Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,113,790 times

Advertisements

This is really hard.

DW has started a good job on the other side of the Metroplex (Little Elm, TX to Arlington, TX if you're curious) and the hours + commute time are brutal...so I'm thinking of relocating closer to her job.

The problem with showing our home is:

a) fixing it up after raising a Bordeaux puppy, if you know what I mean

and b) letting a realtor show it while we're working while the most vigilant guardian you could want is at home.

There's no crate, 105 degrees outside (he's brachycephalic and doesn't do hot) and really moody about not being able to watch the goings on around his home. Our area is building and we may finally see an increase in property values, but this is something that we can't sit on. We've got family that maaaaaayyyyy be willing to take him for awhile, but other than bording him for an extended time are there any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,249,670 times
Do you have a doggie daycare in your area? He would not be home for daytime showings and would probably have a good time. Our daycare doesn't let the dogs outside when it's really hot. Since you would be home at night (I'm just presuming here), you could walk him or take him for a ride.

It can be difficult to see a home when there are pets involved. We went through the process with a dog and several cats. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM

409 posts, read 869,684 times
Even if it was cool outside, I don't think you could leave him out while showing the house. If I was interest in your house I would want to see the yard too and I would not go out there with a big dog like that. Keeping him closed up in a spare room would not work for the same reason.

Either buy a crate for him (assuming he will not bark at the viewers) or shell out the money for daycare/boarding.

Side question, where did you get your Bordeaux? I too live in the Dallas area and interested in that breed. No I can't watch your dog.

Last edited by lemonegg; 08-31-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,113,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Even if it was cool, I don't think you could leave him outside. If I was interest in your house I would want to see the yard too and I would not go out there with a big dog like that. Keeping him closed up in a spare room would work for the same reason.

Either buy a crate for him (assuming he will not bark at the viewers) or shell out the money for daycare/boarding.

Side question, where did you get your Bordeaux? I too live in the Dallas area and interested in that breed. No I can't watch your dog.
Thought about shutting him up in the bedroom, but two things would happen: The bedroom couldn't be shown until the other thing happened - he eats through the door to see what's happening in the house.

As for crating, we have a huge crate in storage but the devil's in the details - it's a huge crate and doesn't go with the interior if you know what I mean.

I won't give the retailer the advertisement, but just believe that we're glad we saved him from that life and hate ourselves for giving them the business - we'll never do that again, we got lucky with him.

It does appear that a local daycare type establishment would be a way for him to be home nightly and still have the freedom to list the house. I just needed to ponder it among friends.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,782,592 times
doggy day car or private care taker who can come and take him out during showing apointments and set it up so that the realtor can show by apointment only so you know when he needs to be out of the house for a while...

Old 08-31-2011, 04:34 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,613,424 times
Well, you just found a perfect business to start.

-ELMER House Showing Pet Services -
Is your house for sale?
Do you have a pet that interferes with showings?
Would you like a safe and secure place for your pet during those showings?

If you said yes to all three, there is a solution.
ELMER' S will pick up your pet (1/2 hour pre notice required)
Transport it to our safe and secured climate controlled indoor play area. Keep it there for as long as needed to show your house.
Service avilable from 8am to 9pm, 7 days a week.

Now think about it, your problem can be a money making solution for you and a solution to the hundreds of other homeowners in a similar situation. Yes it cost more than a day care but what will a person be willing to spend to get their home sold? The key is the pickup and deliver so that when the call comes in for a showing one hour from now, you know the pet has a place to go and thats one less worry for the seller.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,019,423 times
PacificFlights- You may be on to something.

OP I would look into doggie daycare. You should be able to request that your realtor give 24 hour notice on any showing and then be able to schedule accordingly and not have to shell out cash every day.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,879,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Well, you just found a perfect business to start.

-ELMER House Showing Pet Services -
Is your house for sale?
Do you have a pet that interferes with showings?
Would you like a safe and secure place for your pet during those showings?

If you said yes to all three, there is a solution.
ELMER' S will pick up your pet (1/2 hour pre notice required)
Transport it to our safe and secured climate controlled indoor play area. Keep it there for as long as needed to show your house.
Service avilable from 8am to 9pm, 7 days a week.

Now think about it, your problem can be a money making solution for you and a solution to the hundreds of other homeowners in a similar situation. Yes it cost more than a day care but what will a person be willing to spend to get their home sold? The key is the pickup and deliver so that when the call comes in for a showing one hour from now, you know the pet has a place to go and thats one less worry for the seller.
That's a brillliant idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
PacificFlights- You may be on to something.

OP I would look into doggie daycare. You should be able to request that your realtor give 24 hour notice on any showing and then be able to schedule accordingly and not have to shell out cash every day.
We just sold our house.

1. I work from home.
2. If I'm not home, Artie is NOT the greatest welcoming committee.

Tell your realtor that you need to confirm showings. That's what I did. The realtor's office called me, said an agent wanted to show my house between X o'clock and X-thirty o'clock, and I took Artie for a walk 15 minutes before X and returned when I saw their cars gone.

Absolutely you can have the realtor's office confirm appointments and not just walk in. Just to prevent an accidental drop-in, if you have a second lock on your door -- the lock on which the realtor's lock box is NOT on -- make sure you lock that one too.

If you can't go home and take Elmer out, maybe a friend can?

Also, many viewings happen in the evening and weekend, rather than in the middle of the work week. Yes, some occur during the work day, but the vast majority are later or on weekends.

I really hope that you can work this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs