Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times

Advertisements

(also posted in the NJ forum)

I offered to take a rescued pit bull mix that was literally starving to death. He is a very nice dog and is rebounding nicely but needs too much work for me to keep, we both work full time and have two school aged children who need some attention too. Even thin he is a very strong dog and will only get more powerful.
He is very gentle with the kids and willing to follow their commands. He is however fairly dog aggressive so would need to be in a home on his own and/or well socialized.

I'm willing to foster him for now in order for him either to be adopted by a suitable household or to find a place in a no-kill shelter. Some shelters are better than others so I'd like to know which ones I should look into and also if there are any local rescue groups.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Contact the Popcorn Park Zoo in Forked River. They are affiliated with North Shore and should be able to give you some guidance.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM

77 posts, read 115,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

I'm willing to foster him for now in order for him either to be adopted by a suitable household or to find a place in a no-kill shelter. Some shelters are better than others so I'd like to know which ones I should look into and also if there are any local rescue groups.

Thanks.
I haven't looked on the NJ forums and I'm sure they've had some good input but there are some sites with listings of no-kill shelters. I'm not personally familiar with any of them though.
The nOkill Network > No Kill Animal Shelters > New Jersey and PBRC WebApp | Organizations
I'm not personally familiar with any of them though.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Contact the Popcorn Park Zoo in Forked River. They are affiliated with North Shore and should be able to give you some guidance.
That's a great suggestion, thanks.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,523 times
Default Less than a yr old female white pit needs home or foster asap

Hi My name is Lisa Gaglione. A neighbor of mine found a White, Young (less than a yr), Female Pitbull in our town, North Haledon, NJ, Wednesday, August 8, 2013. They were unable to foster the dog until maybe an owner was found so I offered to home this sweet girl for a few days. There were no tags and she is not micro chipped as they had taken her to the North Haledon Police Dept and had her scanned. I am unable to keep her, maybe until Tuesday August 13th, as I have a pet business in town boarding, fostering, walking ext. She is very good with me and my husband but on and off with one of our dogs, a German Short haired pointer. She is friendly to other people for example, if I am walking her down he street, she greats everyone and is very friendly to strangers, but if someone comes in my house or yard, see she gets territorial. Doesn't bite, but jumps and growls. I did, however to test her aggression to strangers, have them wait outside the front of my house, introduce them, then bring them to my yard all three of us together and she is fine with that. Happy,playful ect. Just won't let anyone in. I need help, if possible, either finding her a foster asap, if your rescue can take her, or mabe you know someone I can contact would be greatly appreciated. She has much potential but I feel should not be kept with other dogs and def needs training for the territorial issues. I contacted several rescue groups and animal shelters in surrounding towns and no one will even take a Pit....Ridiculous. I hate to take her to the Paterson pound because I know a bit about the place and she won't even have a chance. Every dog deserves a chance if possible. She's def a good dog. If I didn't have other dogs I would keep her myself. I have attached a couple pictures of her. If there is anyway your group can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please feel free to call me anytime at 973-461-9518 to discuss this further.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Lisa Gaglione
Pics avavilable

Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
There are too many of them. There can't be a place for all of them. They are already overwhelming the system and they just keep coming.

Anyone who wants to help pit-bulls can make a donation to pay for free spay or neuter of pit-bulls in their town. That would help to reduce the flood of unwanted pits and pit crosses.

Not solve the problem. But at least reduce it a little bit.

My opinion: any dog, of any breed, that growls at strangers or starts fights with other dogs, should not be re-homed. There are thousands (hundreds of thousands) of really good dogs being put to sleep for being unwanted. Why take up a good home with a potentially dangerous dog when that home could be given to a really good deserving dog who will be safe and adoring of his new family and won't kill the neighbor's pets or bite the neighbor's kids.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 08-11-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
I HAVE A PIT BULL THAT I NEED A NEW HOME FOR.
I NEED HELP
PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email]siempresoyangie@yahoo.com[/email]
WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME.
WANT A GOOD HOME WITH A BACK YARD. I WILL SEND PHOTOS
PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME

Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 AM

454 posts, read 495,262 times
Reach out to this rescue. Good luck.

Beacon Animal Rescue | South Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs