U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow we drive 3 hours to pick up our new rescue fur baby. The post says he is Bichon/Maltese mix and his picture sure does look like Bichon but when I asked how much he weighs I was told SIX POUNDS! Well that is a little bitty poot and so much smaller than any Bichon I've ever heard of so I'm guessing he is more maltese than anything else.

I've read about the breed but i wouold like to hear from somebody who actually owns a Maltese. We have 1 9 year old female Bichon who weighs 15 lbs and 2 twelve-fifteen lb cats. I'm really excited about meeting him but worried about his small size.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
They are kinda stupid (for toy dogs) but I love them

Mine weighs more than my Bichon.

My Maltese is pure bred but on the heavy side (he is a pig) my Bichon is taller but on the light side (picky eater) so he weighs less than my Maltese.

The Bichon is really REALLY intelligent and responds to commands very quickly. the maltese is kinda hard headed and needs to be told over and over again before he gets it.

the maltese is more laid back. You toss him in bed on his back with his legs up in the air and that is how he stays all night.

The bichon is more tightly wound and sticks to you like glue so everytime you get up the Bichon gets up too.

Both are really loving dogs though. I am so attached to both breeds.

A bichon/ maltese mix is probably really cute. The Maltese with the ever growing single coat and the bichon with the shorter but thicker double coat makes for a great combination

Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,507 times
i have to disagree that Maltese are necessarily stupid. Intelligence is an individual matter. One of the Maltese we had years ago was extremely intelligent, sometimes too smart for our good. LOL. Now, of course, I don't base intelligence on obedience (although obedience is a good thing) but on how fast a dog figures things out including things you wish it wouldn't.

I would not over-worry about the maltese with the animals you mention,other than taking time to properly introduce him to his new pack. They're not that much bigger than he is. Our Maltese's best dog pal was a kerry Blue Terrier (larger than your Bichon).

Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM

88 posts, read 179,668 times
I'm so happy you are adopting your maltese. Far too many people think its easiest to purchase a small-breed dog and go to petstores, backyard breeders, and support puppymills.

Best of luck and have fun with your new dog!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,377,589 times
My experience with my pure breed/ maltese... male... very smart and had a personality of a large dog... so friendly with everyone but the very long hair was hard to deal with in the winter or the mud so we used to have the coat trimmed short (I didn't show him so didn't worry). Small but not yappy... he followed me around like a shadow... this post brought up great memories.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,176,808 times
Excellent choice!!!

I have had Malteses for many years and have nothing but wonderful things to say about them.
They are very loving, very loyal, and very intelligent, and learn quickly even when taught later in life (I have adopted some, one of the best things I ever did!).
I have countless cute, funny stories about their great behavior and personality.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM

29,986 posts, read 16,580,107 times
My maltese, Casper, was on the larger side as well - he was probably 10 lbs.

But he was a loving sweetie; the perfect little gentleman. He stuck to me like a fly on flypaper. He could do all kinds of tricks; was champion off-leash walker (he couldn't stand to let me get out of his sight); spent hours traveling in the car; and was housebroken.

My first dog of my very own.

I kept his long hair short because we were very active. Casper's only problem (and this was probably my fault) was that he did try and bite strange dogs on the nose. Once he got to know a dog, though, he was fine with big dogs, little dogs, etc.

RIP Casper.

I'll bet you will love your maltese!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
i have to disagree that Maltese are necessarily stupid. Intelligence is an individual matter. One of the Maltese we had years ago was extremely intelligent, sometimes too smart for our good. LOL. Now, of course, I don't base intelligence on obedience (although obedience is a good thing) but on how fast a dog figures things out including things you wish it wouldn't.

I would not over-worry about the maltese with the animals you mention,other than taking time to properly introduce him to his new pack. They're not that much bigger than he is. Our Maltese's best dog pal was a kerry Blue Terrier (larger than your Bichon).
never said they were necessarily stupid. said kinda stupid compared to other toy breeds. kinda stupid in relation to a group is not the same as necessarily stupid.

maltese don't rank high in intelligence tests compared to other small breeds. Bichons, Poms, Schnauzers, Papillions, Miniature poodles etc responds to new commands 50% or more of the time, while Maltese do only 30% of the time.

No need to get upset. Its not like I said they are retarded or something. They are just kinda stupid compared to other little dogs. I still love them, they are very loyal. But if you have experience with a variety of small dogs you find that Maltese and Chihuahuas have hard heads.

Why do you think they say it is so hard to house break a maltese???Fortunately mine came already house broken. he does tricks, and all that monkeying around small dogs do, but simple things like lets go took him some time to get. BTW the Bichon responds to silent (mouthed)signals and hand signals too.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:26 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,581,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
never said they were necessarily stupid. said kinda stupid compared to other toy breeds. kinda stupid in relation to a group is not the same as necessarily stupid.

maltese don't rank high in intelligence tests compared to other small breeds. Bichons, Poms, Schnauzers, Papillions, Miniature poodles etc responds to new commands 50% or more of the time, while Maltese do only 30% of the time.

No need to get upset. Its not like I said they are retarded or something. They are just kinda stupid compared to other little dogs. I still love them, they are very loyal. But if you have experience with a variety of small dogs you find that Maltese and Chihuahuas have hard heads.

Why do you think they say it is so hard to house break a maltese???Fortunately mine came already house broken. he does tricks, and all that monkeying around small dogs do, but simple things like lets go took him some time to get. BTW the Bichon responds to silent (mouthed)signals and hand signals too.
I was and am not upset. I merely said that intelligence is individual. There are highly intelligent dogs of all breeds and ones that are, frankly, stupid (again in all breeds). Most fall somewhere inbetween and it's these "inbetweeners" that actually make the best pets for most people.

Most canine intelligence tests are based on obedience and I did say that I did not use that criteria. The obedience criteria means that breeds bred to work closely with humans, such as herding and sporting breeds, rank at the top whereas more independent breeds, such as hounds and many terriers, tend to rank lower. If the criteria was changed, the order would change.

The housebreaking difficulty, which we luckily did not have with our Maltese, is actually said about most, if not all, small (Toy) breeds but is actually more of a human failing than a dog one.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:14 PM

221 posts, read 810,011 times
I had a maltese. They are very loving dogs and are lap dogs. She was definately a barker though. She barked at everything. She never bit but sometimes when i brushed her she will go at my hand but never bit it. I had her for 12 years. Besides the barking she was a great dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs