Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

New Delhi, India (AHN) - In an attempt to get rid of countless stray dogs lurking around roads, the city council in the Indian capital of New Delhi has proposed a new idea of shipping them to Korea, where dog meat is widely consumed in soup.

The problem of stray dogs is so widespread that the council is also planning to drug the canines to make them sleep through out the day, so they do not hinder traffic movement. If this was not enough to make you wonder about the future of stray dogs, the officials also expressed their desire to send all the dogs to neighboring states, so that "Delhi can be saved."

Dog Soup - The Suggested Remedy For Stray Dogs - Ship Them To Korea | August 17, 2007 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008222373 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,473 times
Sad...Very sad...

Old 08-17-2007, 06:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
When I reach a call center (any time, any call center) I always ask where they are located (curious minds want ot know). Often, it's India.

So, next time I get someone in India answering my call, I'll tell them how I feel about this, and how much love and joy a dog can bring into one's home and heart, and how dogs here are family members. I know I can't change the world, but maybe I can make one person at a time think about dogs from another perspective.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
New Delhi, India (AHN) - In an attempt to get rid of countless stray dogs lurking around roads, the city council in the Indian capital of New Delhi has proposed a new idea of shipping them to Korea, where dog meat is widely consumed in soup.

The problem of stray dogs is so widespread that the council is also planning to drug the canines to make them sleep through out the day, so they do not hinder traffic movement. If this was not enough to make you wonder about the future of stray dogs, the officials also expressed their desire to send all the dogs to neighboring states, so that "Delhi can be saved."

Dog Soup - The Suggested Remedy For Stray Dogs - Ship Them To Korea | August 17, 2007 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008222373 - broken link)
OMG! That's horrible! I didn't think things could get much worse for those poor things and now this! This can't be true.. Is this a joke? I'm ashamed to be a human! These poor dogs don't deserve this! This is absolutely heart breaking!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,480 times
I dont even want to read that article... thinking about it disgusts me. Poor dogs.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,215 times
I actually saw a show on TV about restaurants-I don't remember where but I think China-where they had cat on the menu. It was a delicacy, fried like calamari, and the cats were in cages in dreadful condition in the kitchen. Much like lobsters in a seafood place. I know we are supposed to respect cultural diversity and if a person valued chickens or cows, they probably could feel the same about us. But---- Geez! Isn't there some general world view that there are livestock animals and those that are not??

Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM

159 posts, read 355,691 times
Default Third-world

It's a good reminder of how India is still a third-world country regardless of what they would have you believe.

I can't even begin to imagine that the h**l they are thinking.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Nobody in a call center is going to care what your opinions are on what their City Council is doing with stray dogs. They are a major problem over there, and because of the Councils inhability to actually deal with the problem years ago, they are now stuck in this situation. They could have forced neutering, whatever, but they didnt.

As much as I wouldnt eat Dakota, who am I, the one who eats very rare steak, to judge what somebody decides to eat on another continent ? It drives me crazy when vegetarians blast me for it, and I cant turn around and blast somebody else for eating something else in turn.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,377 times
If they feel the need to do this, I just hope the dogs are treated humanely while being shipped and are killed humanely. Which I highly doubt will happen on both counts.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
We face similar issues in our own country, look at feral cat popuations.

It would seem India cound do what we often do to manage feral cat colonies here - Trap-Neuter-Release and then wait for the dog population to naturally die out.

Their reason for sending the dogs to Korea may also be monetary - maybe they are selling the dogs for a price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs