U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,515,821 times

Advertisements

Could be worse, you could have 2 dogs that hunt for prairie dogs all day long. One of them is a very good hunter - 3-4/week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,956,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Could be worse, you could have 2 dogs that hunt for prairie dogs all day long. One of them is a very good hunter - 3-4/week!
No thanks, I'll deal with what I've got. Prairie dogs are too big. I don't think I'd want one of those dropped at my feet or in my hand.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,515,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
No thanks, I'll deal with what I've got. Prairie dogs are too big. I don't think I'd want one of those dropped at my feet or in my hand.
She was nice enough to "sneak" one in the house last week!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
She was nice enough to "sneak" one in the house last week!
Awwwwww... so sweet of her.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,031,947 times
Talking Pack mentality...

From the wolf/dog-pack stand point, she is bringing back prey to the den. I would have to say it is nice that it is not other vermin. You can train her to put them in the bucket and even ring a bell when she does so she can get her praise reward. That is what she is after, your praise.

Keep the bucket by the door, attach a bell to it (maybe a sleigh bell type) she can nose it after dropping the shell into the bucket...and you can praise her. Then you don't have to touch it and she gets her retrieving and praise fix.

You just need to keep the bucket handy on her approach, you could use "release" for her to drop it in the bucket (or whatever word of choice). Once she releases it, then touch the bell and praise her. She's smart and will most likely have this in a few days (may only take a couple of days.)

Have fun!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM

26,943 posts, read 5,795,572 times
What a great idea!!

.....my lab used to bring back box turtles...lol...and also stones, as big as he could carry in his mouth.

His teeth were ground down to little nubbins by the time he died.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
From the wolf/dog-pack stand point, she is bringing back prey to the den. I would have to say it is nice that it is not other vermin. You can train her to put them in the bucket and even ring a bell when she does so she can get her praise reward. That is what she is after, your praise.

Keep the bucket by the door, attach a bell to it (maybe a sleigh bell type) she can nose it after dropping the shell into the bucket...and you can praise her. Then you don't have to touch it and she gets her retrieving and praise fix.

You just need to keep the bucket handy on her approach, you could use "release" for her to drop it in the bucket (or whatever word of choice). Once she releases it, then touch the bell and praise her. She's smart and will most likely have this in a few days (may only take a couple of days.)

Have fun!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post

Have fun!
This is a terrific idea! I'll definitely try it. Thanks so much for the information.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,169,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
This is a terrific idea! I'll definitely try it. Thanks so much for the information.
LilyLady, would you please post a picture if the idea works?
This might be beyond adorable!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
LilyLady, would you please post a picture if the idea works?
This might be beyond adorable!
You betcha! I can't wait to try this.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,031,947 times
Keep in mind she is already doing this natural action for you by bring it to you and handing it over. By using a natural action, it will be much easier to train her to drop the shell into the bucket.

You touching the bell at first when she "releases" the shell will teach her this is when she will get her reward, which is the praise.

I would love to see a picture or video?

***Excited and waiting***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or