Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,221 times

Advertisements

what is wrong, then, with the dyson that i sometimes have used (is my roomies), I use my Eureka, boss, smartvac with better, great, results...

noone else has ever had any problems with the dyson.
I was actually going to start a thread about the dyson, so many people love it, and for the price, they should, so maybe we just have a bum one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
what is wrong, then, with the dyson that i sometimes have used (is my roomies), I use my Eureka, boss, smartvac with better, great, results...

noone else has ever had any problems with the dyson.
I was actually going to start a thread about the dyson, so many people love it, and for the price, they should, so maybe we just have a bum one!
You could very well ahve abad one. Like everything, there will always be some bad ones that sneak pass QC. But you did say soemnthing that many consumer testing companies mention in small prints of their reveiews. Dyson's price almost forces people to love it otherwise they have to admit they spent so much and got little.

What I think really is happening is Dysons's models usually are the first to incorporate some new features (they lead and not follow the pack). People have problems with pet hair, Dyson responded and was the first to actually work consistently. Naturally everyone who =bought it was coming from a lower quality vacum and of course it worked beyond anyones expereinces with anything else. Even today people with pet hair problems will jump to the Dyson because it has a reputation of working and they are leaving behind their not so good vacum.
BUT...
In the last year or two, other companies have made major advances equal to or better than the Dyson at much lower prices, but they are not as widespread and are new. So people with those are not switching from the newer models to dysons because they already have a new model that works. This means that there is little to compare the newwer models to the dyson. Consuumer reposrts did a reveiew and if I remeber correctly, about 5 models were equal to or better than the latest greatest dyson and at a price that was half or less. It really said that you no longer need to spend that type of money to get the performce if you research the new models. Just like the new LG Kompressor, its kinda hard to find that model in the stores because its so new and is bought pretty quickly which means odds are you may never meet a person who owns it who can tell you how good it is. Many peaple have been saying some of the new shark models beat the more costly dyson for cleaning pet hair and they say it because many have now bought it so the customer base is big enough to start hearing more reviews.

If you own a Dyson and it works, keep that bugger until it fries.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
This doesn't pertain to the house, but my Labs shed terribly in my cars. I've never found a vacuum that can pick it up. The other day I got frustrated trying to vacuum the carpet that seemed to take forever. I got my yard blower and fired it up, opened all 4-doors and blasted away. Within a minute it was as clean as new. Just a helpfull hint (It is tempting to use it in the house, but I'll probably avoid doing that for the time being).

Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I just bought a Shark Navigator for around $180. It is GREAT.. It picks up more dirt and hair from the carpet than the Sears Vacuum I had plus it doesn't spew out find dust particles. I love the fact that there are no filters or bags to buy. The filters are washable.

I spent a fortune for filters on the Sears Vacuum. I also have a Hoover windtunnel with a bag but the belt keeps breaking. I am not strong enough to put it on so I have to find someone to help me with it which is a PIA.
I purchased the Shark Navigator after a neighbor with two active dogs told me about it. I paid less than you, Keeper, but it was on sale at Target. Works very well and no bags, especially good if you have teens that never check the bags. The chamber in the Navigator is transparent, so the kids like to see the fruits of their labor when vacuuming...

Old 08-31-2011, 09:19 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Call me cheap but I just can't justify the expense of a Dyson. They are good machines but they just don't seem that much better than a "mid-range" vac. I personally like the Kenmore canister vac. It has the great wide attachment for our hard wood floors and switched to the upright mode easily. With 4 dogs, we need a vac that can stand up to being used every day. We have had it for over 4 years now with no problems. It does use a bag but I find that it catches and holds a lot more dander than a lot of the more popular models. It weighs a lot less too!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I got a Hoover "Mach 3" bagless at Walmart about 6 years ago. It works fine picking up the peke's hair,
in fact I had one before that and I broke the release lever so my husband sealed the bottom
and you had to empty it from the top...I didn't want to bother with that so I gave it to my niece
and it still worked. I think they are about $100 or less.
I've read a lot about the Dyson, they sound very good but so far I don't want to spend that much.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
With 4 labs and a golden retriever, I know a little about dog hair!! I recommend the Dyson Animal as others have. It just got a good work out today!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Op, get a vacuum that runs itself twice a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year...that's what I really need.

Meanwhile, have a Dyson pet vacuum.

Buy it at Costco and save some $$$.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Dyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
We have a Dyson (yellow ball), it works better than anything else we've owned, it's amazing what comes out of the carpet each week. I hear the Dyson Animal is even better, but it was a bit out of my price range.
I have a Dyson but I've taken it in a lot b/c the dog hair gets caught in the rollers. I try to get it out but I have 2 Shelties (long hair) and yes, they shed that beautiful fur. Oh well, I love them so much anyway.

I'll have to check out that Dyson Animal.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I have a Dyson but I've taken it in a lot b/c the dog hair gets caught in the rollers. I try to get it out but I have 2 Shelties (long hair) and yes, they shed that beautiful fur. Oh well, I love them so much anyway.

I'll have to check out that Dyson Animal.
That happens with the animal one, too.
2 collies here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs