Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times

Advertisements

What solution? liquid? powder?

At the other thread about ear canal, Zymox Otic With Hydrocortisone was mentioned for the chronic ear inflammation.

Do any of you have special tricks in ear cleaning? Please share.

I use cotton balls to prevent water into my Bulldog's ear when he is being bathed. I am still looking for a good solution to clean his ear. He does run away when he saw a bottle in my hand. So it is always a struggle to clean his ear.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Since moving to the south east coast I have had more problems with my pets ears then I have ever had. The vet I talked to said yeast infections are horrible here. He suggested I mix some clear vinegar and hydrogen peroxide together and use that to clean their ears. Honestly I have personally had better luck using straight Witch Hazel. I wet a soft piece of cotton or gauze and use my finger to clean the ears. Sometimes I put a few drops in the ear and clean it out too. Usually my dog loves it and won't fight me--my cats are another story. They hate it and fight me the whole time. I wish there was something that worked perfect but even perscriptions don't seem to always do the trick. It appears to be a never ending problem in some places. So I am open too for any great cures to this problem. The Witch Hazel is safe and natural and works pretty good but do not get it in the eyes of course!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
I use a liquid ear cleaner. Put a few drops in and clean with a cotton ball. As for getting water in their ears at bath time you can put some alcohol on a cotton ball and wipe the ears out, the alcohol will absorb any water that might be in the ear.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Witch Hazel and alcohol. Interesting. Thanks for the tips.

Any other input? Especially, any favorite formula of the liquid ear cleaner?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:16 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Zymox is the best thing ever for our Bulldog. He used to get ear infections and hasn't had one in over a year now, since we started using this. Just once a week is all you need. We first got it from our vet, but Amazon has it for much, much cheaper.

Amazon.com: Zymox Ear Cleanser With Bio-Active Enzymes, 4 oz.: Pet Supplies

For actual cleaning, Douxo Micellar solution is wonderful. Again, our vet first sold it to us but Amazon again is much cheaper. His ears have never looked better, it gets the gunk way down in the ear canal, not just on top.

Amazon.com: Douxo Micellar Ear Solution - FOR CATS & DOGS (4.2 fl oz): Pet Supplies

Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Zymox is the best thing ever for our Bulldog. He used to get ear infections and hasn't had one in over a year now, since we started using this. Just once a week is all you need. We first got it from our vet, but Amazon has it for much, much cheaper.

For actual cleaning, Douxo Micellar solution is wonderful. Again, our vet first sold it to us but Amazon again is much cheaper. His ears have never looked better, it gets the gunk way down in the ear canal, not just on top.

Amazon.com: Douxo Micellar Ear Solution - FOR CATS & DOGS (4.2 fl oz): Pet Supplies
Yep I use the same stuff and it does work and my dogs ears have never been cleaner .

Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
You use the first one as a maintance and the other to clean correct?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
For routine cleaning I use Nutri-vet pads. They are presoaked with cleanser so you skip the squirting-the-ears step that animals seem to hate so much. For yeast infections, Zymox works well for me too.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post

Thanks. I already have Zymox at home just in case he has ear problem. But I haven't use it. I thought it should be only used if there is an indication of inflammation and infection. From now, I think I should use it weekly for prophylaxis purpose. I will definitely look into that Douxo-Micellar ear solution.

To Phonelady and subject2change, thank you for confirmation and input.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:30 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Thanks. I already have Zymox at home just in case he has ear problem. But I haven't use it. I thought it should be only used if there is an indication of inflammation and infection. From now, I think I should use it weekly for prophylaxis purpose. I will definitely look into that Douxo-Micellar ear solution.

To Phonelady and subject2change, thank you for confirmation and input.
Zymox is not an antibiotic (which is why Amazon sells it), it can be used as often as you like. We use it once a week for maintenance and it is the best thing we found. Our vet said it's best used before the problem occurs, not when the only option is antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs