U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,740,335 times

Advertisements

theres so many reasons.
economy...just not being able to afford the dog, loosing their home, having to move to a none dog friendly place ect.
time...some peoples scheduals just have to change and they feel its better for the dog
and in many cases...unfortunatly...boredome...
asfter a few years of being tied to a dog (or any pet) some people just get bored and like other posessions they get bored with simply see no good reason not to just "throw it away"

many wonderfull dogs end up in shelters because "the kids lost interest" or "we wanted to go on more vacations" or insert other innane reason here...
we live in a throw away society and some people just dont seem to realy care that a dog or cat is not a sofa and cant just be tossed away when your bored...

id say if the vet papers check out and you arrange a meeting and that goes well, id just take it as a cases of "the family outgrew him" and take advantage of the work theyve already put in. the dog certainly deserves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,055,415 times
I know a family has three English Bulldogs because husband loves them. Well, husband moved out. All of them were given away. Luckily, they are popular, well cared and got adopted fast.

I know a girl bought a beautiful Rottweiler puppy as a gift to her boyfriend. The boyfriend couldn't keep him so the puppy stayed at girl's home. After a year, they broke up and the puppy was adopted to someone I know. The person who adopted the dog was my dog walker and treated my dog well. I thought the puppy was a lucky dog. One day, she was on the cover of our local newspaper. She has stabbed all her dogs, leave them rotten in her home. There is a photo of the dead rotti with two front paws covered his face. The photo has haunted me. And the dog walker actually has mental problems. I met her daughter and mom before. None of them told me anything. I often wonder about that girl who abandoned the rotti. What she was thinking when she saw the newspaper?

Last edited by LingLing; 08-22-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 6,898,025 times
All our pets are/were rescues and WONDERFUL dogs.

We adopted a one year old poodle who "grew too big" according to the former owner who wanted "to get rid of her". She was a normal sized Standard Poodle. Her former family then bought another tiny dog a week after we took her, poor dog, I heard from a friend of a friend. Our girl lived 14 years and was the sweetest!

We adopted a German Shepherd Dog whose former owner went into a nursing home and his family dumped the 9 year old dog at the high kill shelter because "no one in the family would take her"! The most devoted sweet dog we have ever had.

My Golden Retriever was dumped at the shelter because he was "hyper and unruly". NOT. He was just one year old puppy and needed daily exercise, which his clueless former owner didn't provide. He is a well behaved gentle dog because he is exercised properly now.

I could go on about the others. None of our dogs OR cats we adopted from shelters were given up by their former owners because they were bad animals. On the contrary.

When we add another dog to the pack we bring our current dog to meet the potential dog at the shelter. THEY picked each other as companions. We just agreed with them

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-22-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,642,668 times
Same thing, about adult cats. I adopted my cat, Jasper, off of CL, nothing wrong with him, he is a great cat. Why did someone just want to get rid of him? Go figure it.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,291,506 times
yeah some people are just lame, and do not want any responsibilities... they just succumbed to the puppy cute in the petstores.... rescues are full of friendly dogs.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
Well we were too late for that particular dog and we are sad. I'm still looking and hope something happens for us soon. One was turned into the neighboring county pound at 2 p.m. today and it will be noon before we can go see her. They won't hold her and I know nothing about her but it is worth checking out.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,413,264 times
Small paws is a rescue group that handles a lot of bichies.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,642,668 times
Karma. You will find the perfect dog. It may just take some time. I truly believe in things happening for a reason. You just don't know the cosmic order...

On getting a dog on a whim...there was a puppy store by my house, in Palm Beach Gardens, a cute store, all white and frilly, the puppies were in small white cribs, converted into puppy holding. It was a darling place, right by the pizza place, and other stores in the high end strip mall by our house. Of course, the owner assured me that NONE of the puppies came from puppy millls, they were all hand raised by elderly women, supplementing their Social Security checks.

This place was DESIGNED for spur of the moment, fall in love with puppy cuteness, and take one home....regardless of if you had time for a dog...it was a place close to the high school, and catered to high school girls...who had rich parents....the average cost of a dog at this place was around $600...

My daughter often dragged me in there, to check out the puppies. She begged for one...who could resist? ME, the big meanie...

But there were always puppies flying out of this place, and more where they came from...even now, with the economy down....and always dogs available from the shelter, purebred...no doubt, from this very puppy factory....

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,515,821 times
Easy question - people suck...

Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 AM

6,191 posts, read 15,320,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Well we were too late for that particular dog and we are sad. I'm still looking and hope something happens for us soon. One was turned into the neighboring county pound at 2 p.m. today and it will be noon before we can go see her. They won't hold her and I know nothing about her but it is worth checking out.
Oh shoot...well hopefully that little dog got a great new home and your search is successful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or