Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM

95 posts, read 315,038 times

Advertisements

I really want to get a Bulldog but I have heard that they have alot of medical problems. What is everyone elses experience with this breed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,554,406 times
You need to find a good breeder so start by asking the local bulldog breed club or go to bulldog events and ask owners or perhaps locate a vet that works with a lot of bulldogs and maybe he/she could at least steer you to owners of some healthy bulldogs that would tell you the breeder theirs came from.

My brother has two you can see photos of them if you look at my photo albums as they are in the Dog Friends album. The males face is a lot more smooshed then the females and yes he has more breathing issues and he tires out faster , is even less tolerant of the heat ( they do not tolerate heat so if you live where it gets hot better have air conditioning). He also had eye lashes that grow into his eyes so had several surgeries to fix that and over all he has cost them more in vet bills. The female seems very healthy, is very active and loves to play and leap and yes she is even fast. My dogs love to play with her . My brother likes the look of the male better but I think the female is a much better looking dog.

I am sure MAK will jump on here as her boy PC is another great looking,active and healthy bulldog so she will be able to give you good advice. Good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,518,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM1 View Post
I really want to get a Bulldog but I have heard that they have alot of medical problems. What is everyone elses experience with this breed?
Don't get me wrong I love bulldogs but a 100% Old English Bulldog is not a healhty dog by nature. They can't mate on their own nor can a femalre have the puppies without csection generally this right off the bat tells you it's not meant to happen in nature.

That said they are awesome dogs and getting a healthy one from a reputable breeder will make your chances of hving health problems much less.

That said even the healthiest bulldogs are going to be not very tolerant of heat and cold. Most likely giong to have rashes and some minor skin problems and most likely will have to feed them specialty food and not stuff from the grocery store.

I have an Old English Bulldogge which is a mix of Am Bulldog and Mastiff and I think Pitbull. They tend to have less skin problemsMine gets bad allergies, rashes, etc. I normally have to take him into the vet every month or two to get a shot as well as some ointment for allergies and

I also have to buy dogfood thats about $80 for a 40 pound bag, helps with his stomach as well as his allergies.

They are expensive dogs to own, they are not a dog you can bring to the park, to a family reunion, etc they have to be kept in the air ni the summer. They are not a dog that's going to go running with you. They are also very stubborn.

I love my dog but I got one having never owned one and he is definatley a handful cost more money than past dogs and requires a lot more patience than other dogs i've owned, etc.

They are great dogs but more work and more money than other breeds. I think everyone sees them on tv nad on cards adn think I want one but they are a lot of work and money

Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,912,771 times
I've had 2. Rugby lived to be 12 and never had any health issues. Rita is 7 and has had health issues. They are prone to bladder stones which Rita has had problems with, eye problems and other issues that neither one of mine had are skin and breathing problems. Their wrinkles need to be kept clean on a weekly basis or they can get infected.

They can be a very stubborn breed. Rita would love to be in charge if you let her, so training is very important from the beginning. She required a lot more training and a firmer hand then the male. Thankfully she has mellowed with age. Rugby was very laid back and loved everyone, two or four legged. Rita loves people but not so much other dogs. Not all, just some. She was more energetic then Rugby. When we lived in eastern NC she tolerated the heat quite well.

It's not only about health issues but also about being the boss. I've seen some aggressive bullies, toward people which they aren't supposed to be, mainly because of a lack of leadership. Making sure they know you are in charge is very important. Doing your homework with this breed is also very important.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,256,733 times
Some recent threads about Bulldogs:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-me-about.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...h-bulldog.html

I said it before and I'll say it again...it's all how you raise them and where you get them from. We have not a single health issue with our PC, he's extremely active and extremely healthy. Don't overfeed them....most people seem to think they are supposed to be 75 lbs...not the case. Males 50, females 40 according to breed standards. Ours is around the 50 mark. He's also a dream to train, we almost neve use a leash (unless required by law) because he doesn't stray and listens to us. Never been crated, not a chewer, just a really, really good dog. I love him and can't imagine life without him.

Also, he's extremely active. If we don't take him to the beach or park every day, he'd get zoomies and run through the house like a crazy dog! Tons and tons of energy and stamina. Some recent pictures of the "lazy" Bulldog. You can see more in the above thread.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,804,426 times
Please don't read MAK's posts or look at PC's pictures. Once you do, it is likely you will irremediably fall in love with bulldogs. Well, I did!

The guy (PC) is the most adorable bulldog I have seen in quite a long time!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
One question: Is PC politically correct?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,651,562 times
The Aussie terrier is a great dog from a good breeder!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,759,974 times
My FIL raised english bull dogs, his were all white. They were nice friendly dogs. I do not know of any specific health issues, however, they did seem to have odor issues. He was always bathing them.

PC is a charmer!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,554,406 times
Since the above post mentioned odor.. I will add they do fart a lot because they swallow a lot of air and it can clean out a room. My brother and his wife have 3 sons so they were use to that behavior already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs