Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:54 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

So..... Tuesday night I'm driving down my street towards my house. As I was about to leave a stop sign, I just happened to notice movement in the street just ahead of me..... it was 2 tiny dogs running down the middle of the street .... one was mostly white and that was what caught my eye.... otherwise, I may not have seen them until it was too late....

I immediately pulled over and started calling them over to me.... the little white and black one came right over ... collar but no tags.... .... the little brown one was more skittish, but finally got close enough for me to determine that again, there was a collar, but no tags..... and then took off again.... i caught the little white and black one and put her in my car and continued trying to catch the little brown one ... to no avail.....

I drove around my neighborhood for over an hour trying to locate the little brown dog and HOPEFULLY, the dogs' owners out frantically searching for them .... even knocked on a few doors at nearly 10PM ...

NO LUCK on either count..... i spotted the little brown dog a couple more times, but no way was it letting me get anywhere near it.....

took the little white and black one home, put her in a crate and hauled her into the house to meet bailey and dave.....

i eventually let her out of the crate to see if she needed to potty in the back yard and she immediately made fast friends with dave.... and worked very hard at making friends with bailey.... but bailey is the queen in our household and is so far, withholding judgment.....

she slept in the crate in my room that night and i took her into the vet's office yesterday morning to see if she is chipped.... of course, she is not.... i have listed her on a couple of lost pet websites and am keeping an eye on craig's list ..... i still have not seen a single sign anywhere in my area.... i will be posting signs myself tomorrow..... but i really think she and the brown dog were dumped in my neighborhood..... .... i just hope like HECK that someone kind has taken in the little brown dog.....

in the meantime.... she has made herself right at home and crawled right into my and housemate rich's hearts.... she is i suspect a jrt or a jrt mix and only weighs about 14 lbs, so is DWARFED by bailey and dave.... but she and dave still play a bit, which is very cute.... i thought at first she was a puppy, but the vet's office said they think she is a young adult... maybe 1 or at the most, 2 years old..... for being that age and the breed i suspect she is, she is a pretty calm and laid back little girl.... she must have gotten that rare, recessive, calm gene that returningwest's jrt has...... and i can see the intelligence shining out of her eyes.....

charlie-chubby-cat is VERY put out at the moment and i have some concern, because roxie is small enough to get into charlie's safe-kitty places.... so she is being watched VERY closely....

last thing i needed was a 3rd dog, but sheesh.... what are ya' gonna do??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
She's so cute! What a lucky girl that you found her. So you're already throwing in the towel on resisting her charm and keeping her? (If you don't find her owner)
Something about her looks a little beagle-ish to me.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
She is darling, and I agree that she looks beagle-ish. It looks like you have a new family member.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I love Roxie!!!! She's adorable.
And I love you for coming to that sweet girl's rescue.
I wish that you'd been able to catch the brown one. I think it would be fun to have four dogs in the house. Not MY house, mind you... but that's only because Jeremy's limited me to one.

xoxo

Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
She is darling and I hope the brown dog finds a home such as your's.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
She's very adorable!!

Thank you for having such a generous heart!!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Oh, precious, precious, precious!!!! And I agree on the beagle mix!!!

We've got a tan and white puppy that someone threw in the recycling complex gates a few weeks back. Scared silly so I can't get near it. People down the road go dump food and water in the gates for it. People are only there once a week so I don't know what the idiots were thinking that dumped it. I think it can get in and out of the gap in the gate though. If someone doesn't take it home soon, I just may be the reason John goes for more cardiac testing!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
you know.... i thought a little beagle-ish, too.... hard to know.... she certainly hasn't howled or beagled like she has beagle.... thank goodness!!

she is a backup barker.... whenever bailey or dave bark at something outside, she goes on high alert and backs him or her right up with her own little dog bark.....

i'm gonna have to get a picture of her standing beneath dave.... it is hilarious....

and yes, i pretty much threw in that towel when the vet couldn't find a chip..... and rich, big, macho, tough guy that he is, is just besotted with her.... took her with him when he ran a couple of errands yesterday.... couldn't bear to put her in the crate while he was out of the house.....

i live in a bordering-rural suburb of St. Louis.... so given the people in my neck of the woods, i think it is highly likely that they were dumped..... especially since i have not seen one iota of evidence of anyone searching for her.....

Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
well at least shes adorable!

i see chihuahua in the face, probbaly mixed with jrt and beagle from the ears and coloration

Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
Hi Roxie, so happy to meet you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs