Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 16,787 times

Advertisements

I am at my wits end. My daughters 10 month old-95 lb. dog and my 1 year old 27lb. dog somehow found a full bottle of my Voltaren 100mg. and by the time my son got home they had eaten 2/3 of the bottle. I did not return until around 9:00 pm that night and wasn't told about it until my dog started having explosive diarhea and Rosco(daughters dog) started vomiting, which was about 3:00 am. called vet at 4:00 am and was told to bring them in at 4 pm that day, 4 pm really? Anyway he gave them anti-nausea shots and antibiotics and sent them home. My dog quickly recovered but Rosco continued vomiting through the night. Next morning we take him back: lethargic, vomiting and drooling terribly! He kept him overnight, took a blood sample and gave him IV fluids. The next day we were informed he was in Acute Kidney Failure and we needed to keep him hydrated to see if he would pull through.he sent him home (due to money restraints at this point$578.00 and I am laid off) and Rosco seemed better for a minute. He was holding down food(rice&vegis) and drinking water. By the 3rd day he is out of the anti-nausea pills and begins vomiting again. We take him back and we are instructed on how to give sub-q fluids. 12 hours later he is laying next to me looking like he is going to die very soon and I am scared and horrified. He hasn't drank any water or ate in almost 24 hours, less the sub-q fluids I am giving him 500cc per day 2 days now. Please does any know what is going on here. My company moved to Mexico last year,why I am out of work)and I am already in serious $ trouble. I am trying everything I am able to give him but the vet will not do anything without $ upfront. Here is his last bloodwork-BUN-68, CREATINE 5.4, PHOSPHORUS 9.2, CHLORIDE 87, SODIUM 139, WBC 27.7, MCHC 38.9, NEUTROPHIL SEG 79, EOSINOPHIL 1, ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHIL SEG 21883, ABSOLUTE MONOCYTE 1939. Microscopic view reads: Neutophils appear slightly toxic. I don't know what else to do, please help me help Rosco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM

106 posts, read 440,228 times
Having Trouble Affording Your Pet? : The Humane Society of the United States

I don't know what state you're in, but try this. His blood panel does not look good and he is going to need probably more than sub q fluids and with his white count high some antibiotics. Go anywhere to another vet and walk in and say help. say it loud.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 AM

106 posts, read 440,228 times
Also here: Diclofenac Use in Dogs | eHow.com

And from above:
[LEFT]The Veterinary Partner fact sheet recommends watching for the following symptoms if your dog is being treated with an NSAID like diclofenac: change in appetite, change in urinary habits, vomiting, diarrhea, black or bloody stools, or a change in behavior. Similar or more severe reactions can occur if your dog received an accidental dose of the drug and a veterinarian should be contacted immediately.
In an emergency, pet owners can also contact an animal poison control center. Pet hotlines available include the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-426-4435) and the Pet Poison Helpline (1-800-213-6680).

Read more: Diclofenac Use in Dogs | eHow.com Diclofenac Use in Dogs | eHow.com
[/LEFT]

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Lifeline grant here : RedRover : Programs : RedRover Relief : RedRover Relief Grants

Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i agree giving the lifelines a call is a good idea,
unfortunatly if hes already in advanced kidney failure that i dont think theres much you can realy do at home, he would need some SERIOUS vet care to pull through this.

generally with any OD (like in people) the first 12 hours are the most important, longer than that though and the complications set in. sounds like Rosco got the majority of the medication.

its so hard ot see them suffer but if you cant afford his care and hes still going down hill humane euthanasia might be your best choice, kidney failure isnt something one just recovers from with iv fluids unfortunatly

*hugs*
no more medication left anywhere neer where the dogs can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs