the time they leave me, their hair is beginning to have some bristles intermixed with the soft glossy wheaten colored coat which is referred to as the “harsh” puppy coat of the Irish wheaten. Their hair is slow to grow. Professional grooming will not need to be done until they are approximately 9 months of age. At this time scissoring will be done to form the wheaten terrier headset, as well as scissoring to even up the body hair. The haircoat will slowly lighten and by the time they reach the two-three years the hair will have lightened, the hair has softened, falls in beautiful waves and carries an irresistible sheen. Here and there it will carry a few of those bristles in it yet. Because of those bristles, this coat does not tangle like the American coat and does not require the overall grooming of the American coat. In the Irish showring, the SCWT are penalized if they are trimmed with those clippers as used on American coats.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM

157 posts, read 235,737 times
Thanks for the information.

Wheatens look so different to me that I'm not sure if I will be able to tell if Sadie has an American or Irish coat.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,703,190 times
in erms of when to start grooming, start now, there never too young, touch her feet look in her eays, check her teeth, run the comb through her ect, do it every day, keep sessions short. once shes had all her puppy shots take her to the groomer for a puppy session if your planning on having her professionally groomed, the grromer with do nails, bath, brush blowdryer ect, but keep the experiences short and fun, do it regularly so she gets usd to this early on, this early socilization will make yours, hers and the groomers life a million times easier for the future.

in terms of what the coats going to do, its probably likely going to go somewhere in between the 2 coat types, youll know for certain when shes about 2 yrs old (this is when the mature coat seems to be set in most breeds) it could go one way or the other but its more likely to be a combination of the 2 coat types.
sholdnt cause any problems, just means she may not be "show quality" (whihc it doesnt sound like thats what you want her for anyway) and your groomer may have to modify methods to account for the coat she ends up with...the upkeep and low dander low shedding quailites remain the same.

in terms of diet my biggest suggestion is to read the bag, look for a food that has meat as the first ingredient, given a propensity to allergies id go with lam, duck, venison or such and avoid chicken...unless her puppy food is chicken in which case as long as shes ok wiht it you should be fine.
avoid corn, brewers rice (whole grain rice or brown rice is fine, but brewers rice is actually rice hulls not rice itself) and beet pulp (beet pulp is not a good or bad ingredient but seems to be linked to tear staining)

congrats on the new puppy...
now...wheres the pictures :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs