U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,144,921 times

Advertisements

I posted a question last week wondering if antibiotics could reduce the effectiveness of Frontline. Here is my follow-up and next question.

I found fleas and two ticks on my dog seven days ago. He had two doses of Capstar (1 pill a day for two days) followed by a really good bath. Two days later, I dosed him with Frontline plus (medium dog strength - he weighs 27 pounds).

I saw him scratching today and found a couple of fleas - again!

I ordered this box of Frontline Plus from an online company based in Australia that was recommended by a friend with a lot of dog experience. Do you think it could be fake?

We are switching to Canine Advantix just in case, but I'm really curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 02:39 PM

7,764 posts, read 9,326,836 times
I buy my Frontline from Australia too. I have never had a flea or tick issue, even though my dogs are in and out of the woods frequently. I have heard, however that heat can deteriorate the Frontline. If there was a chance this could be the case (sitting in mailbox, etc) then you may have your answer.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM

According to these websites eBay Guides - HOW TO SPOT COUNTERFEIT FRONTLINE FLEA MEDICATION and

eBay Guides - HOW TO SPOT COUNTERFEIT FRONTLINE FLEA MEDICATION

I think I do have counterfeit Frontline. My packages do not have the notches between the vials and have an orange line, dose in mLs, say "water fast" and have expiration dates.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "real" package to compare with to be sure.

Should I go get Advantix from the local big box store and redose him? I have a call in to the vet, too.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,697,337 times
I would call your vet. Perhaps they can figure out what is in the vials that you have and go from there. They will probably recommend continuing with capstar until you no longer see fleas. But, I would really recommend a flea bomb for your house or spraying the yard because if your dog is infested, it is definitely possible that your home and yard are.

I only buy ours from Dr. Foster and Smith and have never had a problem. I would be comfortable ordering some from Canada I guess but any other country, not so much.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,305 times
I had some problems with Frontline (bought from my vet) a few years ago when we had a bad flea year....like you, I applied it, but was still seeing pretty robust-looking fleas. Which was only a concern because at the time I had a highly flea-allergic dog. When I asked my vet about that, he said that fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline) makes fleas hyperactive....most fleas spend a few hours on a host; and most spot treatments require the flea to make at least brief contact with the pet to be effective.

But...I started talking to people and researching online and saw many, many anecdotes of Frontline no longer being effective. I go to another vet sometimes for rescue/foster dogs and cats. He said that he'd had so many complaints about Frontline not working that he no longer dispensed it....he liked Sentinel or Revolution. Advantage is available now without a prescription.

That said: the last couple of years haven't been bad for fleas here in Michigan so I haven't really had to use flea meds. This year again it got bad and I bought PetArmor, (generic Frontline/fipronil from Wal-Mart) and it's been working fine. If you've got a bad flea infestation in your house and yard, I agree: you need to treat everywhere, not just your pets.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:29 PM

We are definitely going to treat the yard, but I will have to do more research before treating the house. I really worry about chemicals like that in our home. We don't have any wall to wall carpet - just throw or area rugs that I have drug outside for airing and beating. Our dog sleeps in a crate and I pitched his bedding and bought new. He can't get up on furniture.

No humans have had any bites, so I don't think we have a huge indoor problem.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,305 times
Not all chemicals are harmful and there's natural chemicals - pyrethrin is made from crysanthemums (there's a synthetic version too) and is considered quite safe. Unless you're a flea.

Borax or diatomaceous earth work mechanically to kill fleas both indoors and out.

Could be all you need to do is switch flea treatments. Not sure if antibiotics could affect Frontline - the active ingredient stays in the hair follicles and glands on the skin, unlike some of the others which enter the bloodstream. It'll be interesting to see what the vet says on that!

I wouldn't dose more frequently than recommended...I believe it even says on the box not to do that. It does on my Pet Armor (the generic Frontline sold by Wal-Mart) package: Do not reapply.....for thirty (30) days.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
Frontline stopped working on fleas in my area a couple of years ago, I started using Advantage from Australia last year and haven't had any fleas on my dogs or cats. In fact this year I have only had to use it one time all summer.

The flea meds do work but it is possible that you will find new fleas occasionally if you haven't treated your yard.

I thought you were not suppose to give the capstar but once a month. If your dogs still had fleas it seem as though you need to treat your yard.

Check out this it is not toxic http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceou...FYWW7QodWCEd8w

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 AM

13,747 posts, read 12,282,533 times
if you are going to treat your lawn, use this

You will need:
  • One full can of regular pop (any kind-no diet soda)
  • One full can of beer (no light beer) 12oz
  • 1/2 Cup of Regular Dawn Dish Detergent (do NOT use anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid)
  • 1/2 Cup of household ammonia
  • 1/2 Cup of mouthwash (any brand) I use Listerine
Directions:
  • Pour into 10-gallon hose-end sprayer (other sizes will work too)
  • In high heat, apply every three weeks
The 10-gallon hose end sprayer is actually quite small, enough to fit the undiluted solution. You can find them in most hardware stores, and I found one for less than $10 at Amazon. You fill the hose end sprayer, attach it to your hose and turn on the water. The solution is mixed with water as it sprays out, automatically diluting it, and should give you enough for 10 gallons of the diluted mixture. I hope that helps.
That's it! Simple, easy, cheap and very very effective. But I already know what you're asking. How does this work? Well, Heffron explains the science behind the homemade tonic:
The liquid soap is a wetting agent, helping the formula penetrate the roots.
The ammonia promotes growth and turns your lawn green.
The mouthwash does something you would never suspect mouthwash would do. It kills the bugs and grubs.
NOTE: Do NOT use anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid in the mixture as it will kill off important microbes in the lawn and soil that help "digest" thatch.

I used this 3 times a week when I had my dobies...we had a huge flea problem and it really did cure it. As far as your lawn, it will certainly make it grown much greener and cleaner...Ammonia gives your lawn nitrogen and it was safe with the dogs...once it's under control, using it only once a week will help in cooler climates. It really works...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 AM

19,144 posts, read 13,970,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Frontline stopped working on fleas in my area a couple of years ago, I started using Advantage from Australia last year and haven't had any fleas on my dogs or cats. In fact this year I have only had to use it one time all summer.

The flea meds do work but it is possible that you will find new fleas occasionally if you haven't treated your yard.

I thought you were not suppose to give the capstar but once a month. If your dogs still had fleas it seem as though you need to treat your yard.

Check out this it is not toxic Buy Diatomaceous Earth to kill fleas, ticks, bed bugs and parasites naturally
You are correct and I have used Diatomaceous Earth with no problems for years--no intestinal worms no fleas no ticks no poison and I live where the insects thrive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs