U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which flea product is best?
Revolution 4 80.00%
Comfortis 1 20.00%
Sentinel 0 0%
Other (please post below) 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,010,327 times

Advertisements

My dog Rudy (5 1/2 year old 40lb mutt) is allergic to flea bites, so he gets REALLY uncomfortable when even one gets to him... unfortunately we're having an outbreak right now, so I need to get something asap. I've tried Capstar and Frontline without much luck, and used Comfortis once with slightly better results. I've heard Revolution is great, and the vet at a mobile clinic suggested Sentinel - mostly because it also treats heartworm. I also have 3 cats, btw, but due to the size difference I'll need separate boxes regardless of the brand.

So between Revolution, Comfortis and Sentinel, which one would you all suggest? Or is there anything better? And if you also have cats, would you recommend any of these or something different for them? Planning to attend another mobile clinic this week, since they have VERY good prices... they also do a free heartworm test if you buy the product, and Rudy is due for one of those too. Please advise or answer the poll soon, as we're going on Wednesday or Thursday! TIA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 PM

P.S. I haven't done monthly treatments for a while, since the fleas aren't a constant thing around here... and with a dog and 3 cats, it's just too much money for something that's only occasionally an issue. Heartworm is also quite rare in the Bay Area, as we don't really get mosquitos. But he did get that treatment regularly until a few months ago (when I lost the box), so I am planning to get a 6-12 month supply this week. That's why I'm considering Sentinel, as it kills two bugs with one stone.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
Firstly, b/c your dog has been off of the heartworm meds, he should be tested for heartworm before a heartworm medicine is administered. You can make him very sick or even kill a dog if you administer heartworm meds to a dog that already has heartworm.

I use Revolution on my cat and it works very well. She is indoor/outdoor, so she definitely needs something that will control parasites as well as fleas. The only thing that I can say is that it has a very pungent odor--almost like that of [toxic] Hartz products--and she hates when I put it on her b/c the odor is so strong that it makes her eyes squint.

So, the only experience I have is with Revolution. However, I am in a completely different geographic area (southeastern U.S.); for example, Frontline works here, I put it on my dog monthly. Hence, I can't really advise you which would be better b/c geography seems to play a big part as to which product will work the best. I would consult with a vet; they usually have a better understanding of which products work the best in their area.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Firstly, b/c your dog has been off of the heartworm meds, he should be tested for heartworm before a heartworm medicine is administered. You can make him very sick or even kill a dog if you administer heartworm meds to a dog that already has heartworm.
Yes, I know... mentioned above that you get a free heartworm test with the product (at those mobile clinics), so I was planning to do that this week.

Quote:
I use Revolution on my cat and it works very well. She is indoor/outdoor, so she definitely needs something that will control parasites as well as fleas. The only thing that I can say is that it has a very pungent odor--almost like that of [toxic] Hartz products--and she hates when I put it on her b/c the odor is so strong that it makes her eyes squint.
Two of my cats are also indoor/outdoor, so that's probably where the fleas are coming from now. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
So, the only experience I have is with Revolution. However, I am in a completely different geographic area (southeastern U.S.); for example, Frontline works here, I put it on my dog monthly. Hence, I can't really advise you which would be better b/c geography seems to play a big part as to which product will work the best. I would consult with a vet; they usually have a better understanding of which products work the best in their area.
They do have vets on-site at those clinics, so I'll consult with them when I go this week... I recently moved and haven't found a regular vet yet, plus I don't want to pay that $100+ "initial consultation fee" when he only needs flea/heartworm meds. I took him to my old vet for a regular checkup & vaccinations shortly before moving, so there's no need for a full visit at this point in time. Hopefully the mobile vet will advise me on what's best, but it's good to hear personal recommendations!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM

P.S. At that last visit (about 5 months ago?) they did test him for heartworm, and it came out negative... I didn't get the meds, though, which is why I'll probably need another test now. D'oh!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. At that last visit (about 5 months ago?) they did test him for heartworm, and it came out negative... I didn't get the meds, though, which is why I'll probably need another test now. D'oh!
Sounds good. I think Revolution might be a good idea for all of the animals (just don't mix up the boxes!) but, again, I am not familiar with your geographic area. Just do the heartworm test beforehand, and see what the mobile vets have to say about whay they've noticed works the best in the area. The indoor/outdoor cats should definitely be on something that prevents against parasites, as they are probably doing quite a bit of hunting and eating of mice, birds, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Sounds good. I think Revolution might be a good idea for all of the animals (just don't mix up the boxes!) but, again, I am not familiar with your geographic area. Just do the heartworm test beforehand, and see what the mobile vets have to say about whay they've noticed works the best in the area. The indoor/outdoor cats should definitely be on something that prevents against parasites, as they are probably doing quite a bit of hunting and eating of mice, birds, etc.
Bindi the 3yo does bring home the occasional bird/mouse, but Cyrus (10yo Persian) only likes to hunt woodchips... don't ask, LOL.

Anyway, there are only 3 votes on the poll so far, but they're all for Revolution - so I'll definitely ask about that one at the clinic!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Bindi the 3yo does bring home the occasional bird/mouse, but Cyrus (10yo Persian) only likes to hunt woodchips... don't ask, LOL.

Anyway, there are only 3 votes on the poll so far, but they're all for Revolution - so I'll definitely ask about that one at the clinic!
I would love to see a pic of Cyrus stalking a woodchip, LOL!

Even if they aren't bringing their prey home to you, that doesn't mean that they aren't hunting and eating what they catch and kill. My cat is outside a lot and has never brought a "present" home. However, I have seen her hunting--I've even stumbled upon "leftovers" from one of her kills--so I know that she needs to take something to control parasites. Sometimes, they just don't want to share with you

But the Revolution should be okay but I will reiterate that, if you have all of the animals in your household on the same topical, don't mix up the boxes!! Not that you are incompetant, but it happens, and the cats could get really sick if you put the dog's Revolution on them by mistake.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,375,511 times
I haven't tried the other two, but Comfortis is amazing. Some of the over-the-counter pills work in several hours, and a flea can bite a dog many times in several hours. The first treatment of Comfortis is to be given outside the house, since the fleas die within 10 minutes and will fall to the ground, eggs and all. After that, once a month keeps my dogs protected.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,273 times
Is Revolution one that will kill fleas BEFORE they bite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs