U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,354 posts, read 16,827,643 times
Reputation: 11463

Advertisements

and her vaccinations and was chipped this afternoon.... she is the picture of health... no heartworm, no intestinal parasites.... NADA..... ... but boy, did she YELP when they chipped her....

vet says she is probably about 9 months to 1 year .... and here i've been saying NO MORE PUPPIES ..... and REALLY doesn't think she is spayed....

soooooo.... if that is indeed the case, i will likely be having a little girl go through a heat in the next few months.... something i have NO experience with..... any advice from y'all with more experience than i have would be appreciated.... are there signs that a heat may be imminent??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
Reputation: 47257
chastity belt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,666 posts, read 26,731,689 times
Reputation: 26636
Awww, poor baby girl! And poor Roxie, too.

I'm glad that she's a healthy... PUPPY! LOL! (Sorry. )

I've got no heat information for you, but I think that Jessiegee can shed some light. I remember that Bella went through a heat (or several?) before she was spayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM
 
1,257 posts, read 4,061,136 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
soooooo.... if that is indeed the case, i will likely be having a little girl go through a heat in the next few months.... something i have NO experience with..... any advice from y'all with more experience than i have would be appreciated.... are there signs that a heat may be imminent??
My friend makes her dog wear her husband's underwear to prevent....
But your two males may go crazy even they are neutured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
Reputation: 4912
Yay for Roxie! Glad to hear that she is healthy!

It isn't the worst thing in the world that she will go through a heat cycle before being spayed, although that usually tends to benefit larger dogs while smaller dogs tend to be more prone to mammary cancers if not spayed. However, I think that one heat cycle might help her immune system, especially given what she has been through.

Heat cycles are actually pretty easy to manage, although they are more difficult when the female is young; I think that the scent is much stronger when females are young.

That said, go to a local pet store and buy some doggie diapers (I would only get two b/c you will not need them again), some liners and a spray to mask the odor. Most of the diapers are machine-washable, so you can pop one in the washer while she is wearing the other. Even though you can also buy liners, the diapers still tend to need frequent washing b/c she will be getting saliva on them due to her complusive desire to lick (she'll probably lick anyway, even with diapers on, b/c they can usually lick when lying down).

And LingLing is right: your males will still react to her even though they are neutered; fortunately, nothing can come of it , but they will probably be very interested in her nether regions while she is in heat. So, I would also confine and/or crate her so that she does not have the boys sticking their faces in her behind every chance that they get. I imagine that is not something you will want to continually watch, either

Also, remember that you may get some young males that come by a-courting--the smell is usually so pungent and attractive to young, unneutered males that they will be able to smell her from far off, even though she is contained and wearing a diaper. However, the spray should be able to help with that somewhat. But take a stick or something with you when you have to take her out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,354 posts, read 16,827,643 times
Reputation: 11463
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
My friend makes her dog wear her husband's underwear to prevent....
But your two males may go crazy even they are neutured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yay for Roxie! Glad to hear that she is healthy!

It isn't the worst thing in the world that she will go through a heat cycle before being spayed, although that usually tends to benefit larger dogs while smaller dogs tend to be more prone to mammary cancers if not spayed. However, I think that one heat cycle might help her immune system, especially given what she has been through.

Heat cycles are actually pretty easy to manage, although they are more difficult when the female is young; I think that the scent is much stronger when females are young.

That said, go to a local pet store and buy some doggie diapers (I would only get two b/c you will not need them again), some liners and a spray to mask the odor. Most of the diapers are machine-washable, so you can pop one in the washer while she is wearing the other. Even though you can also buy liners, the diapers still tend to need frequent washing b/c she will be getting saliva on them due to her complusive desire to lick (she'll probably lick anyway, even with diapers on, b/c they can usually lick when lying down).

And LingLing is right: your males will still react to her even though they are neutered; fortunately, nothing can come of it , but they will probably be very interested in her nether regions while she is in heat. So, I would also confine and/or crate her so that she does not have the boys sticking their faces in her behind every chance that they get. I imagine that is not something you will want to continually watch, either

Also, remember that you may get some young males that come by a-courting--the smell is usually so pungent and attractive to young, unneutered males that they will be able to smell her from far off, even though she is contained and wearing a diaper. However, the spray should be able to help with that somewhat. But take a stick or something with you when you have to take her out.

thank you both.... i appreciate the advice and insight.... thank goodness that dave is the only boy left in the house.... charlie-chubby-cat and bailey are both girls.... dave was neutered at 8 weeks and at nearly age 3 years now still squats to pee and has never lifted his leg to mark a thing in his entire life.... so maybe he won't get so crazy....

i have a crate that is large enough for her to sleep in very comfortably and can borrow a larger one if she needs to be crated for longer periods of time, although i don't imagine THAT will be pleasant either....

i live in a semi-rural / suburban area of st. louis, so knowing the mindset of many of my neighbors, i am guessing there are a LOT of un-neutered fellas in the area.... one of my neighbors across the street and 2 houses down to start with .... so i don't think she will be leaving my back yard for the duration.... and she won't even be out there unsupervised.....

the diapers and spray.... are they in the grooming supplies area?? or maybe in the house training supplies area??

and yes d .... they had her in the back area where they did the shots, clipped her nails, did her anal glands, etc. and i STILL heard that yelp.... about broke my heart..... and her little face when they brought her back to me.... well, that was even worse..... but she was JUST FINE and her happy little self by the time the vet finished his examination and we were leaving....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
Reputation: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
thank you both.... i appreciate the advice and insight.... thank goodness that dave is the only boy left in the house.... charlie-chubby-cat and bailey are both girls.... dave was neutered at 8 weeks and at nearly age 3 years now still squats to pee and has never lifted his leg to mark a thing in his entire life.... so maybe he won't get so crazy....

i have a crate that is large enough for her to sleep in very comfortably and can borrow a larger one if she needs to be crated for longer periods of time, although i don't imagine THAT will be pleasant either....

i live in a semi-rural / suburban area of st. louis, so knowing the mindset of many of my neighbors, i am guessing there are a LOT of un-neutered fellas in the area.... one of my neighbors across the street and 2 houses down to start with .... so i don't think she will be leaving my back yard for the duration.... and she won't even be out there unsupervised.....

the diapers and spray.... are they in the grooming supplies area?? or maybe in the house training supplies area??

and yes d .... they had her in the back area where they did the shots, clipped her nails, did her anal glands, etc. and i STILL heard that yelp.... about broke my heart..... and her little face when they brought her back to me.... well, that was even worse..... but she was JUST FINE and her happy little self by the time the vet finished his examination and we were leaving....
I would ask when you get into the store, as each store is different. But everytime I have looked for them, they are usually in the "grooming" area (with shampoos, etc.)

FYI, I stumbled upon this website when I did a search for the spray--one brand is called "Lust Buster", LOL! (:

How to Keep Male Dogs Away From Females in Heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,666 posts, read 26,731,689 times
Reputation: 26636
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
and yes d .... they had her in the back area where they did the shots, clipped her nails, did her anal glands, etc. and i STILL heard that yelp.... about broke my heart..... and her little face when they brought her back to me.... well, that was even worse..... but she was JUST FINE and her happy little self by the time the vet finished his examination and we were leaving....
Dogs are incredible people, aren't they?

Artie goes in the back and I hear him barking like a madman... until they muzzle him. The whole episode makes me crazier than it makes him, I know that. And then he comes out, just like Roxie, with a jump in his step and a smile on his face, all proud of himself. I really need to take lessons from these furry folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
4,584 posts, read 5,017,736 times
Reputation: 4346
Glad Roxie is healthy!!! Bella went thru 2 heats and that was enough. It is a pain!! I bought 2 cloth doggie diapers that stay on with velcro. I didn't get any pads cause I don't think they would really help. The diapers move around alot so the blood doesn't just stay in the middle.

It last a long time. If I remember right it can last up to 3 weeks. I don't know of any signs that tell you it's going to start except the male dogs that start to show up on your door step. Be watchfull because she will probably be in heat before you realize it.

I do believe its better for them to go thru 1 or 2 heats before they are fixed. Bella did seem like she didn't feel very good. Very moppy and just wanted to lay around. Which was ok because I could take her out for a walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
4,033 posts, read 8,591,485 times
Reputation: 4912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Glad Roxie is healthy!!! Bella went thru 2 heats and that was enough. It is a pain!! I bought 2 cloth doggie diapers that stay on with velcro. I didn't get any pads cause I don't think they would really help. The diapers move around alot so the blood doesn't just stay in the middle.

It last a long time. If I remember right it can last up to 3 weeks. I don't know of any signs that tell you it's going to start except the male dogs that start to show up on your door step. Be watchfull because she will probably be in heat before you realize it.

I do believe its better for them to go thru 1 or 2 heats before they are fixed. Bella did seem like she didn't feel very good. Very moppy and just wanted to lay around. Which was ok because I could take her out for a walk.
It's funny that you mention the change in temperament b/c my dog is like that as well. Not really mopey, but definitely tired, and her appetite increases.

And you're right--it does last a while: 3 weeks is the standard length of a heat cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top